Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #1

Albuquerue Ballon Fiesta

Any tips on where to stay that's not a rip off and maybe even a shuttle to the event?
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Any tips on where to stay that's not a rip off and maybe even a shuttle to the event?
Thanks!
We have stayed at the KOA in Bernalillo which we liked very much. As far as seeing the Balloons, we go south on the 25 and get of at ROY / TRAMWAY Exit, go west to the 66 station and park in the rear. You can see it all from there and no balloon traffic to contend with. Just get there EARLY.
You can scout it out in advance to make sure it will work for you.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Good luck..... It has been several years ago, but we had reservations there for the Ballon Festival. When we arrived we were told we were in the overflow area. What a joke, we were across the road in an area they had just graded level, and had absolutely nothing. Just a flat gravel area, not even marks or stripes, nothing. No water, no sewer, no power. But you could drive across the road, use their dump, fill your water tank, or use their bath house.... And of course you learn this when you get there, and everything else is booked for 100 miles. And with our luck it was cloudy, cold, and raining everyday. They flew balloons one day that year...pretty miserable week, dry camping in cold wet weather.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Stay in the dry camping lot south of the balloon field. There are shuttles that come by every 20-30 minutes to take you to the launch field. The balloons, depending upon the wind, come over your RV if you sleep late and don't make it to the launch field. You will not have a good balloon experience if you stay in a private RV park a couple of miles away. Don't do it.

Don
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes
Good luck..... It has been several years ago, but we had reservations there for the Ballon Festival. When we arrived we were told we were in the overflow area. What a joke, we were across the road in an area they had just graded level, and had absolutely nothing. Just a flat gravel area, not even marks or stripes, nothing. No water, no sewer, no power. But you could drive across the road, use their dump, fill your water tank, or use their bath house.... And of course you learn this when you get there, and everything else is booked for 100 miles. And with our luck it was cloudy, cold, and raining everyday. They flew balloons one day that year...pretty miserable week, dry camping in cold wet weather.
I failed to mention, we were at the KOA.....in Bernallilo
Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I failed to mention, we were at the KOA.....in Bernallilo

We stayed at that KOA the night before we were allowed in to the dry camping area at the balloon park. It is a good park but not one you would wan't to stay at to see the action as it unfolds.

Don
Old 08-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
You will not have a good balloon experience if you stay in a private RV park a couple of miles away. Don't do it.
Having lived in ABQ for 5 years I think this statement is 100% wrong. We lived ~10 miles away from Balloon Park and never had any problem having an excellent experience. It is best to get up early and get to the park in time to hear the weather briefing for the pilots. I think this is around 6am. Traffic isn't too bad at that hour and we never had a parking problem. You can eat all sorts of goodies from vendors while you watch the teams lay out their balloons. A couple of hours later the first wave of balloons ascends.

I guess if you want to sleep late and catch a shuttle to the park, maybe the dry camping is worth it, but don't let anyone tell you that's the only way to enjoy it.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #8

Thank you all!!
Matt
PS It's my wife who wants to go. I would rather go to the air races at Reno.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Lester, we have been to this event many times. Unless you get very, very, very, lucky you will not get to go this year. We always stayed at regular campgrounds. You have to make your reservations in January or February. They usually fill up every available spot in a month for that year's event. If ya'll really want to go I would wait until Jan. or Feb. of 2013 and make your reservation early in the year. Be prepared to pay, probably, double the regular campground rate. Some of the campgrounds provide a shuttle service to the balloon park. People come from all over the world to this event every year. It is a lot of fun. Some of the Balloonists will even let you volunteer to be on their chase team.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Thank you all!!
Matt
PS It's my wife who wants to go. I would rather go to the air races at Reno.
It is fun to see once. It took us two years to finally see the balloons fly. The first year it was too windy.
My feeling is that once the balloons go up and I watch it for a little bit thats enough for me. I want to spend the rest of the day looking around town or going up to Sante Fe or Taos..
I do not want to be commited by staying in one of the Balloon parks. Thats why I stayed at the KOA in Bernillio. Wherever you can get in wether in the park or their dry camp area. It's a happening, enjoy it for what it is.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote