Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
IC2

Any "decent" CG near Roanoke? Salem, VA

We are looking to move to the area just East of Roanoke-Salem, VA , and fairly near Smith Mountain Lake sometime later this year. We would really like to haul our 5er to the area and possibly safely leave it there instead of hauling it 700 miles each way. We have stayed at Dixie Caverns CG - and while OK for an overnight stay, the feeling is that we were set up in the middle of I-81 checking out the operation of every Jake Brake.

I've done the normal web search and sat with Woodall's for hours but no joy!! There is a KOA, but it's 60 or so miles from Moneta which is our base for the home search.

Any ideas??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #2

There's a state park at Smith Mountain Lake.

Also, check out www.epgsoft.com. Zoom in until the little bubbles appear and then see what's available near your desired location. There isn't much available in Roanoke/Salem as far as RV parks go.

I live in Clifton Forge about 40 miles up US 220 from Roanoke and my house is for sale. Go to www.fairfieldfarmsrealty.com and then click on 800 palace blvd. It'll give you a good video tour.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
There's a state park at Smith Mountain Lake.

Also, check out www.epgsoft.com. Zoom in until the little bubbles appear and then see what's available near your desired location. There isn't much available in Roanoke/Salem as far as RV parks go.

I live in Clifton Forge about 40 miles up US 220 from Roanoke and my house is for sale. Go to www.fairfieldfarmsrealty.com and then click on 800 palace blvd. It'll give you a good video tour.
Thanks for the information. Not a lot to choose from in that area of VA as far as CG's. SML Forest CG appears to be it and probably not for a negotiated long term stay. Oh well, it was worth the post

I did look at your home listing - very nice - but two problems, it's too big and two floors We are looking for a home that's a fair bit smaller then the 4000+sq ft that we have at present and now that my DW has a debilitating bad back(3 degen. discs) we need a single floor. We will be looking at a home next week in Fincastle though (we do like that area) as we haven't ruled Botetourt County out yet, but are leaning towards Franklin or Bedford Counties near Moneta.

Again, Thanks.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Some things to check out before you buy in VA is the local tax rate. They vary TREMENDOUSLY between cities, counties, and towns.

In VA if you live in a city you pay city taxes, in a county area, county taxes, but if you live in a town you pay town AND county taxes.

The above applies to real estate taxes and personal property (vehicle) taxes. Personal property taxes can be substantial. Check with the Commissioner of the Revenue in counties and cities and director of finance offices in towns.

Where are you moving from?

Botetourt County is very nice and Fincastle is a very old town, country living but close to Roanoke for all the conveniences.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Some things to check out before you buy in VA is the local tax rate. They vary TREMENDOUSLY between cities, counties, and towns.

In VA if you live in a city you pay city taxes, in a county area, county taxes, but if you live in a town you pay town AND county taxes.

The above applies to real estate taxes and personal property (vehicle) taxes. Personal property taxes can be substantial. Check with the Commissioner of the Revenue in counties and cities and director of finance offices in towns.

Where are you moving from?

Botetourt County is very nice and Fincastle is a very old town, country living but close to Roanoke for all the conveniences.
Thanks for the warning. We have and continue to do our research on that very item. We are moving from Upstate NY - so out of sight taxes are not new and if our calculations are right, even at the worst possible in VA, we will be well ahead of what we have now - as long as we stay out of the incorporated towns and cities like Salem or Roanoke, etc. The property taxes we are seeing for homes in Franklin and Bedford counties are about 20 to 25 percent of the combined school and property taxes we are paying now. We don't have a personal property tax in NY State, but licensing fees, sales taxes and other taxes and costs more then make up for the difference. A few forinstances - a fishing license was $16 last year, this year it's $29. To register my Glendale Titanium last year was $137, this year it's $187. Bottles of water - a .05 deposit. A soda(sugar) tax was added, if you are a smoker, a pack of Marlboro's is ~$9.00 ( never been one of my habits). Then there are the politics of living in NY - and they are not pretty with a lame governor and no real challenger from the other party, Shumer and Gillibrand as our US Senators!!

Sorry - I got distracted

Thanks again
Dave W
Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 AM   #6

Some of your fees for vehicles are in the ball park if you add a zero. REALLY check the personal property tax rates as they are outrageous in some areas and vary dramatically as you cross a town/county/city limit line. DMV fees are very reasonable; it's the PP tax that will break you. Real estate taxes are generally reasonable but they really make up for it on the PP tax.

I know in some areas the PPT on your truck, when new, would have been at least $1,000 a year declining slightly as the vehicle ages. Since it's not a passenger car no 70% break on the pp tax. Same with the RV.

Just do your homework and expect a COMPLETELY different life style and mind set than you experience in NY.

We moved here from CA 8 years ago and are still the people that live in F. L. Mays' house. My very best advise to you is RENT before you make a monumental mistake like we did.

Remember, towns in VA are a level of government and if they have a town council they can and do levy taxes in addition to the county doing the same. So if the town PP tax is $4.00 per $100 and the county is $3.50 per $100 that's $7.50 per $100 where either a city or just the county you only pay their tax, not a combo. So if you live on the town border your taxes will be $7.50 per $100 while your neighbor across the street is outside the town limit he only pays $3.50.

Well, at least Hillary found a new job!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
IC2

I think we are going into this with our eyes open. We spent quite a bit of time in a couple of tax offices - Botetourt and Franklin Counties and did make the observations that the PPT's can get expensive and that it depends on where you are. This is why I mentioned within city/town limit vs 'out in the country'. Most of the homes we have looked at in the $250-$350K have current taxes in the $750 to $1800 range which like I said above, are still only 20-25% of our taxes currently in NY. Even adding PPT, we are still way ahead of that curve. The one thing you mentioned is the fact that we will be the newbies in town, which is one of the reasons we are choosing a bit more urban setting, tho not city then where you are located. It does concern me somewhat, but that's something that we will have to watch out for when(if?) we get there.

Hilliary's current job is just an interim position - 2012 is coming
Old 08-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #8

Glad you're doing your due diligence. The thought of 2012 gives me chills!