Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Are reservations needed out west?

We are going from pennsylvania to Arizona and Utah to visit as many parks and site's as the 1 months time will permit, My question this will be in the month of september and we would be getting out there around the week just after labor day weekend. I am guessing school is back in session, last big weekend of the year has passed, I believe the first stop when we get there will be trailer village inside the park for a couple of days and then no plans of yet, just start moving about I guess. I would like to use the coach as a central location and take the jeep out for the day and move the Coach as needed is mt idea for now. I am just not sure how to put this together so I can say I need to setup camp here for a certain time then move and setup again, site see, and move again. Could you give me idea's on how you did your trip to these two states and how you did it and what you would of done differant. Thank You..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #2

I am a Westerner and the short answer is yes...that is if you want the spot you want. I have good luck going to new State Campgrounds in Arizona, Utah and Nevada when I arrive Monday, or Tuesday, but in the National Parks I always try to reserve a site. There are beautiful places like Pine Valley, UT that if you don't have a reservation, don't go...in my experience.

Many places like the Valley of Fire, NV we are going to visit next week do not accept reservations. Any place in California will be busy during the travel season, and reservations are suggested...again in my experience.

I am planning a trip through Oregon in June and I am making reservations at all of our destinations...the only thing I don't reserve are stop-overs during our travels...we reserve the day before we arrive in those instances. Again, for me I reserve whenever possible. Our trip in August to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons is fully reserved already...make em now or get booked out of the site and/or CG you want.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi palehorse89,
I use privately owned CGs for the coach. After Labor Day you should have no problem making a reservation a few days to a week in advance. Stay as long as you want. Your plan to use the coach as a base and the toad for sightseeing is the same as I do.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gary, How are you doing? Can you tell me the names of campgrounds that you used in this area? Thank you
Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We left in May of 2012 and returned home Sept. 2012, 4600+ miles. We entered CA and went directly to Carlsbad, with reservations for Memorial Day at Del Mar Beach. Stayed at Son's house and made reservations again for Del Mar for the 4th of July weekend. That was a hit and miss as I didn't start making the reservations until the last week of May. Called every day, twice a day and they finally had a cancellation.

Other than that, we started right after the 4th and traveled up 101. Stayed at some military CG's and private CG's. Typically we don't know how long we are going to stay until maybe a few days prior to leaving a CG. If it is going to be a longer 3-4 or week stay at our next place we would call ahead and find a CG to stay at. If it was just an overnight we called the day before. We never had problems finding a place to stay. Granted, some we would definitely not want to stay for more than one night. Occasionally we would have to call more than one place but that was unusual a there always seem to be a spot.

After Labor Day we never had a problem getting a spot, just be aware that high profile places may still be booked over weekends, and if you know you are going to stay in one of those sought after places, make reservations to be sure.

Our personally philosophy is that we can put up with anyplace if it is for a day or three because most of the time during the daylight hours we are out sightseeing. The MH is just a place to rest.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote