Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2005, 08:15 AM   #1

We are planning on spending 3-4 nights at Anvil Campground in Williamsburg, while we (Me, Wife and 11 and 7 year old) visit Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, etc. Any comments on this campground or suggestions to help the kids enjoy the visit to the local attractions? Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2005, 08:15 AM   #2

We are planning on spending 3-4 nights at Anvil Campground in Williamsburg, while we (Me, Wife and 11 and 7 year old) visit Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, etc. Any comments on this campground or suggestions to help the kids enjoy the visit to the local attractions? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #3

There's a train track alng the outside perimeter. Big freights come through during the night. Feels like the train is coming through your bedroom! What an experience!
Enjoy!!
Old 06-03-2005, 04:47 AM   #4

Is the noise from the train bad enough that you would recommend another campground in the area?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:34 AM   #5

You might try American Heritage RV park at the Norge exit, westbound on I-64 it is one exit (approx 3 miles) from the Lightfoot exit for Anvil campground. Same trains run by, but is slightly farther away from campground. I camped at American Heritage 2 weeks ago and only heard the trains a couple of times. I really had to listen while in the trailer to hear them, but outside you will hear them even in downtown Williamsburg.
luckeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:10 AM   #6

Re: the train noise at Anvil...
We only spent two nights there. The first nite was scary because around 11:30 pm while we were in deep sleep, the train came by. Honestly the coach & bed shook, as we were only 20 feet from the elevated embankment where the train was. Needless to say, when you're asleep and the rumble keeps getting louder to the point where you think the train is coming through your coach, it is really unnerving. Two more trains, late in the nite, came through...
The second night wasn't so bad, at least now we knew what to expect. But it still woke us up each time. If I were spending 3 or 4 nites in the same campground, I think I would look for a different campground. (But we arrived at Anvil around dusk the first night, an no one said anything about the trains at the office... Hah!)
Old 06-03-2005, 04:22 PM   #7

You might check with Outdoor World Resorts in Williamsburg. Although it is a private membership park, they used to take drive ins. In summer of 02, rates were around $25.00 a night with full W/E/S hookups. No trains and no freeway, (I-64), noise, too many trees. Exit 231 off of I-64.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:45 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies!