Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #15

From what I can see, there were 6 or maybe even 8 (reports are unclear) family members living for a couple days in a Chevy Suburban at that Cottonwood AZ Walmart.

Reportedly, they were a supermarket band, who play music at supermarkets. I have never heard of such a thing, but so be it.

In my opinion, they were a family living in a car, which seems closer to homeless than Recreational Vehicle occupants.

In my state, I believe an RV is described as a vehicle, self powered or not, that is built or modified to be an abode. While plumbing is not specified, it appears intimated at least.

I do not believe that a chevy suburban qualifies as an RV. The news reports call it an SUV.

Regardless of any other facts related to this event, I really suspect that the comings and goings of people in RVs has nothing at all to do with what these people in this car were doing or thinking about.

Sometimes people have an agenda that is not a positive one. Sometimes people are anti social, or mean, or desperate. They break laws, act uncivilly, and even violently.

None of this has to do with what the average RVer who spends the night in the back of a big parking lot, and then drives off in the morning, is involved with.

Having an RV does not make one a criminal. Not having one will not make you a criminal either. Being a criminal, and doing the things they do will make you one...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Can't view that site without subscribing😝😝😡
Quote:
Eight officers and a Walmart employee were assaulted in a Cottonwood parking lot Saturday night in a fight that left one suspect dead, another wounded and seven in custody, officials said.

The fight happened Saturday night after the Cottonwood Police Department received a call at 11:52 p.m. from a Cottonwood Walmart reporting that a suspect shoved a female employee in a store bathroom, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

When officers arrived, the suspects were in the parking lot and attacked the officers, DPS said. One suspect was shot and killed during the fight, another was shot in the abdomen, and a total of seven others were taken into custody, DPS said.

The suspects are from the same family, according to DPS spokesman Bart Graves. The seven in custody, five adult males, a woman and a female juvenile, refused to provide their names, Graves said.

The suspects will be booked as John and Jane Does on suspicion of aggravated assault, attempted homicide, obstruction of justice and a separate assault charge related to the Walmart employee, who suffered a broken arm, Graves said.

A vehicle believed to belong to the suspects had an Idaho license plate, Graves said.

A Walmart employee and eight officers were involved in the fight. One officer was shot in the leg and the other seven were left with cuts and bruises.

"We do believe that there was a struggle for an officer's weapon, there is an ongoing investigation on that," Graves said.

The officer that was shot in the leg is 31 years old and has been with Cottonwood police for 10 years, the release said. He was flown to Flagstaff Medical Center for surgery and is expected to make a full recovery.

DPS and local police cleared the scene just after noon Sunday. Dozens of cars circled around the area where the shooting occurred near the back end of the parking lot.

The suspects had been staying in a Suburban vehicle for at least four days in the parking lot, according to a man camping out in an RV in the parking lot. The man would not give his name.

The man said he looked out of his RV's window after the brawl and shootout woke him up Saturday night. He heard screaming and saw people running around and firing guns.
Cottonwood Walmart brawl leaves 1 dead, officer shot
Old 02-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
Maybe hotel owners should get a law passed outlawing campgrounds.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are no overnight parking ordinances in five towns surrounding the area where we live in MA and none of those towns have RV parks. So, I'm not sure it is always the park owners behind these policies. Just an observation.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:48 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As far as Anchorage goes we only go there every once in a while to get supplies that are not available in the Valley. But this one is driven by an RV park stating that they are loosing money! Nothing about it being a crime issue. Maybe Golden Nugget should revisit their corporate model to find the problem with loosing money and not blame it on people staying in a parking lot overnight. We have stayed in numerous parking lots across the lower 48 without ANY crime or garbage issues.
[moderator edit ] Luckily there are 100's of pullouts around Alaska where you can stay overnight for free and leave the BIG city alone.
Anchorage is just like any other big city with way to many people in it.
So with that comes problems real and imagined.
It just TICKS me off when someone wants to go to the extreme and get laws passed just so that they can make more money. [moderator edit ]
And this is the case on this one. Some others may have used lawlessness as their reason.

