Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Am I weird?

Good morning. Been stalking the site a bit, but finally signed up.

Purely in the 'research' phase.

What I'm curious of, and have not had much success in looking for....

Are there any RV parks with MUCH larger lots?

or Spots that are very secluded. Is there some sort of directory of single spots.

When traveling.. the idea of a large park with amenities and activities is not what I'm looking for at all.

I envision a power, and garden hose hookup attached to the barn in the back corner of some farmers field.

The more remote, the better.

I'm trying to think up ways this might happen. Like 'house sitting' for someone without using their house. Rural properties only.

Like I said.. still just planning. Not sure of the term of what I'm even looking for. My job allows me to work from about anywhere in the country. I'd like to try a couple months at a time on the road. Looking at older Prevost busses.

I'm sure there's a ton I don't even know to ask.. just trying to find out what you'd call camping not in a crowd.. but not boondocking.

JP
Jp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 10:22 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The best luck we've had in your thought process was to find very off the beaten path corp of engineer grounds or off the path state parks. You could get some relative privacy, sometimes absolute privacy, there. There's quite a few off the path places that people simply don't flock to - finding them is like finding gems, and they aren't always spoken about a lot.

certainly the best privacy is found when on BLM land, but without services.

Most privately owned RV parks I've ever seen try to cram as many units as possible in the place. Not all, but most.

It could totally be possible on a town by town basis, to find a place to hook up on someone's property. I don't know how many 50 amp plugs you'll find just hanging around small towns, but you never know. Asking at the small town store might be a good starting place.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp11 View Post
What I'm curious of, and have not had much success in looking for....
Are there any RV parks with MUCH larger lots?
Spots that are very secluded.
When traveling.. the idea of a large park with amenities and activities is not what I'm looking for at all.
I envision power, and garden hose hookup attached to the barn in the back corner of some farmers field.

Not sure of the term of what I'm even looking for..
I'm sure there's a ton I don't even know to ask..
JP
Jp11
If you can do without the barn...methinks you will like U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, (COE), campgrounds:
COE Campgrounds | RV Camping
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I'm with you JP. We like State Parks, BLM's, NF, and a few NP's. They have more real estate than the private campgrounds and are not as money driven to utilize every square foot. Haven't tried COE's yet but I know we will in the future.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:24 AM   #5

Thanks

looked at federal lands around me. some camping, but not many hookups.

there's got to be a way to figure out where to find a guy that's got a hookup on his land that's unused.

JP
Jp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #6

JP11
First of all,

Yours is a very interesting question. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you but I will be watching this thread for all possible solutions.

EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

there's got to be a way to figure out where to find a guy that's got a hookup on his land that's unused.

JP
Again, I think asking at the local level is probably the best way.

There's not much that I've found in the way of online resources or books for this.

However, you might want to reach out to the owners of campendium.com , I would think they would have the very best bead on this sort of information - the owners are really nice, full time, and really love their privacy and off the beaten path travels.

Not only do they operate www.campendium.com , but they also operate the following blog, which might be a quicker way to reach them...

Aluminarium
Old 08-01-2016, 05:26 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
You might consider moving off grid. You can follow the temperature gauge and seldom need air conditioning or furnace. Then load up on solar and lithium batteries and not need to look for shore power, at least most of the time. Then winter in south Arizona on BLM lands and summer near Pacific Ocean in northern California or Oregon or Washington. On up in elevation in national forests. Think outside the (electrical) box.

Check out technomadia.com

Happy trails.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:

JP
There's the Boondockers Welcome organization, that pretty much describes the type of land you are looking for. Have you run across that yet?
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Like I said.. still just planning. Not sure of the term of what I'm even looking for. My job allows me to work from about anywhere in the country. I'd like to try a couple months at a time on the road. Looking at older Prevost busses.
If your job requires Internet you may not be able to go to far from cell towers. Unless you plan on using satellite Internet.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #11

Good question. I've seen trailer park spots so tight you could not open your awning, and wooded spots so large you couldn't see your neighbors. My only advice would be to check reviews of cgs in the areas you want to go. Often, you can email review writers on the site and ask for personal observations.
They are out there. Big secluded spots. Hope you find some.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
There's the Boondockers Welcome organization, that pretty much describes the type of land you are looking for. Have you run across that yet?
Sweet!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
You might consider moving off grid. You can follow the temperature gauge and seldom need air conditioning or furnace. Then load up on solar and lithium batteries and not need to look for shore power, at least most of the time. Then winter in south Arizona on BLM lands and summer near Pacific Ocean in northern California or Oregon or Washington. On up in elevation in national forests. Think outside the (electrical) box.

Check out technomadia.com

Happy trails.

ronspradley
This!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We've been RVing for roughly 18 months. We travel in a large diesel pusher. With the exception of a single 2 month trip to Florida - most of our travels have been 3-10 day jaunts in and around Michigan. While Michigan has a pretty good inventory of public land - we haven't found many places where we'd consider boondocking at. Isolated areas are simply a challenge to get into (I've got little interest in trying to take a 43,000 lb coach very far off the beaten path). Urban/suburban "camping" holds no interest for us ... Walmart parking lots (and the like) are great for an occasional overnight while we're on the way to somewhere else - but are never a destination it their own right for us.

Like lots of folks, we're happiest when we've got full hookups - but have learned that since we rarely staying put for much longer than 5-7 days - we're not really inconvenienced in a big way to go without a water and sewer hookup as long as we've got shore power - and access to a dump station on the way out.

We look to stay in "public" facilities first (i.e., State, County, COE Campgrounds, etc.) because they typically provide shore power - and tend to be provide the largest sites and in pretty good locations. When they're not available - private campgrounds are our next choice. We've made our peace that when we "go private" ... we're likely going to pay more, and be packed in tight - but will likely have full hookups. It simply is what it is.