Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Assateague Island Nationl Park

We will be going to the National park C-Bay section this week. Since this is our first venture dry camping with the MH, and being at this campground, is there a place I can pull the bus to fill water tanks, or just fill before I leave.

Is there must see's in the area, I am planning on bringing kayak if possible.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated...generator use etc.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Island Camping

The only thing I remember about camping on Assateaquhe Island is that PLENTY OF BUG SPRAY with you. Believe me , they are BIG and mean.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #3

Assateague Island is one of my favorites. It was the first place we dry camped with this coach having been there many time in our old Winnie Minnie. There is a dump station that's fairly easy to get to in a coach and good water available for fillup just past the dump. There are no on-site hookups and not even any electricity in parts of the campground.

The day use area is a great beach and seldom crowded even on summer weekends. We used to overnight inland at a commercial CG and drive the Winnie out to the park and stay all day.
The Utzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks, I was worried about the water, and whether or not I should fill at home, or just wait till I get there.

2 Boys & My Pups
Old 06-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMoose "Lenny" View Post
Thanks, I was worried about the water, and whether or not I should fill at home, or just wait till I get there.
Oh thanks..heavy duty bug spray packed .!

2 Boys & My Pups
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #6

Make absolutely sure you get the ultra heavy duty bug spray. Just returned from a visit & the mosquitos were unbearable. Based on that I would say "not recommended".
Jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spent last week in oceanside loop 1.Make sure you get the Deep Woods 'OFF',with at least 25% DEET !!!The skeeters laugh at anything less.If you are bay side kayaking,think about one of those "bee keeper hats with the netting.
There are two dump stations,one on the ocean side loop road and one coming out of the bay side road,both have potable water.
Just be glad the 'GREEN HEADS' haven't started yet!!!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Spent last week in oceanside loop 1.Make sure you get the Deep Woods 'OFF',with at least 25% DEET !!!The skeeters laugh at anything less.If you are bay side kayaking,think about one of those "bee keeper hats with the netting.
There are two dump stations,one on the ocean side loop road and one coming out of the bay side road,both have potable water.
Just be glad the 'GREEN HEADS' haven't started yet!!!
Thanks...I guess I will fill up when I arrive. Greenheads????

2 Boys & My Pups
Old 06-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
"Green" as in energy & "ecologically efficient"...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We love that area. Nice place to go in the winter. Cold but the bugs have coats on so move slower. You need to go there once.. But bites are too bad to go the second time. Good luck. Hope for high winds. Less bites.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Green head flys,like in New Jersey 'state bird'.Blood suckers about an inch in length with bite,Made me give up on the south Jersey shore,and move the boat over to the Chesapeake bay.
In Assateague just remember that there are ways to co-exist with the critters.Lots of bug juice,DEET works,Campfires, the smoke can make them back-off.Long sleeves and pants.
I notice in your name,you have a Jeep?That could be your ticket.I think you can buy a pass to take your Jeep out on the beach,all the way down to the Virginia state line at least.Just an occasional fisherman,and hardly any bugs at all on the beach!(almost always windy)Even the ponies go to the beach for relief.
You'll have fun,just go with it.Next time go later in the season,late August,September and early October can be really nice.

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #12

If you are going to put up anything that requires stakes, ie. a screen house etc, bring long, 12" or longer, stakes and extra guy lines,it can get windy there quick and you will learn to appreciate the wind a good ocean breeze helps to keep the bugs grounded ;<)

We have been camping there since the 70's and just got home from 2 weeks there

One other bit of advice between dusk and and dawn try to you be in you unit,or on the beach. that is the worst time for bugs

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
hanks everyone. We just packed up and leave for home tomorrow. We had a wonderfull time, the bugs were bad, I have never seen mosquitos like that before, but with spraying they pretty much left you alone. The bay sites were wet with standing water which did not help, but bathrooms were clean, and we did well, running our generator at night.

2 Boys & My Pups
Old 07-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #14

Forget the bug spray. Take a shotgun.
Houkie is offline   Reply With Quote