Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #15

Don't miss Biosphere 2 about 45 minutes north of Tucson. Will also second the Titan Missile Museum, Kartchner Caverns State Park and Chiricahua National Monument. If you are interested in architecture Frank Loyd Wright's Taliesin West is a must see.

Safe Travels.
oldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #16

Great choices put forth by busskipper. Just for clarity, the gooseneck off Hw 89 is called Horseshoe Bend. Don't get it mixed up with the Goosenecks State Park nearby in Utah (although that is awesome also).

And the lower deserts are still quite hot here in September, so I would concentrate on the northern and higher elevation attractions. Except for Kartchner Caverns, which is always cool, but prolly not a good choice for a claustrophobic
Old 08-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #17

Lower Antelope Canyon, just outside Page below. You do have to have some level of agility for the tour, ladders, steep stairways and some narrow passages, and make reservations ahead of time.

We did not do uppers, but I belive that is a Jeep tour.

Yes, Wahweap Campground and Marina on the lake in Page is a very nice campground (of course it is if Busskipper recommends it).....

Jerome and Cottonwood were also mentioned above. I would strongly advise against taking any sort of midsize or larger RV on 89A between Prescott Valley and Jerome; it's pretty much a "tail of the dragon - west" and would be not be an enjoyable drive any sort of "large(er)" vehicle and / or towing a trailer. The mine / ghost town there is worth the few bucks to get in and walk around, but Jerome is simply a day outing. I would also avoid it (and 89A) on weekend as I understand it gets very busy with bikers and sports car folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	216048  
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #18

If you are going to Page, take the boat tour up to the Rainbow Bridge. Powell is a wonderful lake.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
…. Kartchner Caverns, which is always cool, but prolly not a good choice for a claustrophobic
I wouldn't call Kartchner closed in. The lighting is first class and very wide walkways. We gave the tours there. Highly recommended!!

The mine tour in Bisbee could be claustrophobic. You get on a mine car to enter the mine. They issue you a yellow slicker, mine hat with light on top. This is mainly for effect as they're not really needed but it's kind of neat. Once back there they turn off all lights for a minute to let you experience how dark a mine is. It's a great tour given by ex-miners but may not be for everyone.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I wouldn't call Kartchner closed in. The lighting is first class and very wide walkways. We gave the tours there. Highly recommended!!. . . .
That's pretty cool you gave tours there! Was that a workkamp type of deal?

I was just thinking that a claustrophobe would not want to venture into ANY type of cave.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #21

Desert Museum and Old Tucson. Boyce Thompson Arboretum. Tortilla Flats, Goldfield Ghost town. Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. Painted Rock Petroglyph outside of Gila Bend near Dateland.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
As others have mentioned Biosphere 2 and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in the Tucson area are great places to visit. Regarding Kartchner Caverns - it's recommended you reserve tour tickets in advance so take a look at the web site for those details

We've also been through the Titan Missile Museum a couple of times as well as PIMA Air & Space Museum. The Boneyard tour at PIMA was quite interesting. If you are interested in that tour make sure and check the web site and verify you have the proper identification as the tour is on Davis-Monthan AFB.

Also, Kitt Peak National Observatory is about an hour southwest of Tucson and a fun day trip.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
One other item in the Tucson area that I should have included in my previous reply - the University of Arizona has tours of their telescope mirror lab where they make some of the largest mirrors in the world:

https://mirrorlab.arizona.edu/content/tours-tickets
Old 08-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #24

Sedona, cant recall the parks name but there is one right next to down town.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #25

If your heading through Flagstaff, I really liked Prescott, which is a bit off I40 between Kingman and Flagstaff. But its a really nice little town. Has the oldest still operating Saloon, good food too.
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
That's pretty cool you gave tours there! Was that a workkamp type of deal?

I was just thinking that a claustrophobe would not want to venture into ANY type of cave.
Not workkamping…. we were staying at the nearby Escapees park and just drove over to give the tours as part as the AZ State Parks volunteer program.

On second thought, I guess you're correct in thinking that ANY cave could be a problem for those that are claustrophobic.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #27

Tucson’s Reid Park Zoo is worth a visit. If you go, say hi to the Gibbon monkey...his name is Billy.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are many suggestion so far that are great. I'd like to add spending some time in Williams especially at night. This small town really really lights up.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona