Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Any Good Campsites near Springfield, NJ?

My wife has a work assignment in Springfield, NJ. We have a 40' motor home and currently live in the Midwest. We would like to camp in the area with my twin 11 year old girls. Does anyone know a decent campsite within 30 miles o Springfield that we could spend about three weeks? Any input would greatly be appreciated.
srh

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
number of good campgrounds-0 probably none at all, its not an area thats campground literate, try western rt 22 going toward Pennsylvania plan to commute

Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
srh

Monaco Owners Club
How long of a commute might you think that would be?
Thanks,
srh
Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Probably at least an hour depending on traffic maybe more its been a while since I have been there. Its best to check a map and GPS , I used to live in the area its very congested near Springfield during Mon-Fri during rush hour
Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Bug512 on the forum goes here:
Morris County Park Commission Mahlon Dickerson Reservation

When are you coming out? PM me as I might have a place you can stay if you're in a pinch. A farm off Exit 11 of I-78.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The nice campgrounds are in extreme north or south NJ. From the northern Jersey one's your talking an hour without rush hour traffic. The ones in S. Jersey are going to be at least an hour or more without rush hour traffic. My family is in that area of NJ. When we visit we stay in Pine Hill RV Park in Kutztown, PA. It would be about an hour drive to Springfield - straight shot out I-78 from the CG to Springfield.

People might tell you about a CG in Pattenburg, NJ called Jugtown Mountain. I used to live near it. I went in there to dump my black tank once. it was so dirty I would never go back there again.

Sorry there in not better news, but unfortunately NJ is not very camper friendly for folks in your situation in that area.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

Having grown up and lived in that area for 30 plus years I know it well. I now live in Pa. just 3 miles from Pine Hill and have stayed there several times, BTW we will be there from the 2oth on. It is the best in the area and the rate is 45 a night for full hookup. There is plenty to do in the area on the weekends as well. You could also stay in Jersey City at Liberty Harbor, but the rate there is 75 a night, and even tho it has securty it is not in a good area. It will take about the same amount of time to make the trip to Springfield due to much heavier traffic. Pine Hill is right off ex 45 on 78, Springfield is also located on 78 with an exit as well. Hope this helps and if you decide on Pine hill drop me PM and maybe we can meet up. When will you be in the area? Gary
Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #8

PS DO NOT stay at Jug Town at any reason.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBelieve View Post
BTW we will be there from the 2oth on. Gary
Gary

We will be arriving @ Pine Hill July 28th or 29th. We'll be there for 3 months in site G-6. Stop by and say hello.

John (K-Star)

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #10

Good for you, the right choice. Easy pull thru site. We will look you up for sure. If you need anything further, just pm me, Gary
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, and John,

Thank you very much for the great suggestions. It appears that Pine Hill may be our best choice. I will definitely keep in mind to hook up with you while we are there. We will probably be there first part of August.

Regards,

Sayed
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, and John,

BTW do you know anything about the Pine Cone Campsite? This is only 33 miles from where my wife is going to be going to work. She is the one who is going to be doing the driving and she thinks Pine Hill (87 mi) is a bit too long.
Thanks again.
Sayed
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
With Pine Cone in Freehold, she will be fighting Highway 9 (from Bruce Springstein fame) and the Parkway North in the morning. 9 has lights and the Parkway has tolls.

Pine Hill in Kutztown would be a haul for her every day and she would have to pay the bridge toll.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #14

John, I made a call to friends that live near there, and checked reviews on Pine Cone as well. Friends say it is old, tight, not the best. Also pretty high priced for what it has to offer. In addition your wife will not have as easy a trip from that area up to springfield. She will have to use US 9 ( many lights, and heavy congestion in rush hours) then to Garden state parkway ( tolls, and very heavy traffic in summer time going north in am, and south in pm) then she will have to use 78 west to springfield. I think that trip might take as long as Pine Hill to Springfield. Just my opinion. Gary