Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

Alaska Trip Plan

We drove an RV to Alaska in an RV about eight years ago from SW Oregon and really enjoyed the trip. We think we will be able to do it again this year. Our travel notes identifying our stays and stops on that trip seem to have disappeared. Yes, I have the Milepost and Church's Travel book but trying to work out a trip on the maps is difficult and time consuming. I am wondering if anyone has a trip plan set up and can provide that plan as a suggested route with overnight stops, lengths of time spent in various locations such as Dawson City, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Denali, Homer, Hyder, etc. I guess I'm a bit lazy and would prefer to modify a trip plan to meet our needs rather than start from scratch. Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
We have our 2014 Alaskan trip outlined in a WORD document with mileages and days spent at various locations. I could email you that if you want it. I just don't know if you or I want you to tag along with us though.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled to Alaska in 2012 after many months of planing. Here is a copy of a post we put on this site, this may help in your planning.

We traveled form NY to Alaska and back in 4 plus months and 14K miles in 2012. Went across the northern US RT90. Turned north at Glacier Park thru the Canadian Rockies and onto the Alaska Highway up to Fairbanks. Took a plane ride thru Denali National Park and landed on a Eldridge Glacier. The Plane ride was one of two reservations made. The other was at Tutka Bay Lodge across the bay form Homer, Ak.; where my wife and grandsons participated in the cooking school. Tuned south and traveled on a Ferry on the Inter Coastal Waterway form Haines to Juneao, Sitka, Ketchikan, and back to Canada at Prince Rupert. Then down to Seattle, Columbia River Gorge, Yellowstone, Cody, and down to Denver, Pikes Peak and back home to NY.

We created a blog of the entire trip starting in May 2012:

We planed our trip using RV adventure Videos. These proved to be the most informative on roads, campgrounds, restaurants, interesting sights, and activities along the way. These are videos we used : "Alaska; RV adventure of a life time", "RVing Alaska", "The Great Rocky Mountain Adventure Glacier Park and Canadian Rockies", and " Alaska Inside Passage". See their web site: RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions

We also watched the videos as we traveled to make sure we captured all the sights.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE.
2004 Meridian, 2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Airforce one
FMCA 403779
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies and information. I also received a private message suggesting RV.net as a source for information.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Texas Boomers Club
We spent 45 days in 2012 from South Texas to Alaska and return. You can see our travels on:

CPCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
We spent 10 weeks this past summer traveling from So Cal to Canada/Alaska. This was our route, if you look at another map up close you can pretty much follow our route. We went up on the right side and came down the left. Take a look and I'll answer any questions about this route.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2441588318.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	57637
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Phone/contact every CG you plan to stop, they change every year because the "depression" hit Canada just as hard as it did in the U.S. Some places are closed, some are limited to Elect. only in spring from frozen plumbing. We overnighted at one CG that only had 15A Elect, their plumbing had frozen and they didn't have the money to replace the pipes. The owner said we were the only guests they'd had that year and it was late June.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
We did Alaska from Wa a couple years ago and only made 1 reservation. That was in Teklanika, Denali Park and if you wish to do this make the reservations NOW or take a chance. If you want full hookups you may need to look ahead, but I do not like a timed itinerary just a idea of a route or the places I want to see. That way one can route by weather not by reservations. We never had a problem with hookups, never unhooked the trailer for the towed, we are 63' long. But did call ahead the day or day before we wished a camp spot and did more boondocking than hookups. A tip we learned was to get a few windshield covers(the interior type" to shut out the light for sleeping.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote