Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

Any good motorhome parks in Dallas, Texas

Hello,

I have decided that Dallas is a great place to visit, next winter, but Google map isn't showing me any good, nearby, motorhome campgrounds. The plan is to find a place close enough to the downtown arts, and north Highland Park, areas that i can bus or taxi in for a coffee or meal a few times a week.

If anyone has any experience with this area, please feel free to make any helpful suggestions.

Thanks
275hooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #2

Parks near Dallas, Tx.

Try the Vineyards, in Grapevine, Tx. Great park, owned by the city, all paved full service, located on Lake Grapevine. Good shopping, restaurant , and entertainment. Interstate access to all sightseeing.
Freeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hardly a short trip to down town Dallas. Also they were closed earlier so you should call before planning to stay at Grapevine.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #4

Vineyards option

Thanks for the suggestion. The Vineyards is further than i want, but if nothing closer pops up, it's an option. I will not be towing anything, for local commutes, so the closer i can get, the better.

Thanks again
Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #5

Good luck with any kind of mass transit in Dallas.
And taxi rides aren't cheap.
Sorry, I can't answer your specific question, but I don't think you'll find an RV park anywhere close to downtown Dallas. If there is one, I'm not aware of it.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

The Vineyards is owned by city and has shuttles to the airport, then DART, downtown every 30minutes. Also Enterprise has hourly rentals available and they will pick you up.. I stay there 3-4 times each year, great place
Freeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

Public trans & taxi are out

Thanks,

I looked into Dallas area taxi fares and, if i were staying out at Vineyards RV campground for example, it would be a $40+ one-way fare. That's not going to work!

The public transportation, that i took for granted, is said to be ok within the Dallas central area, but less dependable outside that area. That's a no-go then because there are no campground inside Dallas.

It does appear then, that there are no good Dallas campground options for my toadless self. Having a car would certainly make this easier, but i really don't want to be dealing with a toad while traveling cross country in the solo mode.

May need to select another vacation town.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

DART process

Thanks, but shuttle, then DART, then back again every day would wear on me i think. I am looking into the car rental option though. Hourly sounds like it might work.

I have also considered an in-between option for a toad. Maybe a healthy sized scooter or motorcycle would fit the bill, mounted on a carrier instead of being towed. It would be a fair-weather mode of transportation, but better than nothing.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Treetops RV Resort is located in Arlington, not so close to Dallas proper, but in the DFW metropolis. It's about the "nicest in town."

Arlington (Texas ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews
Old 11-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #10

We are staying at Spring Creek RV Park in Plano. Car rental places within 2 miles. It is a ways out from art district but it is doable.
Jborer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #11

Spring Creek RV

Hello, and thanks for the recommendation.

Spring Creek sure is kind of squeezed in there isn't it? With just a few hundred feet between highway and railroad, it's probably not the quietest campground, but it is, so far, the closest to where i want to visit.

It's also centrally located to the lakes that lay East and West.

Thanks for the input.

Have a great day!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #12

Grapevine or Arlington sound best...but transit connections are going to be iffy.....
Any closer to Downtown Dallas - safety would be my main concern.
You don't want to be on foot downtown after dark and the transit system is haven to crime.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #13

Safety concern

That's really unfortunate, that a city like Dallas isn't safer. It's really a let-down in more than a few ways. Maybe i'll just pass it by for a better city.

Crime is so easy to understand, because all of it's elements are ages old and so well documented, that it's more than disappointing to see a community turn a blind eye to it. Kind of gutless isn't it! Didn't think that state of mind existed in Texas. Too bad!

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Come on up to Minn. Rv sites just minutes to the MOA Safe areas also. We were going to go toad less to Quartzite but just decided to take the toad with. It might take us longer but hey that's what I bought the KarKatty for... Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, texas