Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

Anyone going to Louden, NH for the Sep 21 Race Weekend?

Going to attempt our 1 st NASCAR event. Not sure what to expect. Boondocking all weekend is gonna be different . We have friends going but they were lucky enough to get Premier Family Lots. We are in Premier lots too but in General. Party!.... I guess... Lol

Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went last year, after a late decision to go, and ended up in the very back lot. It was actually a nice location that we had nearly to ourselves all week - but it certainly filled in on Friday and Saturday.

Bookdocking shouldn't be too bad. We were there for a week and had plenty of fuel, water and didn't have to empty the black or grey tanks. We've done the boondocking thing a few times before, so we know what to expect.

Also, if you need water, ice or tanks dumped, there are trucks that run through all the camping areas throughout the day, every day.

Here are some tips ...

- Fill, Fill, Fill the gas tank on the motorhome at one of the gas stations on that last stretch of highway before the track. You don't want to have to leave with the motorhome, or get fuel cans to add more fuel while you are parked

- We travel with 5 Gallon Water Bottle, the type that go on a water cooler, and usually bring 3 or 4 along with us. We then fill up smaller containers with water, and use this water for all our drinking and cooking water needs

- Find some small plastic pans to fit into the sink(s) and when washing dishes, fill one with soapy water to wash in, the other with clean rinse water. Then you can use this water in the black tank, or maybe even the rinse water dumped outside. We can easily fill the grey tank in 3 or 4 days if we are washing dishes right in the sink

- Use Paper plates, plastic utensils, plastic cups to cut down on the amount of dishes you need to wash

- When washing your hands and brushing teeth, don't let the water run. Use it sparingly to preserve it and to cut down on filling the grey tank

- Navy showers when showering in the motorhome, or you can also visit the FW Webb shower houses that are down near the track. I hear that these are some of the nicest public/track shower houses available. We didn't use them as it's only 2 of us and we've gotten the bookdocking/navy showers down pretty well.

- We carry a countertop ice maker with us to keep from having to buy ice daily.

- Don't plan on being able to run your genny 24x7. Depending on where you are parked and what your neighbors are doing, you can get away with it. But if we're in a spot where our neighbors are shutting it off at 11pm, then we do as well.

- Carry some extra extension cords. We carry quite a few indoor and outdoor cords in varying lengths. This helps with lighting up the outside, as well as running through the interior - especially when we are running on battery as our only inverter is in the bedroom

- Bring a small, soft sided cooler with cold drinks and snacks for the race. If you have a wheeled cooler, you can wheel that up to the track, and then lock it to the fence outside. You'd be surprised how heavy a small cooler filled with ice and drinks gets on the walk from the motorhome lots. Don't forget to bring a few bottles of water to go along with the Adult Beverages and Soda - you will appreciate it.

- Last summer we had great seats on the front stretch in the upper section - Under the shade of the overhang for the truck race. These seats were GREAT. We could see the whole race and did not get beat up by the sun. On Sunday we had seats in the middle of turns 3 & 4. There is NO shade here and it was a HOT, HOT day. I wore my ball cap, a light colored short sleeve shirt AND a long sleeve white button down shirt over it. This was great to keep the sun off of me, but still light enough to keep me from getting too overheated. I could also use it to cover my legs when they got too hot. Wearing proper clothing to cover your face, neck, arms and legs is really crucial at this track for most seats, as nearly all of them get full sun during the race - along with making sure you're applying sunscreen!

We were sitting around some people that were in their long blue jeans, dark T-shirts and we could see that they were just getting heat stroked. Shaking arms while they were trying to drink, sweat pouring off of them. For us, the day got so hot in the stands that we left just after the 3/4 mark. Even with the light colored clothing, water and planning, the sun and heat that day was just too much. There was nearly no cloud cover throughout the entire race.

After having similar race conditions the day before, we decided that when we do go back for a race, that we're definitely going to seek out upper level seats that end up getting shaded by the overhang.

- Most of all ... make sure you have some fun! Last year there was a warrior dash and go-kart track near the entrance to the camping areas, and There's always the souvenir trucks and vendor area.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't have a GenTuri for your generator, buy one of these ASAP. We got ours on Amazon for a great price last year Camco 44461 Gen-Turi RV Generator Exhaust Venting System : Amazon.com : Automotive

It's really crucial when in tight camping conditions like this to send your generator exhaust up and over the top of the motorhome. We were are the September Richmond race last year parked next to someone who did not have one. I ended up turning our camper around so that their generator exhaust was directed towards the passengers seat instead of our bedroom.

