Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #1

Been doing some searches for this info here, but not much chatter after Katrina hit.

Wondering which are the best New Orleans area campgrounds to consider. post Katrina

Also would like to know if any of the original French Quarter and other area atttactions are still in business, and which we should be sure to see or do.

Thanks for any advice and experiences.

Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #2

Been doing some searches for this info here, but not much chatter after Katrina hit.

Wondering which are the best New Orleans area campgrounds to consider. post Katrina

Also would like to know if any of the original French Quarter and other area atttactions are still in business, and which we should be sure to see or do.

Thanks for any advice and experiences.

Joe

Old 04-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MojaveJoe,

Actually most parts of the French Quarter were not damaged that much, (mostly flooding) and are pretty much full swing now. For the lastest and newest rv resort(just 2 blocks from the French Quarter) try www.fqrv.com

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #4

I would not recommend staying in New Orleans...the RV park right off the French Quarter is walled (for a reason) and expensive. Try the Poche Plantation, about 45 minutes NW of New Orleans on the river road between NO and Baton Rouge. Nice park and restored plantation house right there, plus easy access to loads of other plantations to tour.
As to New Orleans, the French Quarter is all open and wanting your business. By all means go visit. Be sure to stop at the Cafe DuMonde for coffee and beigne (sp?) and try the Palace Cafe for lunch or diner...it is about a block from the Marriott hotel and on the same street. You can ride the street car, and I believe two lines ar4e now open.
Visited N.O. in February and loads of damage clearly visible.
Word of caution...stay on main routes and tourist areas. Do not wander around after dark outside the Quarter or on dark, empty streets. Safe during the day, but not at night.
It is still a fun place to visit, and the plantation homes along the Mississippi are truely grand!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey Joe,

I just came back from a week in New Orleans. I agree completely with KTYSTR. I had planned to take my rig to the French quarter rv resort too but the job was shortened so I flew down. I checked out the resort. The wall is there to keep the locals out. Ktystr didn't mention the ARMED GUARDS patrolling the inside of the grounds. The French Quarter is alive and crawling with New Orleans Police and La. State Troopers. I felt safe there but ANYWHERE else was a cause of great concern. Every night I personally witnessed several arrests at gunpoint within one block of the FQ. I'd go somewhere else.
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:50 AM   #6

Joe
FYI, Bayou Segnette SP on the WestBank is now reopened. Still a few FEMA trailers left but should all be gone by the end of April. 20min to the FQ via WestBank Expy and $1 toll bridge. Fees for the park are $16 and $8 with Golden Passport Card. Hard to beat. FQRV Resort is nice but very overpriced. It's safe to walk to and from the Quarter in daylight but at night the park will pay for a taxi back to the park.
Actually New Orleans is safer now than before the storm since a lot of the bad element is still in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. If you stay out of the slums where the drug dealing and murders are going on you're in good shape. Just druggies killing druggies. To me, good riddance. Most of the FQ and downtown restaurants are up and running, very little damage except from looting by a lot of those folks now in Houston, etc. These are mainly famous tourist traps and not the best food in the area. Sadly a lot of the really good, unique restaurants in Mid-City, Lakeview, etc. were flooded and probably won't reopen. Try eating in Metairie or Uptown, any kind of food you can imagine except good BarBQue. Check NOLA.com or Gambit Magazine for what's happening in town.
When coming to the area, especially from the West spend some time in the Lafayette/Acadiana area. That's where the really good food is. Headed that way in just a little while.
Dave

Dave
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:44 AM   #7

Looks like day trips into the FrQtr will be in order. Atleast for my first visit, until I figure out where to park and walk safely at night.

Lots of great info guys. Thanks and keep it coming.

Joe
Old 04-22-2007, 03:25 AM   #8

We've stayed here before http://www.stateparks.com/fontainebleau.html, it's across the big shallow lake that I can't spell, a 40 minute drive to the combat zone.