Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #15

Mall of America

Thanks for the offer spritz, but that's just a little out of my way on the summer trips (running I-80 or I-90) and the Summer trips will be taking me South.

The Summer trips are pretty much planned. It's this Southern, Winter route thing i'm working on now. Though i'd love to stay a while in some of Texas's larger cities, it seems like those city communities feel a little too comfortable with their current state of crime, good-enough public transportation and visual appearances.

The plan seems to be leaning towards staying away from the larger cities and hitting the smaller towns and parks and that sounds like it could be just a much fun.

Thanks again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275hooah View Post
Thanks for the offer spritz, but that's just a little out of my way on the summer trips (running I-80 or I-90) and the Summer trips will be taking me South.

The Summer trips are pretty much planned. It's this Southern, Winter route thing i'm working on now. Though i'd love to stay a while in some of Texas's larger cities, it seems like those city communities feel a little too comfortable with their current state of crime, good-enough public transportation and visual appearances.

The plan seems to be leaning towards staying away from the larger cities and hitting the smaller towns and parks and that sounds like it could be just a much fun.

Thanks again.
We are planning on going thru Austin or there abouts on the way back. Sounds like fun. Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275hooah View Post
That's really unfortunate, that a city like Dallas isn't safer. It's really a let-down in more than a few ways. Maybe i'll just pass it by for a better city.

Crime is so easy to understand, because all of it's elements are ages old and so well documented, that it's more than disappointing to see a community turn a blind eye to it. Kind of gutless isn't it! Didn't think that state of mind existed in Texas. Too bad!

Thanks for the input.
Since Dallas is so unsafe and they've turned a "blind eye" maybe you could find a nice crime free park in the Dearborn or Detroit area. They seem to have the Crime Situation under control!!
Good Luck finding a "Crime Free" Big City!!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #18

Unnecessary sarcasm

Didn't say jack about expecting a city to be "crime free" hero. Cities like Scottsdale, Virginia Beach, El Paso and Seattle seem to have a handle on crime. Lived in Honolulu for a few years and they seem to have a handle on it too. Too bad Dallas doesn't.

For your record, I live in the low crime, Grosse Pointe area, for a reason. I haven't been to Dearborn in over twenty years and only go into Detroit when absolutely necessary, for a reason. Because of the crime. Just like i'll probably avoid Dallas.

Stuff that sarcasm and get real !
Old 11-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #19

Dallas is no more crime ridden than just about any other large city. And the crime there is pretty much localized as in most other cities. If you stay away from the bad areas, you won't see any crime.
I've lived next door to Dallas (Fort Worth) all my life and only go there when it's absolutely necessary.
Come stay in Fort Worth. It's an eclectic city where everybody's friendly. (Well almost everybody) and it's only 30 miles from Dallas. A cliche' here in Fort Worth is "Life's too short to live in Dallas".
However, if you're looking for a great town to stay in in Texas, I'd recommend San Antonio. You have the river walk, Alamo and lots of history. Lots of good food too. Be sure and brush up on your Spanish. There are also many RV parks close in.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #20

We just stayed in Dallas and San Antonio. We did not feel unsafe in either place. We were only out walking during the day in Dallas. We went all over San Antonio at night no problem. We stayed at the KOA and used the bus system only 15 minutes from downtown.
Jborer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #21

San Antonio looks good

Thanks HicksRA and jboreo,

San Antonio does look good and there are a few good looking RV parks that seem to be well rated and pretty close. There is also a Stock Show and Rodeo in February that looks good and from what i see, the music scene is busy. The River Walk, The Alamo, a few good malls, warmer weather in January, it looks like the better stop.

I was planning on a little more Northern route, but if i just shoot straight South right off the bat, through Nashville, Baton Rouge and Houston, i'll be fine. Back up to Santa Fe, over to Vegas and then turn around. It's a new plan!

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Do you require sewer connection?

If not, Hickory Creek COE is probably your best bet. Near DART rail.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #23

Look up sandy lake rv park. I-35 just north of belt line. Near Carrollton Texas and dart.
JC and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #24

DART stations

Thanks drfife,

If I find myself cutting through the North Dallas area, this may be the campground to hit. Maybe on the return trip. Looks good, and on the lake. The DART line option was interesting, but after playing with the DART maps for an hour, it looks like Hickory Creek is in-between stations by a good bit. A car rental wouldn't be out of the question though. Nice area!

JC and Angie, Sandy Lake RV Park isn't as nice as Hickory Creek, but if i'm just there for an overnight or a few days, the Downtown Carrollton Station, for a ride South, is only 2.4 miles down the road. Kind of a trade off.

I've marked both on my Google map for future reference.

Thanks

Tags
motorhome, texas