The Genturi is an easy install, and sets up in only a couple of minutes. I did not add any mounts directly to our motorhome for the attached bungy cords - instead I just use two more longer bungy cords and stretch them to the underside of the motorhome to keep the genturi in place.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We will be there on thursday,staying at speedway sports park, right next to the speedway. This is a private campground within walking distance to the track. Stayed at the tracks camp sites once, way to crowded for me.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #5

Wow! Some great advise! Most I wouldn't have even thought of.

1 thing- don't get the part about the extension cords. Is there a plug in the rig that runs off the batteries?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Wow! Some great advise! Most I wouldn't have even thought of.

1 thing- don't get the part about the extension cords. Is there a plug in the rig that runs off the batteries?
We do have one inverter in the motorhome that we can use to power up 120V electronics when running on battery power. Our inverter is in the bedroom, so when the genny is not running, we can run extension cords from the bedroom to the front/living space to power up our laptops as well as the entire tv/media center. You can see some photos of our inverter, as well as my mods to it here http://www.ourrvjourney.com/a-few-mo...ended-journey/

I have the front TV, wireless router, vonage router and dvd player plugged into a power strip. When we are on shore power or generator power, I leave the power strip plugged into the 110V outlet. When we are on battery power, I unplug the strip from 110V and plug it into an extension cord that I leave in the overhead compartment - then I just connect that cord to a separate cord that runs from the inverter in the bedroom.

Eventually we'll get another inverter(s) so that we don't have to string cords across the floor, but it works good enough for now.

And yes, I said Vonage router. When we are traveling in the motorhome, we bring our home/office phone with us. We have a WifiRanger router in the motorhome that connects our entire motorhome network (3 laptops, wireless printer, vonage phone). The DW and I also each have Verizon Android Smartphones. So while we are traveling down the road, or at our campsite, we fire up one and/or the other phone, activate the FoxFire wifi router on the phone(s) and then our WifiRanger uses this as an internet connection. This then gives our laptops and vonage router a connection to the internet. This has worked great for us in both 3G and 4G areas, and we've seen a big ramp up of 4G coverage when we travel. Some of our speeds over 4G (through our SmartPhones) is better than our cable internet connection at home.

We also use our Smartphones to connect to our Slingboxes at home. If you're not sure of what a Slingbox is, here is some info Basically the slingbox sits between your cable box and your TV. It has a network connection on your home internet that allows you to connect to and watch your TV at home from ANYWHERE - streaming the signal that comes out of your cable box. All you need to watch your TV remotely is a computer with an internet connection, or a SmartPhone/iPhone with the Slingbox app. You get full control over your cable box to change channels, set and view DVR recordings - it's just like using your remote when at home. The DW and I each have our own slingbox, so we can each watch our own programs and our Android SmartPhone also have HDMI out ports, so we don't have to just watch our home TV on our laptop or SmartPhone, we can use the HDMI cable to output to our 42" overhead TV or the 19" TV in the bedroom. While it can be a little noticeable (pixelated sometimes) on 3G, when we are in 4G coverage, the picture is just as clear as being at home. This works great for us when there is nothing to watch on the OTR Digital Antenna, or we just want to watch our favorite cable TV shows while on the road.

For now, this setup has enabled us to save some $$ by not having to install a satellite dish with multiple boxes and the associated service. And we're currently have unlimited data service plans for our Verizon SmartPhones - we got them a few months before Verizon changed their plans to tiered service.

Back to the cords ....

The other extension cords are for the outside and power up/plug into the 110V outlets in our basement storage bay. This bay has a weatherproof plug that lets up drop the cords out of the bottom of the bay. We use this outlet to power up all our outside lights that we string across the canopy. We also use these outlets (and cords) to power up things like the blender and ice maker when we're hanging out outside.

Another thing we also carry is a dozen solar "yard" lights that we put around the motorhome and car trailer. This makes it easier to find the motorhome at night when we are walking the dogs, as well as just lighting up our space.

