Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #15

We recently stayed at a military campground in Virginia to visit family. The place was 98% permanent campers with only a few sites available for short term travelers (prime tourist location). And there was so much junk. We were parked right next to a junky motor home that I cannot imagine could ever move and the trash around his unit was terrible. The person living there was not active duty military either and I know he has been living there for several years. One would think it would be much nicer since it was a military campground and they usually have strict rules but not this particular military campground.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
You guys are confusing fulltimers with slobs.

If campers are permitted to have junk strewn about and chained dogs whether they're staying a couple of days or a couple of years then they're simply slobs and the CG operator is at fault for not making or enforcing rules about such things...and that CG will eventually go under.
Exactly right. Seems the OP's main complaint ( not being critical ) is the condition of the site next door as well as the behavior. I've been to a couple of commercial campgrounds, maybe the one the OP was just at, that have long term "Campers" and for the most part would not even walk through the area, much less want to camp there.

wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Hence the reason some campground have adapted the 10 year old or new RV rule. To keep their facilities look nice and inviting, and to cut down on vagrants.
Wow, If you are in agreement with that, Sorry, I did not know that my 2005 signature dose not look nice enough for you.
I agree with the junk around the site & dogs & no we are not permanent residence. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8231 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	133670  
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed overnight in a "trailer park" near San Francisco and encountered much of the same conditions as have been described. Old trailers, junk lying about, assorted pets. In this case we were the outliers. The park was for low income, 'disadvantaged' people who could not afford to live in better conditions.

It was one of the friendliest campgrounds we stayed in during that trip.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
C&SL; Those campgrounds with the 10 year rule do not enforce it to the letter. If a unit is over 10 years and in good shape then it's not an issue. The 10 year rule started for the most part in Calif. as a way for campground to protect themselves. When unemployed/homeless people would pull into a campground and pay for a weeks stay, at the end of the week they'd refuse to leave. In order for the campground to evict them, they'd have to go to court and the process could take several months.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Being discussed here also "Live-ins" or, "Long termers" and reservations!
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
We recently stayed at a military campground in Virginia to visit family. The place was 98% permanent campers with only a few sites available for short term travelers (prime tourist location). And there was so much junk. We were parked right next to a junky motor home that I cannot imagine could ever move and the trash around his unit was terrible. The person living there was not active duty military either and I know he has been living there for several years. One would think it would be much nicer since it was a military campground and they usually have strict rules but not this particular military campground.
Interesting, would you elaborate which fam camp this was?
Old 07-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
As to Fam Camp being taken up by full time residency campers, from what I've read on the reviews on "militarycampgrounds.us" it seems that more and more of the Fam Camps sites are being taken up by permanent residences. We've been to the one at Westover ARB Chicoppee Ma, and over the 4 years we've been going there, there has been the same 5th wheel there all the time and the wife is a civilian employee at the base and her husband works else where. In fact Westover is now renting out sites as seasonal sites too.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #23

Living in an RV park

I have been living in my RV park for 12 years next month of course I did not plan it that way. I keep my site uncluttered but do have a 10 X 14 shed with a bump out for an air compressor for my shop. I do wood working and repairs when I have the time and the temperatures allow. I keep the area around my site picked up and I trim the trees. I use my trailer several times a year so it might be gone for a few days to a month at a time.

Not all the sites are kept up and have started to become collection points for junk. Others have done a lot of landscaping and plantings around their rigs. I think that is up to management to police. We have quite a few that are in the air force and do different kinds of construction.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
You guys are confusing fulltimers with slobs.

If campers are permitted to have junk strewn about and chained dogs whether they're staying a couple of days or a couple of years then they're simply slobs and the CG operator is at fault for not making or enforcing rules about such things...and that CG will eventually go under.

You cant say that, it's not nice, you'll have to use the term (Alternative hygienic individuals)LOL
No, maybe hygienically challenged individuals
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #25

Are campgrounds new low cost housing?

NAS Oceana and the last year when we drove through the Little Creek ( both in Va Beach, VA) military campground, it looked horrible too. Both used to be very nice places to stop.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
I have been living in my RV park for 12 years next month of course I did not plan it that way. I keep my site uncluttered...
You don't have to justify yourself to anyone.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
They should just go and stay in a mobile home park if that is the way they want to live, as mobile home parks are built/designed for that type of living arrangement.
They should, eh? They should live to suit your needs rather than their own, eh?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #28

I noticed lots of workers and long term people when I started fulltiming in 2000. There were many at dmafb and Nellis afb. There are more people using Rv parks than ever with no new parks being built. Mobile homes have gotten so big and expensive it's not really not a low cost housing option anymore so most are living in RV's. In the forties private people built many of the Rv parks we use today. Soon corporations will see profit in rv parks and will build huge ones that will be nice but expensive. Californians will block anything having to do with RV's.
Tiny house movement is the new tin can tourists.

Tags
campground