Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Any tips for I 10 trip Texas to Cape Canaveral?

Friday we'll pull out of San Diego and begin our journey east to watch the STS 131 Space Shuttle launch currently scheduled for 3/18. We'll be taking a direct route along I 10 to Houston and then up to Livingston to join Escapees and "become Texans". We've scheduled nearly a week there.

Does anyone have any advice on what not to miss between Houston and the space coast? We should wrap up in Livingston around 3/19 so we'll have nearly a month to cover that distance so we'll have time to do some tasting of local faire.

I've read quite a bit here about tips for watching a launch but would welcome more as well as things to do while staying in the Titusville area.
We're prepared to stay and wait for the launch assuming the schedule gets pushed out.

Thanks much!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rick,
In Alabama there is:
Mobile - USS Battleship Alabama Memorial. The battleship Alabama is there along with other ships. There is also a B52 bomber. If you have never seen a B52, it is a sight to behold.

Huntsville - USA Space & Rocket Center - This is the only place you will see a Saturn V rocket (the moon rocket) vertical and looking like it is ready to launch. There are a full day of activities at the Rocket Center.

In Florida there is:
Pensacola Naval Air Museum - There is no finer air museum than this one. If you can be there when the Blue Angels are practicing, that is a bonus. This is a ful day of museum.

Chumuckla- Farmers Opry is most every weekend. The Contact info is
sandy@farmersopry.com or calling 850-994-6000. Chumuckla is North of Pensacola. You will not find Chumuckla on many maps. Call for directions. This is a dinner and show. The food is good and the show is "G" rated family entertainment. Some of the people who perform here have gone on to sign record contracts in Nashville. There is a CG next to the Opry house. If you decide to stay here, ask about the CG when you call about the show.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow Rick! I'd love to see a launch and I retired from NASA. I guess I better get a Round-Tuit!

There is a lot to do all along your route. If you are going to be in Texas for awhile you may want to check out the Space Center Houston, and a tour of JSC.

The Natural Museum of Science is interestingo and have different venues.

Moody Gardens, Galveston, and the Strand in Galveston, pus the beaches are something to visit.

Check on the map and most of it is withing 100 mles of Livingston, an easy day tour for most Texans.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Cattleman's Steakhouse

Hello Rick, once you passed El Paso, you come up to Fabens, take that EXIT 49 and go 5 Miles NORTH. On the right hand side you will see this legendary Steakhouse (BEST in the WEST - my opinion). Some say in North America - I agree too!!!

www.cattleman'ssteakhouse.com

Can't miss it...

Have a fun trip
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
paz

Here's another vote for the USS Alabama in Mobile. Also in Mobile is Bellingrath Gardens. The Azaleas should be starting to bloom around mid March. The Carnival (Mardi Gras) Museum in Mobile was also interesting.

In Pensacola, check out Gulf Shores National Seashore (parts of the national seashore are also located in MS). There are beautiful white sand beaches and old forts.

Since you'll be Escapees, Rainbow Plantation in Summerdale is an excellent place for a base to visit Mobile and even take a day trip to Pensacola.

PS: If you stay in Summerdale, the Shrimp Basket in Foley has good fried shrimp and seafood as does Big Daddy's in Fairhope, although Big Daddy's is a bit more expensive.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #6

If you are looking for a nice RV park as you approach San Antonio, Check out Lake Buckhorn resort in Kerville. It is just of I-10. The rest area a few miles east from the Buckhorn exit is also very nice.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Here's another vote for the USS Alabama in Mobile. Also in Mobile is Bellingrath Gardens. The Azaleas should be starting to bloom around mid March. The Carnival (Mardi Gras) Museum in Mobile was also interesting.
We were at Bellingrath Gardens in Nov and has to be really neat as Spring starts.

http://www.bellingrath.org/
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you have some time to spend on your trip east, I'd highly recommend stopping at the Davis Mountains State Park to get a taste of the Big Bend area of West Texas. It's ~35 miles south of I-10 and has full hookups, including 50 amp service and even cable TV. I would drive the 70 mile scenic loop, take the tour at McDonald Observatory and, with a spare day, drive the River Road (FM170) on a day trip loop (Fort Davis > Alpine > Study Butte > Presidio > Marfa > Fort Davis).

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #9

I heartily second the suggestion to visit the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. We visited a few years back, and our volunteer guide had been a WW2 pilot. He had personal experiences with several of the aircraft on display, and had just stopped driving his motorhome due to age related issues. We had a great tour.

Also, consider getting off I-10 and driving US-98 along the Gulf. There's a neat little RV park near Carrabelle Beach: The "Ho-Hum RV Park" has sites right along the water.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I grew up in Mobile. The azaleas at that time should be in bloom. Drive in the car (not motorhome) to downtown Mobile via Govt Blvd or Dauphin Street. They Azalea are beautiful. While downtown go to Winzell Oyster house. They have been there since 1943. Good seafood and a building you have to see to believe. Also go to Bellingrath Gardens and tour the house. Stay at I-10 campround I-10 exit 13, Not much to look at but good if your driving through. Easy on and off the interstate. Have fun.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #11

Thumbs up launch

this weekend there is the last night launch at 04:38 am sunday.
late mike
ktm500mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
KIX

If you've never visited St. Augustine, FL......the oldest city in the nation......they could use some of your tourista dollars too.
IF you can get a site at Manatee Hammock State Park in Cocoa(?) it would be a great place to view the launch from.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #13

You will only be 40 miles from our home! You will love this area. If you get the chance, take a trip to the heart of the Big Thicket and see the beautiful Southeast Texas forest! Kountze has one of the top 10 b b que restaurants in Texas. Carolines Quality Bar B Que is only open on Fridays and Saturdays (until they run out of food). You will not find any better in the great state of Texas!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #14
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Texas bbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemom View Post
You will only be 40 miles from our home! You will love this area. If you get the chance, take a trip to the heart of the Big Thicket and see the beautiful Southeast Texas forest! Kountze has one of the top 10 b b que restaurants in Texas. Carolines Quality Bar B Que is only open on Fridays and Saturdays (until they run out of food). You will not find any better in the great state of Texas!
Another super STOP for TEXAS BBQ... (made a NOTE) well by the time somebody drives from Fabens to Kountze, a person is hungry again...
and my DW and I can't get enough of that TEXAS BBQ...
Since we plan on driving clockwise around the country, we will stop first in Kounze, if we hit it on those OPEN DAYS
Maybe we can drive from one good EATING PLACE to another..
Who would like to get a RV Train on the road!!!?

I'm getting hungry

TW

TW is offline   Reply With Quote