Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2019, 03:49 AM   #1

Anyone have experience with Resorts of Distinction?

We are close to pulling the trigger on this membership. We go full time next month and we think it may be a good fit for us given our travel style and the locations of parks in the system. However it is not a small chunk of change and we are concerned about any pitfalls that we're not yet aware of. Does anyone have firsthand experience with their system, either good or bad?
Zoomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 07:45 AM   #2

Never heard of it. So, no first hand experience.
Sounds a bit like a time share for campers, because you have to establish a "home resort" and then might get free camping elsewhere, but the website info is so convoluted and confusing, it's unclear how it all works, at least to me.
How much do they want for joining the ROD club in addition to the cost of your "home resort", and how much does that cost?There are penalties for letting your account get too low, so what's that all about?
There are caveats about rules can change and member resorts can drop out without notice, and so on, which would be worrisome.
If you browse their directory of locations, very few have ratings. Yet they've been around since 1994?
I'm a simple man, admittedly. If I can't figure something like this out, including all costs/fees, by reading one or two pages of their website, I usually move on.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Never heard of it. So, no first hand experience.
Sounds a bit like a time share for campers, because you have to establish a "home resort" and then might get free camping elsewhere, but the website info is so convoluted and confusing, it's unclear how it all works, at least to me.
How much do they want for joining the ROD club in addition to the cost of your "home resort", and how much does that cost?There are penalties for letting your account get too low, so what's that all about?
There are caveats about rules can change and member resorts can drop out without notice, and so on, which would be worrisome.
If you browse their directory of locations, very few have ratings. Yet they've been around since 1994?
I'm a simple man, admittedly. If I can't figure something like this out, including all costs/fees, by reading one or two pages of their website, I usually move on.
I agree this does not sound like anything I would want.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
We met with the park that would be our home park. The ROD travel club is $159 in addition to your joining fee, so basically free in my opinion. The requirement for your travel account is $25 minimum, and that's for ancillary expenses that you might choose to skip out on at a park. Seems superfluous to me -- if I was going to skip out on something (I wouldn't) it would be more than $25. The other concerns you mention are the same ones we have. If your home park chooses to leave the ROD program, or if they get kicked out for low quality, you are SOL. You still have your home park membership (meaningless to us since we will be living on the road, not here) but your travel benefits disappear.
Zoomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomcat View Post
We met with the park that would be our home park. The ROD travel club is $159 in addition to your joining fee, so basically free in my opinion. The requirement for your travel account is $25 minimum, and that's for ancillary expenses that you might choose to skip out on at a park. Seems superfluous to me -- if I was going to skip out on something (I wouldn't) it would be more than $25. The other concerns you mention are the same ones we have. If your home park chooses to leave the ROD program, or if they get kicked out for low quality, you are SOL. You still have your home park membership (meaningless to us since we will be living on the road, not here) but your travel benefits disappear.
I think you've answered your questions, then?
"avoid".
Why not look into Passport America or Escapees, if you're looking for occasional discounted camping?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #6

I looked up a couple locations that are a bit north of us. We are in Ocean Shores, WA. Personally, I would select the State Park by us. It is fabulous and an easy walk to the beach. For us, we would not be interested.
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #7

I signed onto one of these campground time shares? when I got home I read a little further into the available campgrounds and found most of them could NOT accommodate a larger rig ( 42') I had three days to cancel which I did but they would not refund my money I had to file a dispute with my credit card company and send them a copy of the written contract. they did end up refunding my deposit with my credit card company's intervention
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote