Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, what to expect?

It will my first year camping at the ABQ Balloon Fiesta. I'll be in the dry camp section. Figured I didn't need the view from the MH as I'll be on the field every morning anyways.

Who has been before? I've never been to an event with rally style parking, how does that work? Are there any issues with security (from either campers or locals) that I should be aware of? Any suggestions on other things to do while in town?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 01:15 AM   #2

You will have a view because they'll be taking off and landing all around you. It's awesome!

Security is no issue. Lots of friendly people attend this event.

The free shuttle stops at specific spots and even if you're walking toward a bus stop, they'll stop for you..just wave. They're super nice drivers and drive the route all day/night until closing. It's a great way to get to the Fiesta grounds.

They are always asking for crew volunteers and if you can, sign up and you might even get a free ride.

Bring a jacket for early morning hours. It usually warms up nicely.

If leaving the grounds make sure you know when they'll be closing some roads for the Fiesta so you don't get locked out.

Be sure to go in the Balloon Museum.

We spent the full time period at the Fiesta because we were crewing. We got there the day before it began and left the day after to avoid the mad rush.

They will have a tank pump out service and also a water service. You'll see sign-up areas.

Have a great time! ... and you WILL.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

All go points made by twogypsies.The only thing I would add that we did was, take day trips after the morning launch. We went to Santa Fe for the day, and other small towns. We brought our Goldwing with us, which made traveling the mountains fun.You
will enjoy it.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:27 PM   #4

A lot of hot air !
Sorry, I just had to post that.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will have a Great Time. The RV park is managed very well, traffic is controlled by gate watchers.
We have been volunteering since 2010 and will be back this year. Come see us and sign up to crew. Crew registration will start on Wen before, or you can sign up here. http://www.balloonfiesta.com/pilots-...w-registration

If you would like to volunteer http://www.balloonfiesta.com/operations/volunteering
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #6

We are heading down for our first balloon experience this year. We are Escapee members and will be rallying with them and have already signed up to crew for a captain. Looking forward to the event and following this thread for hint and tricks of the event.
GQcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
SHO, now that the fiesta has come and gone, what are your impressions? We are planning on making that trip next year(2017) and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks;
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone who has been either this year or previous years have any words of wisdom for a new attendee? We are really looking forward to hearing journey and our time at the fiesta.
Thanks;
Old 10-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #9

Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, what to expect?

Attended this year first time, the only word to describe 'amazing' watching the morning glow, mass assertion, special shapes amazing show. I was in Presidential lot which I now believe is the only way to visit, out of crowd, great view of field, close to field entrance if interested.

Charlie & Debi
2014 Tuscany 42WX
2015 Jeep Wrangler
CRay_Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #10

We stayed 10 nights in the dry camping area and enjoyed it. Balloons landed right in front of us and a free shuttle came by our motorhome approximately every 10-15 minutes. It made many stops in the campground and even if you were walking and not at an official bus stop, just wave and he'll stop. You could also walk to the take-off area. They do offer tank pump-outs and water fills - not from the same truck! Many RVing groups park together so if you're a member of a particular group or particular make of RV, check them out to see if they offer a group gathering.

We also volunteered to crew on a balloon and it was an awesome experience along with getting a very long free ride. It's a commitment because you have to be on the grounds early to prepare the balloon for take-off.

I'd highly recommend that you stay on the grounds at one of their many sections with various prices. The outside RV parks raise their prices during this event - even all the way to Santa Fe. Also, roads are closed at certain times of the day leading into the grounds so you'd really have to time it right. Oh, and the traffic coming in and going out..... yes, definitely stay on the grounds itself. The Balloon Fiesta has a great web site with all information for camping. Reserve early.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:18 AM   #11

First Timers in 2017

We are in the planning stages for Albuquerque for 2017. First timers, so finding this thread is a Godsend at the moment. To say I'm a bit overwhelmed is an understatement. It will only be our 2nd RV trip, so there's lots to think about and consider. We're planning on joining up with a rally group as well, if only to get the "lay of the land" for the future attendance...and I still have a lot of "research" to do.. One question I do have, which may be a real "newbie" question to some..we are amateur/hobbyist photographers...and I've seen shots where the photog was on a plateau or similar above the fiesta grounds for the mass ascensions, looking down on the field during the launch. Is that an "open" area..can anyone go up there or is it restricted? I'm not thinking of taking our "rent-a-rig". Our plan is that once that's parked, it stays...thinking more of hiking/walking up there if it's an open area....Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFixitCT View Post
I've seen shots where the photog was on a plateau or similar above the fiesta grounds for the mass ascensions, looking down on the field during the launch. Is that an "open" area..can anyone go up there or is it restricted?
Yes, you can easily walk up there from the balloon takeoff area. It's where the expensive RV sites are located. However, just walking the grounds when all the balloons are getting fired up early morning is a joy to behold and you can walk amidst them and get some great photos.

You have a trip to really look forward to!
Old 10-21-2016, 04:59 AM   #13

Good to know!! Thanks!! I'm hoping to get some good shots all over the place. Headed out later today to the Carolina Balloonfest up near Charlotte NC for the weekend...supposed to be a spectacular weekend here, and only a few hours away..

Thanks again!!
Old 10-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Mrsfixt;
If you are planning on attending the Fiesta next year, you might want to go to the website and register for a camping spot. The reservations opened up on the 18th that is when we made ours for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. We are in the dry camping area. I would think that it fills up quite fast. Best of luck.