Just because ... here's some photos

Our typical outside lighting with 110V lights that we string up under our canopy and pop-up tent along with the some of the solar lights placed on the trailer.

Our WiFiRanger Router installed in our overhead compartment. The Vonage router velcro's in right next to it. We gained a huge amount of space up here when we took out the tube TV and put in an LCD. You can also see the end of the extension cord that I plug into when I need to run all the front electronics on battery power.

The WiFiRanger Boost Module/Antenna installed on the Batwing TV antenna. This enables us to connect to WiFi networks nearly a mile away

Our camping spot at Loudon last year. We took our office with us for a few weeks last summer and spent about a month on the road. We went to the last race before the Chase at Richmond 2 weeks earlier, visited some family in between, and then spent a week camping at New Hampshire. It was a great finish to the summer for us. You can see the extension cord on the table that gets connected to the inverter in the bedroom. Typically if we don't need to run the genny while boondocking, we will run off of battery - then fire up the genny when we need to charge the batteries, or need to use the appliances like the microwave or rooftop a/c. While I've calculated that we only burn a little over 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour on generator, it's still a fuel savings when we are not running it.

And this photos shows our former Verizon MiFi router on the desk. We used these as well for internet access and to feed internet to our WiFiRanger. We had these before we had SmartPhones and were running the contract out after we got our SmartPhones. Figured as long as we were paying for them every month, we would use up the included bandwidth.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #7

Thats a great set up there! I just use my Iphone as a Wifi and connect from my lap top that way. Pretty easy and fast too. But ya got have a good wireless signal, of court. So far, hasn't been an issue.

Now that I have tons of info...all I need now is some nice weather! lol
Old 09-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Going to attempt our 1 st NASCAR event. Not sure what to expect. Boondocking all weekend is gonna be different . We have friends going but they were lucky enough to get Premier Family Lots. We are in Premier lots too but in General. Party!.... I guess... Lol
So how was your weekend at NHMS? From TV it looked like a great weekend - aside from some rain - but raceday looked like it was great weather!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Great time! Had some battery issues but not too bad. Added an extra coach battery for the boon docking but still had to restart my engine after 5 - 6 hrs to start my generator because the batteries were so dead. Only thing on was the fridge but that's propane do no idea. Went through everything to find where the drain was coming from but found nothing.

The race was uneventfull so a bit boring. The parties were off the hook and lots to see and do.

Definety one of those things you have to do at least once.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Great time! Had some battery issues but not too bad. Added an extra coach battery for the boon docking but still had to restart my engine after 5 - 6 hrs to start my generator because the batteries were so dead. Only thing on was the fridge but that's propane do no idea. Went through everything to find where the drain was coming from but found nothing.

The race was uneventfull so a bit boring. The parties were off the hook and lots to see and do.

Definety one of those things you have to do at least once.
Great to hear that you had a good time, but that's too bad about the battery situation. But hey, at least you were boondocking in a location that had plenty of assistance if you needed it!

I'm a bit surprised that your batteries went down so quickly - as I'm sure you are too! - we can typically get nearly a day, with using power from our inveter for our laptops and maybe even a TV, before I need to fire up the genny, and considering that it sounds like you just had lights running, that's a quick discharge.

Quote:
The race was uneventfull so a bit boring.
Ha ok .... I said this about last years race too. It became so much of follow-the-leader, and it was so hot out, that we left just after the 3/4 mark. Of course one of our drivers won last year (Tony Stewart) and we missed the resulting celebration.

But What about that burnout / celebration by Denny? That was awesome, down the front stretch and into turns 1 and 2. That is certainly a top 5 burnout this year. One of my favorite burnouts was one that Jimmy did in the #48 when he reached out the window during the burnout and grabbed the flag from the flagman without stopping ...

We've been to a few races at NHMS and not all of them have been boring like the last 2 September races. I'm sure we'll go back to NHMS for more races in the future, but we'd also like to visit some other tracks we have not been to.

We *really* like the Richmond night race (we went last year), and usually the day race is good there too. Dover is on our list too as it's about the same distance from us as NHMS is. We had a great time at Pocono this past June, with a GREAT RV Parking spot.

Then of course on our list is Talladega, Daytona, Charlotte and Bristol .. maybe Kentucky too.

Maybe we'll catch up with you at one of the races sometime.