Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
Assateague Island National Park Camping

I saw Assatague Island mentioned in another thread and looked into it. We had a few days to play with on the trip back to MA from Fort Wilderness at Disney this August so I looked online and was able to score what looks to be the last site available on the days we'd be passing through. Unfortunately, I was only able to get a site on the Bay side rather than the Ocean side for two nights.

We've never been there before and wondering if anyone has any input on the difference from bay vs ocean sides and how far from the ocean beach it is for walking. Any and all comments and tips about camping there will be welcome. We are in the National park side, not the state park in a non-electric site. Since you can't run generator at night I am hoping the sea breeze and the Maxxair fan will keep us cool enough at night. We are staying the second week of August.

Any input on the current state of the Chesapeake bay bridge in an RV or a better route is appreciated as well. Thanks!
Maligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It is a nice walk from the bay side to the Ocean little over 1/2 mile) but it is bike able, depending which loop you are in. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel is a nice trip. There is a restaurant and pier for viewing on the Virginia side. We stop there all the time.

It is a tight turn, so slow up coming out of the second tunnel. Propane will need to be tuned off.

alternative is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. There depending on the time of day you have to deal the the treacherous Washington, Virginia and Baltimore Metro traffic.

I would do the tunnel, especially if it is your first time.

Maryland State park is a alternative, All sites are on the Ocean side with Nice bath houses.

Either one.... Bring your Bug Spray!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

We stayed in the Bay Side and walking to the ocean beach was easy.

If I recall correctly, the showers are cold water only.

We got a kick out of waking up with horses grazing out our windows.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #4

Hi neighbor;, from RI. We stayed ocean side in Assateague NP, 3 years ago. We had a gorgeous site with a beautiful view of the dunes and open beach beyond that. On day 2 we asked to be moved to the bay side because the wind was gusting so hard, I thought our 32' RV would be blown over! Tenters were having a difficult time. Of course the month was May, and I don't know how the wind is in summer. Bay side, in my opinion, is not as nice as ocean side BUT you will still have nice views and pleasant surroundings. Catch the movie at the visitor center if you have time. In May, we saw plenty of ponies. The walk to the ocean isn't bad either,
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

We were on the bay side in May and enjoyed the solitude. The ocean side was a bit more populated and windy. Loved waking up and ponies in the campground.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, national