Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Almost ready...Devils Tower, Black Hills, EAA Airventure Oshkosh

10 year traveling motorcycle buddy and I have kitchen passes from DWs for a two week plus adventure to the EAA Airventure in Oshkosh, WI.

Leaving SoCal July 17th, heading to Devils Tower...after that two nights at Custers Gulch Campground (reservations) allowing one full day for some sightseeing. Surely not enough but have been before...want to make sure nobody’s nose fell off at Rushmore. Full day of driving with toad, spearfish, Custer Park, Crazy Horse,lunch, etc. yes, aggressive...but not our reason for going.

The only other reservation is in Fond du lac, WI for EAA...about 25 miles away. FHU 50 Amp. 4 nights reservation. Toad to the event.

With side tracking...about 4,700 miles round trip.MH recently out of fresh service/filters/belt/hose/roof inspection/lube. Tires less than a year old.

My thoughts:
1. Brother/sister RVer on the side of road. Stop and offer my minimal mechanical assistance. Maybe I have cell phone coverage and they don’t.
2. Stop whenever I feel the need for rest. Although 2 drivers, we are attempting 1300 miles in two days only in the first part of the trip. After that..
Whatever. Options are open. Prefer 50 amp...summer and maybe hot. But I have no problem staying at a truck stop and running the Jenny.
3. Ain’t gonna nickel/dime about fuel costs. Easy in and out.
4. Want White Castle hamburgers near St. Louis, during southern route home. Google aerial views shows some with RV friendly parking. Been in SoCal for 32 years and can only get frozen. Only had two times visiting NJ where I have had them fresh since. Maybe 8 or 10. Have 45 gallon black tank. Things should work ok.
5. Big Texan Steak. Not into the free 72oz...ain’t gonna happen. But I enjoy good steaks and will challenge them if not as advertised. Besides, free limo from their campground. Buzz up on a few, or multiple, adult beverages...limo ride back. Responsible adults.

Now the best laid plans will throw some curve balls. Want to hear about them?

Surprisingly ,this site will only have 29-30 viewers at a time. Maybe others think posting is repetitive...been there, done that. Sad.
Just BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #2

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Sounds like a great trip.... be safe and enjoy every minute...

I will take exception to the Big Texan food quality.... marginal at best.... if going for the tourist experience then you are fine..... but most cookie cutter steak places will give you a better meal.... one exception is the chocolate cake :-))

Safe travels...
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #3

I think you are probably right...keeping the tourist mentality in mind. I do like RV parking, including their campground reviews.

Not Yellowstone or Alaska...but maybe good for a night. Would I go out of my way? Probably not, but passing right by on our route home; probably will see signs for a 100 miles...don’t know. I guess it’s just the experience.

Thanks for your insight.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #4

We did the Big Texan last year. The campground is okay, don't expect cable. Like others mentioned, go for the fun at Big Texan restaurant.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #5

On the way back from Oshkosh, planning thru St. Louis, I44 to Oklahoma City, then I40 west, and home in SoCal. About 2200 miles.

Lallygagging, if that is still a word, we will take time needed to get home. If fierce weather is on our route, we will shift north/south and attempt to thread the eye of the needle. Maybe see U next time, Big Texan

Any other suggestions on the return route? Like I mentioned, I perspire easily and would prefer not to run the Jenny all night...but I need my AC. End of July.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #6

I agree on the White Castle. Try the jalapeño cheese burger

I stayed at Steele wheels campground just south of deadwood excellent place. And central located to explore the area. Be sure to see wild bill,calamity Jane gravesites. And if your up for it Seth bullock gravesite and teddy Roosevelt friendship tower. Both good hikes.

Rv safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #7

Wet spring/summer

FYI. You May want to check the campsite. It has been very wet here in Wisconsin. Sounds like a great trip!!
Gertykeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #8

Just had installed two flat screen TVs. Looking at the 14 year old ‘boat anchors’ vs. today’s technology seems like light years of advancement.

They didn’t do custom cabinetry, as the cost as more than I was willing to spend...yet a professional, neat install.

Not a big tv watcher, but DW is. When CG has cable, I will use it. News, sports, etc.

Less than 8 days until my 4700 mile launch.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter363y View Post
I agree on the White Castle. Try the jalapeño cheese burger

I stayed at Steele wheels campground just south of deadwood excellent place. And central located to explore the area. Be sure to see wild bill,calamity Jane gravesites. And if your up for it Seth bullock gravesite and teddy Roosevelt friendship tower. Both good hikes.

Rv safe
Scooter
Thanks scooter for the jalapeño recommendation. Never knew they had them. May add a few to my order of 10. I do like spicy.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #10

Leaving a day early (16th), between 9&10 AM. Hoping to make Beaver, UT...about 500 miles in a reasonable time. If not, then Cedar City.

Vegas, about 300 miles for 1st fuel stop or maybe Primm.

1300 miles to Devils Tower, want to be there Thursday PM. Glad for the extra day.

Any suggestions for easy in/out and quick fuel stop? Flying J card, but not married to them.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #11

The TA off Blue Diamond as you enter Vegas is easy in and easy out for fuel. Big fuel lanes. Usually stop there when leaving So Cal.

Have fun.
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BK View Post
Leaving a day early (16th), between 9&10 AM. Hoping to make Beaver, UT...about 500 miles in a reasonable time. If not, then Cedar City.

Vegas, about 300 miles for 1st fuel stop or maybe Primm.

1300 miles to Devils Tower, want to be there Thursday PM. Glad for the extra day.

Any suggestions for easy in/out and quick fuel stop? Flying J card, but not married to them.

If stopping in Beaver, Ut. go right at the exit, and drive about a half mile, to the local's old Truck Stop, on the right, easy in/out, and have a very good hot deli style, chicken strips, best in the country! Everything is hot and fresh! Way better than the Flying hook!
Primm, would be cheaper than the TA in Vegas!
Al's Oasis CG, Mitchell, SD., is a nice easy stop, and has a good restaurant right across the street, also a grocery store!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Oasis+...a17268b18ee5ad
Also the TA in Albert Lea, Mn. is a very easy in and out, and has good food, lots of homemade stuff!
Use GasBuddy for the fuel prices ahead of you, to get the best prices!
Enjoy your trip! And all noses were there and accounted for when we were there last year! Rail!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BK View Post
Now the best laid plans will throw some curve balls. Want to hear about them?

Surprisingly ,this site will only have 29-30 viewers at a time. Maybe others think posting is repetitive...been there, done that. Sad.

Tell your stories! People like to read about others' trips when they have to stay home and go to work. Especially from people who enjoy travelling.

We have motorcycles, motorhomes, White Castle, and Oshkosh in common. Have a good one. I think you will, no matter what happens, based on the way you describe things.
flhayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Camper packed and is plugged in... fridge is fridging.... Wife and I are leaving tomorrow evening (7/19).... We go every year (sometimes we fly in and camp under wing) but lately we have camped in Camp Scholler alongside of old friends. Taking camper again this year, but next year will be in style in our new to us Monaco Camelot I am rebuilding.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/just...ct-444980.html

We will be 1st row north of camper registration and just west of Stitts rd. If the two small red Honda 50 clone minibikes are parked out front... we are home. Stop by and visit if anyone is in the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190718_063918018_HDR.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	253702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190718_063959195_HDR.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	253703  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190718_064022575.jpg