JM2CW
Old 02-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper510 View Post
I am not sure if this is the right place for this but.
Some Anchorage area campgrounds are trying to get an ordinance passed that will outlaw parking in parking lots like Cabelas and Wal-Mart.
With a $100 fine.
Lottie Michaels of Golden Nugget RV Park is behind it stating that she looses money!!

Just to let you know.
Maybe anybody staying that area should email Golden Nugget RV park and let them know why they will not be staying there.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
There are no overnight parking ordinances in five towns surrounding the area where we live in MA and none of those towns have RV parks. So, I'm not sure it is always the park owners behind these policies. Just an observation.
1. There are many reasons why a town may decide to allow overnight parking, not just the one publicly stated and acknowledged as a local campground leading this effort.

2. I also live in MA, and there is no way to assign reason to the actions of many local laws here. This is a horribly screwed up place, managed by the least capable among us.

3. I just checked, the two nearest Walmarts near me, next town east, and next town north, both have no problem with overnight parking. My town has none.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Please point to where I BASHED Walmart

Correct .....Criminals are responsible for criminal acts and low life irresponsible RVrs cause issues for ALL RVrs

As an RVr ------I prefer not having to weave/dodge either when I go shopping.
When 'stealth' camping is not permitted chances increase that I won't have to deal with it
Stealth camping ?

*Definition: the act or action of proceeding furtively, secretly, or imperceptibly*

Wal-Mart welcomes truck and RV overnight stays, where allowed by local law.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Talk with the city council in Van Horn Texas, then talk with the chamber of Commerce.

Lots of RV just drive pass/
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Stealth camping ?

*Definition: the act or action of proceeding furtively, secretly, or imperceptibly*

Wal-Mart welcomes truck and RV overnight stays, where allowed by local law.
Correct on that definition and was what was intended.

Overnighting is one thing (although it can be done elsewhere) but when parking numerous nights over and over then it becomes 'stealth' camping.
That leads to issues/problems and restrictions.
Sometimes a 'hammer' approach is called for and justified.

The Walmart in Cottonwood is now a pleasant, clean place to go shopping.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:50 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Please sign this petition to help protect our lifestyle

https://www.change.org/p/daniel-sull...fb_ref=Default
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Correct on that definition and was what was intended.

Overnighting is one thing (although it can be done elsewhere) but when parking numerous nights over and over then it becomes 'stealth' camping.
That leads to issues/problems and restrictions.
Sometimes a 'hammer' approach is called for and justified.

The Walmart in Cottonwood is now a pleasant, clean place to go shopping.
I hardly think that any of those people involved in this shooting you are referring to as well as those who spend multiple nights living out of a Suburban, or some RV that shouldn't even be on the road, are the type of RV'r that we are talking about or share their information and opinions on IRV2. Unfortunately these people are ruining it for all those who are traveling in an RV and just need a place for the night or few hours. Most of them are homeless and taking advantage of whoever they can under the guise of RV'ing. To lump them in with all the true RV'rs, and use the "hammer approach" is not justified. All they have to do is have the law on the books so it can be applied when the situation warrants. Anytime we have stayed in a Walmart, I have always felt fairly safe when the lot had several real RV'rs.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:39 PM   #27

just put a 12 hour limit on it.....problem solved and everyone is happy. Wal Mart isn't meant to be a destination but a layover spot...if you can't be back on the road in 12 hours you should be in a campground. Just my opinion. Doesn't even need enforced regularly. You put a sign up that it's patrolled and if you're found to be there more than 12 hours it's a $1000 fine.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
just put a 12 hour limit on it.....problem solved and everyone is happy. Wal Mart isn't meant to be a destination but a layover spot...if you can't be back on the road in 12 hours you should be in a campground. Just my opinion. Doesn't even need enforced regularly. You put a sign up that it's patrolled and if you're found to be there more than 12 hours it's a $1000 fine.

!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote