Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Apology to Wawaloam Campground

This is a formal notice to the campground at 510 Gardiner Rd,
West Kingston, RI 02892 and to others who might make the same mistake that I did. While traveling this summer we had the occasion to stay more than a week here and at $50/day, we thought it a bit pricey, like most things in NE. Anyway, we made the mistake of not completely reading the rules and brought in a family member for 1 1/2 hours from 8 - 9pm one evening. No facilities were used and they never left our site for this short stay that they expected to be paid for. Evidently, they have people and many who watch everything that moves, both night and day and quite an achievement, considering the size of this facility. I never did find out why the seasonal people who previously occupied our site paid for the whole season and then left early, even leaving the TV cable connected. Evidently they got paid twice for this site, as well.
Luckily we were only chastised for this rule infraction with a note found on our windshield the next morning (see attached). Needless to say, we promptly checked out and from the looks we got, we certainly weren't wanted after this incident, anyway.

Incidentally, I never charged them for pounded down the re-bar that was sticking up thru the wood ties surrounding the parking area. Just hope that I didn't run over any of it with the new tires I had just put on the day of arrival. Didn't see any sign of damage, so assume all is well with the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rules Violation.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	74389  
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #2

Plzzzzzz . What is the ruling for a pizza delivery?

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 2015 Anthem or Cornerstone
Old 09-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDefector View Post
Plzzzzzz . What is the ruling for a pizza delivery?

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 2015 Anthem or Cornerstone
Hard to say, considering that they have a restaurant of their own. Here's a review from another camper for further consideration....

Cat Lac

Wawaloam Campground, owned and operated by the Smith Family.

Rules, Rules, and more Rules...

I strongly urge avoiding this campground if you would like to avoid feeling like you are walking on egg shells your entire visit! Here are a few reasons we encountered during our visit for you to consider into your plans:

1. Unable to view the campgrounds website prior to our 2012 Memorial Day weekend arrival, due to virus warnings from my antivirus software if enter their site.

2. Found a note on the door of our RV in the morning, informing us our RV entrance mat was not regulation size and to remove it immediately. So many other nicer ways they could have handled this.

3. Inconsistent enforcement of rules observed, as other RV entrance mats where just as large if not larger than ours.

4. No chairs provided for your comfort at the pool, waterslide or mini golf area's to relax and watch your children from.

5. $20 per child for the use of the waterslide. No discounts offered, therefore expensive especially for a family with 4 children!

6. Unable to enter the mini golf area, unless you also pay, to assist your children play and keep score.

7. Children without a helmet not permitted to ride their bikes. Campground does not provide nor sell helmets.

8. Unable to reuse the same plate at the breakfast buffet to go through again. Must wait in a entirely different line for a new plate, first.

9. Children are not allow to have more than 1 bingo card to play candy bar bingo.

10. Must be under 18 yrs old to play candy bar bingo.

11. Our campsite was located among other weekend RV's parallel to a row of seasonal RV's where the seasonal residents, on Saturday morning Memorial Day weekend, where out with their motorized lawn mowers, leaf blowers and hedgers. Very unpleasant and noisy!

12. Out of 300 campsites, only approx. 20 have sewer hook-ups. Inconvenient.

13. Upon arrival after checking in at the office, pulled the car into our assigned campsite for ease of unloading into the RV. Before I had the opportunity to even shut the car off or open the car door, I was abruptly approached by the owners, aggressively driving up on me in their golf cart, scolding me "I can't park there, only one vehicle per site, you need to park in a visitors lot"...

Not a smile on their faces or in their voices, no hello, no welcome, is this your first time staying with us...!

Again, so many other nicer ways they could have handled themselves.

14. I even experienced another Smith family member (female) making a sarcastic remark as I held up my entrance ID at the gate upon re-entry after making a store run.

15. Beware, noticed a Asian long- horned beetle among the bundled firewood purchased from their campground store.

16. Also, the firewood bundles were mixed with old construction 2x4 wood as well.

17. Got the impression, the Smith family's priority is the manicure of their campground rather than with your family or children's enjoyment, quality of stay or convenience.

In addition, they want you to get the message, they are policing you and if you don't like it, don't come back!

Recommendation: There are plenty of other, more worthy, nicer and welcoming New England campgrounds to visit to call your home away from home for your family's enjoyment throughout the summer!

All the Best,

A fellow RV camper
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow! I can understand needing rules but they are like some of the airline attendants. Snarly if your seat leans back 1/4", even worse when they discover what you have been telling them that the seat is broken, do not raise the headrest to support your head in case of an accident but be sure it is at its lowest position to ensure your neck is broken and on and on. Thanks for heads up on that park, not going to stay there for sure.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 09-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Helmet and plate issues might be local laws. I have run into the clean plate for each trip to a buffet in several states. I thought kids helmet law was universal.

