Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #1

Another Outer Banks Question

We are leaving Tennessee in a couple of weeks beginning our trip South to Bradenton, FL.
We have never been to the Outer Banks of NC and would like to visit them for a few days as we slowly head South down the East coast. I know that they run several hundred miles long along the coast, but we would welcome a suggested 'plan' for our visit. It might be interesting to start at the top and work our way down.
I'm not sure about the condition after the hurricane and recommended places to stay and areas to visit.
Thanks for any ideas.
We are pulling a TT.

Wm
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would definatly call ahead before going. Route 12 washed out in several places connecting the islands and I am not sure if all of it is reopened yet. Hopefully it is. I am not trying to discourage you from visiting, because it is a beautiful area and they could sure benifit from all the visitors they can get.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #3

We were at Emerald Isle NC several weeks ago. We had beautiful weather and stayed at a resort campground right o the beach. quiet and clean. The whole area seemed to be in hibernation after the summer season. We really enjoyed the quiet....
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #4

We have stayed on Hatteras Island at Hatteras Campground in Waves/Rodanthe. It is on the beach separated by a dune. It is clean, quiet & the people are very nice. But it is on rt 12. Also the dunes are high enough that it could have provided some protection.
In Myrtle Beach we love Pirateland. It is clean & friendly. Lots of amenities and the prices are good. Right on the beach with small inland saltwater lakes that you can crab & fish in. It is between Myrtle Beach State Park & Surfside. The beach is very clean. They even have cable tv on site. Their price was all inclusive with no hidden fees. We haven't been in about 4-5 years & I hope they haven't changed cause I'm going asap.
24therode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

Thanks for the ideas.
I'll get on the phone and see what I can find out.
Wm
Old 10-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Route 12 is now open, all the breaches have been repaired.
Be aware though that they got hit hard from Irene and it is best to call campgrounds ahead of time to be sure they're operating.
Be sure to take the free ferry to Ocracoke from Hatteras, a day trip not to be missed. There are also a couple campgrounds on the island, but the NPS campground closes last Monday of October.
Bring Bug Spray! Lots of mosquitoes.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #7

Correct. We returned from the outer banks two weeks ago, and the mosquitoes were plentiful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
...Bring Bug Spray! Lots of mosquitoes.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #8

At this point... I am thinking of heading over next week. Probably head out Monday and stop for a couple of nights before we get there. We'll take I-40 to Hwy 64 across Alligator River onto the Banks.
I'd like to spend a couple of nights North so we can see Kitty Hawk and another couple of nights South before crossing the ferry over to Cedar Island.
Your thoughts are welcome as I need to know suggested campgrounds and logistics for staging for the Ferry.
Thanks
Wm
Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've stayed in two places on the Banks. The first is Sands of Time in Avon. Its not on the ocean but is quiet and peaceful. If you have kids though there is not much for them to do though, so if that's important look elsewhere.
The second is Ocean Waves campground in Waves, it is by the beach, they have a pool, very reasonable, also hard to get a spot this time of year, call first! Lots of snowbirds on their way south.
Ocracoke is always fun, but as I mentioned the NPS campground closes end of October. There is Teeters and Beachcomber, both not fancy. Never stayed at either.
Check campgroundreviews.com for reviews on the above campgrounds, also on this site there may be reviews as well.
We just got back from Ocracoke. I can't emphasize enough, bring bug spray!!!!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #10

As I get closer to figureing out what we are doing, I've been thinking of spending 3-4 nights somewhere about mid way of the Banks. Exploreing North and then South.
Then go down to Ocracoke, explore, spend the night there and catch the morning ferry to Cedar Island.
I guess most any of the campgrounds between Rodanthe and Frisco would be OK?
I did call the KOA, Cape Hatteras, and even though they have damage, they are offering a $25 FHU rate at this time.
Hopefully head out next week.
Wm
Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Am following this thread closely. Hope to arrive in the area for a few days on Sun./Mon, Nov. 6/7. Any one else and if so where?
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #12

We have stayed at Hunting Island State Park in S.C. It's a beautiful place, right on the beach, but very popular. Be sure to get reservations early!
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote