Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #29

Camp grounds or low income housing

If you are going around the country you will notice how our country seems to be changing. I think its partly because of the new gig economy where people are hired to a specific task and then let go when the task is done. If you are working on a contract basis your are one. To remain competitive in this global economy employers are turning to this type of labor and avoiding the costs of fringe benefits like health Insurance and SSI. I had one employer tell me that the less employees you have the less chances you have of getting sued for a variety of HR related issues. I also think the shrinking middle class has to go some where. They aren't moving to the Hamptons. When you see school buses picking up kids from the campground you are at, that is what you are witnessing, the shrinking middle class. Seeing these changes in our country has made me a more informed voter.

D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #30

One of the most interesting couples I have ever met lived in a "cabin" (longterm) in a KOA I camped in a couple of years ago. Their life-story explained their residency there. But regardless, the actual length of time they stayed there was NOT what determined whether it was a nice experience to meet them or not.

I stayed in nice State Park in Alabama that had a huge parking lot FULL of RV's adjacent to the entrance. I asked the kind folks that worked there what those RV's were? They explained that many folks paid to leave (position) their RV's there during the time they were away, rather than tow them home. For a fee, the state would move\store their RV there and then reposition it to a camping spot when the owners made reservations to visit. I thought it was a clever business idea that suited all parties.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't automatically object or approve of who I am camping next to based on how long they have been there. Whether it is just 1 day or 12 months, the determining factor(s) are much more likely to how they act as human beings.

I've been fortunate to travel the world. And as magnificent as the big green ball is to just LOOK at, it would have been far less of an enriched experience if it were not for all the crazy folks I have been blessed to have met. You just never know.

We are an amazing species!

Old 07-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #31

When you or any other run into this blast them on trip advisor.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:51 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I am guilty

I accepted a new job back in early 2011. As part of the employment agreement the company agreed to pay 3 months living expense. I could have stayed in a hotel but instead opted to take my motorhome and live in it. I am far more comfortable in my coach then a motorhome, sleeping in my own bed etc.

Guess what I stayed in the campground from late March till September. My wife didn't come with me initially but joined me in July. She became best friends with the owners and enjoyed staying there.

Each person that stays in a campground long term has their own reason's and stories as to why they opt to do that.

I don't mind if the parties keep their places clean and uncluttered.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I guess I am guilty

I accepted a new job back in early 2011. As part of the employment agreement the company agreed to pay 3 months living expense. I could have stayed in a hotel but instead opted to take my motorhome and live in it. I am far more comfortable in my coach then a motorhome, sleeping in my own bed etc.

Guess what I stayed in the campground from late March till September. My wife didn't come with me initially but joined me in July. She became best friends with the owners and enjoyed staying there.

Each person that stays in a campground long term has their own reason's and stories as to why they opt to do that.

I don't mind if the parties keep their places clean and uncluttered.
I am with Jac. We lease a lot in an RV resort. Last year there were 6 contract nurses, 1 doctor, and 2 physio therapists staying in the resort. Their contracts run from 3 - 6 months. Our neighbor was a physio and her family. Very nice people. He was a paramedic who was taking his turn to home school their 2 children.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #34

We just completed an 8000 mile trip mostly from North/South Dakota west to Vancouver. Many parks had long term occupants who were clearly living where the work was. I applaud them for working and doing whatever it takes to work. They never bothered me. Were gone all day and came home tired. Other than their sites showing full time living, it was not a problem.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I personally appreciate it when a campground Indicates on their website what percent of the park is seasonal or daily ( some show this on a map). What we avoid like the plague are places that are huge with lots of seasonal and staying there is like staying in golf cart demolition derby!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I don't have a problem if the camp ground owner allows long term leasing as long as they uphold their posted rules and standards. When they start looking the other way and standards fall I start looking for someplace else to stay.

I've also have stayed in a few CGs on military bases. Each base Commanded sets the regulations. Most are pretty firm on long term use but some not so much. Of my local military CGs in the Va Beach area it's hit or miss. Langley AFB is probably the worst example about like that the original posting described while Dam Neck is at the other end of the spectrum.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #37

I think the majority of CG'S allow this if it becomes trashy that is management's fault. I believe their idea is to have a year around income.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:41 AM   #38
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Its not the fact that a park has long term or seasonal campers that's the issue, its the fact that many don't exercise or enforce any standards over what takes place on those sites. We had a "permanent" site for about 5 years. The park owners were very particular about what the park looked like (about 50% of the park was permanent). You would not have gotten away with chained up dogs, residential furniture, trash, rowdy behavior, or any of the other negative behaviors mentioned in this thread. It all comes down to ownership/management.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:56 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
When visiting my Marietta, OH or Ona, WV offices I stay in a park in Coolville, OH. At least half the park guests are permanet residents.

All sites are nicely maintained. You would never know if it wasn't for the nice landscaping around their rig's, and the hard piped sewers. It falls to park management to enforce the rules.

One of my favorite places to stay when in the area.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #40

Personally I have no problem with semi-permanent tenants.. AS LONG as they obey the rules like I do... Also, even some smaller parks could put the long term people in one section and the "campers" in another...
We recently stayed at a K** campground in AZ that had a tiny house about 50' away from us. It was at the entrance to the park. Furniture laying around, a bike in the middle of a big cactus patch, dogs running loose. etc... I mean come on,,, it could be a very nice smaller park,, but the owner was a failure... ( it is no longer associatted with that major chain) .... Heck I wouldn't mind buying it,,, I bet we could make a go of it...
I understand people living in a rv. There was a time it was a dream to live in a rv rather than my car... BUT I never trashed my surroundings....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #41

Nothing new about it. Plus there are plenty of bad rv's on the road as well as in parks. Go stay at a motor coach resort.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
My favorite T shirt..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MesswithMe.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	134297  

Tags
campground