Beetles are an area problem. They are probably burning off ash that was cut do to infestation. Some dry framing lumber is somewhat of a courtesy as it provides kindling especially handy if the ash is a bit green.

If you watch the way folks around there make a game of screwing the system you would understand why the system is a PITA. They feed on each other. I avoid the states of Connecticut and Road Island as much as possible. I'd rather leave my money in more friendly places. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Helmet and plate issues might be local laws. I have run into the clean plate for each trip to a buffet in several states. I thought kids helmet law was universal.

Beetles are an area problem. They are probably burning off ash that was cut do to infestation. Some dry framing lumber is somewhat of a courtesy as it provides kindling especially handy if the ash is a bit green.

If you watch the way folks around there make a game of screwing the system you would understand why the system is a PITA. They feed on each other. I avoid the states of Connecticut and Road Island as much as possible. I'd rather leave my money in more friendly places. ;-)
This has nothing to do with camping, but you reminded me why I left Connecticut after living there for 10 months back in 1980. I was over & over treated like I did not belong there. Shopped at the same small store & gas station each week & the owner would not even acknowledge me when I was polite to him & said hello.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I paid $10 to have my stepson drop me off at my site at the Malibu RV Resort in Malibu CA. Was already paying over $100/day for the site. Stepson did not stay or even get out of his car - just dropping me off. If his car touched the property the money was due.

When trying to discuss it with the guy at the gate he became quite contentious so I had him call out a manager - who upheld the charge.

We used to stay there a few times a year, as it's close to the kids and a beautiful ocean view. Have not done so since... Hope they enjoyed the $10 for the thousands in revenue they lost.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #8

Coombs Country Campground, Coombs BC.
Rented a spot for two nights to attend a wedding nearby. My son and his girl also attending the wedding came to pitch a tent in our site and we let management know. They charged us $10.00 per night, five for each of them and then charged them $25.00 per night to pitch their tent in our site. I LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT THEM and we will never go there again.

ps: Showers are extra and facilities are not clean.
Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Park Reviews can help squelch some of the pent up anger. It helps me sometimes.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I would hope you post reviews of the campground for others to learn. There's no excuse for rude treatment. One point though, how did you, "...brought in a family member for 1 1/2 hours from 8 - 9pm one evening."

I've encountered other campgrounds with 'super rules' with signs posted on every upright saying, "No No No " As someone who had to manage a classroom for 30+ years it's easy to make long lists of No's, much harder to state expectations in more positive terms. Many campgrounds need lessons in this customer friendly attitude.

Also, if you don't express your feelings as you exit the campground, how will they improve?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I may be a little different but, I like a campground that has rules and enforces them. If I don't like their rules, I either don't go there or leave.

Wawaloam Campground sounds much better than a campground with a page of rules and they're not worth the paper they're printed on.

My humble opinion.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I can usually deal with the places having a long list of rules... but I CAN'T deal with people who are jerks about it.

Unfortunately, supply and demand will continue to drive behavior and until their business suffers they are not likely to change.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #13

If you don't like rules then don't plan on staying at the Platte River Campground in the awesome Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in northern Michigan. This is the way that the campground stays as nice as it is and it is filled to capacity constantly.

Don't like to read rules? Well, there you don't have to. When you check in, the rules are read to you.

We've volunteered there nine seasons and the park receives nothing but positive comments.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #14

Just like anything in life, rules/laws ect were created because someone somewhere abused common sense, took advantage of things and were not courteous or respectful to others. Ultimatley the rules/laws were inacted that provide a mechanism to keep peace and harmony amongst people. Unfortunately there are people who line up to break the rules/laws because they only care about themselves, and their needs and the rules/laws are for everybody else.

I do not agree with people being rude or indignant enforcing the rules and I tend to stay away from places where they are overzelous and nitpick people for very minor things. At one park we stayed in they direct you to your site and watch you park, after they left I moved my MH about 3 feet to level it better and get closer to the hookups. A lady (in a golf cart, maybe that's the problem) started yelling at me that I was not allowed to move my MH without her being present. I asked why and she said they were liable if I hit another MH( the spots were empty on both sides of us and I could have fit two MH's in my spot alone). I complained to her boss who agreed she was out of line, but they just didn't want people driving their MH's in/out to go to the store/sightseeing ect. It was just someone who took the rules too far, and imposed their own interpetation. That can happen just don't stay there again.

But I do like staying in the CG's where there are rules that are enforced so everyone can enjoy there stay. Those tend to be the nicer kept CG's because they maintan there property better.

Always remember it is their park and their rules, because it is there money invested not ours. They have the right to protect their investment and we have the right to choose other locations if we can't deal with it. Just my 2 cents.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground