Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My DH has a friend who has a large telescope that he has mounted inside of his TT with a hole in the roof & hooked up to his laptop computer to star-gaze. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jody,
now there is a guy who likes to stargaze. That would be interesting to see how he did that. Does he have a hatch that swings open when he wants to view out?
We have a telescope at home hooked up to a computer. It is fun. I've never thought about converting our trailer into a mobile observatory though.
Mike

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2005, 09:31 AM   #16

We have not camped with him yet. My DH knows him from work & we hope to camp with him at end of year at Kissimmee Prairie so we can see those beautiful stars then.
It sounds like the perfect set up.
He has a window to the stars, in his trailer roof!
I'll keep the forum posted after I see it for myself.
Jody

Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #17

You have got me started! I use to have an observatory in my mobile home back in Indiana.

I have thought about cutting a hole in my now permenant home's roof, my Montara Tioga and putting the Meade 8" there.

When you have the telescope already mounted you are much more likely to use it. It is such a darn bit of work to set everything up and then take it back down.

With a MH mounted telescope you will not be able to take photos or CCD images unless you rest the frame on jacks. But CCD images take lots of time and photos take even more time. Just about everything has been imaged. I have taken a few photos and CCD images. It is a lot of fun to image process the CCD images and see deep space objects JUMP OUT at you. But it is also a lot of work to take all the images you need to just to get one finished image.

Arizona is probably your best place to observe.

David/zetron
Old 08-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With a MH mounted telescope you will not be able to take photos or CCD images unless you rest the frame on jacks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have not hooked ours up to a camera, but would likewise think that when you are focused in on a object a 100,000 miles away, a little vibration hurts the camera focus.

But, i have a question. When you operate your scope via computer, so you can real time track moving objects, what method are you using to calibrate your scope's postion in space? Do you know 2 or 3 planet's (or other objects) positions by heart that you can pinpoint your computers base point in space?
That sometimes takes me a bit to do it on my front lawn, much less somewhere else, although maybe the people in Texas have the same stars in the sky that we do here.

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote