Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Almost our worst stay -

I should have known when we arrived at lunch time and was told they closed but would direct us anyway like a huge favor. I was shown a nice end lot so I said ok even though it was not cleaned up from last long term tenet. Neighbor told us that afternoon that when it rains it floods so I toured around and found several cement pad sights and a couple with lots of gravel. I went to the office and was told if its a very hard rain only the front yard gets a little standing water- Next thing I know we are parked in the middle of a lake - Asked to move two more times and offered to pay for premium but was told they only had 5 spots we could go and they were saved for overnighters. Stayed long enough to have Christmas with my Coast Guard Son and left. I was not the only unhappy camper - Many walked by complaining and wishing us luck trying to drive out. I rate this park 0 - 10 stars -
picture of my lot and one of the lots empty the entire time we were there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3269.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	115112   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3277.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	115113  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3282.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	115114   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3284.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	115115  

2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the South during the rainy season. Don't even think of coming to Middle Georgia. We have had about 20" of rain this month. Rivers, streams and everything else is flooding here and more on the way.

Offices at lots of good campgrounds close during lunch, suck it up and make the most of sometimes bad situations.

I can't even get my motorhome out of the yard right now.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

Looks terrible. Must have rained quite a bit for sure. I am glad you got to have Christmas with your son. You didn't mention the location, but by the lay of the land, looks like an area that water doesn't have anywhere to run off. I have stayed at a couple low-lying CG's before and if given a chance look around for the highest site possible just in case of big rains. I don't think you were given this opportunity in your case, thus making the camping trip a very 'wet' stay. Sometimes luck is not in our favor.. Thank your son for his Service. Regards
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #4

We've been in sites like that, too - across the country. Nothing you can do about rain and not every site can be perfect and up on a hill. We were in a state park at New Orleans and the next morning the whole campground was under water.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #5

Sure isn't S. Padre Island like your location says.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Almost looks like your son could have been pressed into service while visiting you. Glad he was able to be with you at Christmas.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's always good to hit a bad campground because then you REALLY appreciate a good one.

It looks like a nice campground if it wasn't raining. Would you go there in dry weather?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There's a reason the grass is so green without the presence of a sprinkler system

I've had some doozies for my overnights too - some you can't wait to leave the next morning and some you just leave after the drive through
Old 12-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We offered to pay extra and it was not that they close during lunch - its was the bad attitude because we pulled in at that time - Nasty
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #10

My current long term site had a small lake outside my front door after it rained hard for 3 days straight. It drained in a day and hasn't reoccurred, so its just a part of life. I'd rather deal with that than being parked next to train tracks that run over a 100 trains a day (which describes almost every campground I visited along route 66).

I always read online reviews of campgrounds before checking them out. People frequently complain about rude people, but I think a lot of it is due to us being tired after a day of driving. I've only once actually had a campground owner be rude to me, unprovoked as I was just standing there with my dog both of us quietly minding our own business. Thankfully, it was just an overnight stop.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:48 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
My current long term site had a small lake outside my front door after it rained hard for 3 days straight. It drained in a day and hasn't reoccurred, so its just a part of life. I'd rather deal with that than being parked next to train tracks that run over a 100 trains a day (which describes almost every campground I visited along route 66).

I always read online reviews of campgrounds before checking them out. People frequently complain about rude people, but I think a lot of it is due to us being tired after a day of driving. I've only once actually had a campground owner be rude to me, unprovoked as I was just standing there with my dog both of us quietly minding our own business. Thankfully, it was just an overnight stop.

Sounds like you stay at KOA's, we are convinced that KOA's are the campgrounds that were used when they built the railroads, some are so close your coach rocks when the train passes, others are just in the whistle zone. But KOA is normally VERY convenient to interstates and if you are just passing through you put up with it for a night, just don't park on the tracks🙀.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We were in a state park at New Orleans and the next morning the whole campground was under water.
Would that be Bayou Signet State Park, by any chance?
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
Would that be Bayou Signet State Park, by any chance?
It was Fontainbleau. Kinda scary to walk through water to put out the electric plug.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote