Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Anyone stuck in the recent Wyoming/Dakota storm?

Hey! Just wondering, for future reference, if anyone has been caught in the recent snow storm up in the North West.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Weather Channel showed a couple holding up in therir Airstream trailer. I believe they were in S Dakota. They did not interview the couple though.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #3

Snow storm rv'ing

I think i saw that airstream shot.

Our government has the national parks closed down, but there may still be more than a few motorhomes out there, in state and local campgrounds, that are waist deep in snow. Even if they can get to a cleared road, the driving has to be treacherous.

I'm just getting into the motorhome life style, but from what i have read so far, not all RV's are set up to sustain this kind of environment for very long. I hope their doing alright.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
PDR John is stuck out there.

Newmar Hoots Looking for a Roost
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #5

Snowed in

Thanks, those are interesting photo's that PDR John has shared.

Don't know his model and year motorhome all that well, but i would guess the basements are heated. If that's the case, then as long as the fuel holds out, he'll be fine. Might be a good time to order some local diesel delivery, to hold him over until he can get out. I didn't notice if he was plugged in or not.

There seemed to be some other campers in the background of the photo's. Next year, everyones packing list is probably going to have some new items. Shovels and things like that.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
John will be pulling out in the next couple of days and heading to Sevierville TN. We'll be meeting up with him there. His rig info is in his signature.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My mail is certainly stuck in Box Elder SD. Got an email today from Americas Mailbox describing the 9 foot drifts in some parts of town. No power for 3 days.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Yup been in HILL CITY SD since Thursday! Lost power 1am Friday...just got it back today 8pm...quite a storm for these folks...we're plowed out Sunday...fortunately I filled fuel tank before coming to the park...Aqua hot, auto gen worked great...
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
December 21st 2013, "The Winter Solstice" is suppose to be the first day of winter. How about that!

The word solstice comes from the Latin words for "sun" and "to stand still.” In the Northern Hemisphere, as summer advances to winter, the points on the horizon where the Sun rises and sets advance southward each day; the high point in the Sun’s daily path across the sky, which occurs at local noon, also moves southward each day. At the winter solstice, the Sun’s path has reached its southernmost position. The next day, the path will advance northward. However, a few days before and after the winter solstice, the change is so slight that the Sun’s path seems to stay the same, or stand still. The Sun is directly overhead at "high-noon" on Winter Solstice at the latitude called the Tropic of Capricorn. In the Northern Hemisphere, the solstice days are the days with the fewest hours of sunlight during the whole year.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #10

Just another day of survival

Well, glad to hear everyones support systems are running as designed. That's a good thing!

Everyone seems to have the fuel sources under control too, but i wonder, did everyone have their real essentials in adequate quantities to sit out a storm like that? I mean, did everyone have enough chips, pretzels, popcorn, m&m's, k-cups for the coffee machine, ice cream, cake and pizza to get threw the storm

Satellite TV isn't the same without a quality based nutritional snack plan. Cheese and crackers, more pizza, some pan cakes. It makes shoveling snow WAY more easier knowing those meals are waiting inside.

All of you have some great looking couches to hang out in. Is anyone, or is everyone, using chains in that snow? How's the local road crew doing on getting everything cleared?