Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #1

Anacortes Ferry reservations?

We're planning to be in Anacortes the first week of July. After doing some preliminary research, I've read that reservations are recommended for the ferry over to the islands. We'd like to spend a day exploring each island and I'm wondering what our chances are of getting on a ferry with our jeep without them are that time of year. Does anyone have any experience visiting the San Juan's in the summer and have any insight into how to best approach the trip? We usually don't plan down to the day, but maybe we have to here?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
When we visited Olympic NP, we stayed in a nearby campground as a base. Each day we'd pay attention to the weather reports and plan accordingly. On a rainy day, we went to places in Port Angeles, saving the trip up Hurricane Ridge Rd. when the mountains weren't fogged in and covered with clouds.
I suggest you do the same, base camp and take daily trips from that location. I can't talk about the ferry, I don't know how busy it is and if reservations are the only way to get aboard. Just try to be flexible, especially in the NW.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

Previously the only reservations were for the Canadian run. That changed this year so th e really is not much history to go on. I would plan on reservations. You could make them for each island you want to visit then add more if you want to go back. I would make Orcas (possibly 2 days) and San Juan (Friday Harbor) the top two. You might be able to do San Juan and Lopez the same day.

When you do inter island, you might have to back off the ferry.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We never made reservations. We just parked our car in line and went shopping on San Juan Island. Anacortes was never a problem for us. We lived in Marysville and went to visit friends in Friday Harbor. I would not worry about it. There are no reservations that I know of from Anacortes or any other W.S.F.S. that runs there.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
We never made reservations. We just parked our car in line and went shopping on San Juan Island. Anacortes was never a problem for us. We lived in Marysville and went to visit friends in Friday Harbor. I would not worry about it. There are no reservations that I know of from Anacortes or any other W.S.F.S. that runs there.
The reservations just recently started. As I recall, only about 10% of the spots are open. The island residents are NOT happy. Here is the WSDOT link:
https://secureapps.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferr...e/default.aspx
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Well Raise My Rent! Things are a changing! I like the good o'l day's.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #7

OHH MY! There is a new res system for the San Juan ferries and I believe you will have a slim chance getting a vehicle on a boat the first week of July without a res.. Especially out of Anacortes. The new system crashed te first day it was up last week due to mass requests. Gooood luck!
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote