Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Atlanta area camping for June wedding.

Wife and I are attending a mid June wedding in Atlanta and would like to find a camp location outside of the 285 loop but as close to Callenwolde Mansion on Briarcliff (wedding site) as possible. We'll be coming from the north down I 75 in a class a with toad. I've looked at Atlanta-Marietta RV Resort but the reviews aren't that good. Would it be a rough drive to go around 285 to the Stone Mountain area on a Thursday afternoon? Atlanta traffic scares me! Appreciate any tips/insight.
CincyBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I stayed at Stone Mountain Park Campground Stone Mountain Park - Atlanta Camping which is about 15 miles away (or 25 minutes) from your wedding location. Nice park, high reviews and reasonable rates. Checking I found one a little bit closer just outside the Stone Mountain Park called Ghost Hill Campground Ghost Hill Campground (14 miles or 23 minutes) haven't stayed there but looks OK.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I don't remember how far north of Atlanta but there are a couple of Corps of Engineers parks that are pretty nice. You might consider one of those if close enough.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi CincyBuckeye,
I have been working around ATL.for 30yrs. until we retired 2yrs.ago and all I can say is if you are anywhere around 285 on a Thursday or Friday afternoon you will be in heavy traffic.The best time if there is one would be after lunch.I worked right off I 285 and it gets bad with a lot of backups. Go Slow and you will be fine and if you can get in one lane and stay there you will be fine.Good Luck and Safe Travels.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:36 AM   #5

Stone Mountain is as close as you are going to get to your wedding site, and probably y the best place to camp in Atlanta from what I have heard. We've been here for 20 years, but only RVing the last year so we have not yet checked out the campground there.

We are actually going to go by Stone Mtn in next few weeks to check out the campground, as we have wanted to have some friends over to see our MH, and just have not found anyplace else to do it. We recently we met a couple origin lying from here that stay there often in thier 45' Class A and think it is great.....

Trying to get downtown to your wedding site from the CGs and state parks north of town could be a bit of a hassle. And, many of state parks are very tight for larger units (there is a state park a mile from where we store our coach, and there are only 1 or 2 sites that I would dare to try to put our 33'er in.....)

As for driving around town on 285, no it's not fun in a MH, but as long as you do it outisde of normal rush hours, you'll be fine.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

Agree - Stone Mountain will be your closest (14 miles).

We considered Stone Mountain last year, but stayed at Fort Yargo State Park, which is about 30 miles farther away from your wedding site, but also very nice!

We are considering Lake Lanier and Stone Mountain along with Yargo for a few days this summer.

Betr2Trvl: If you have friends come to visit, they will likely have to pay an admission fee to get into the park. You may want to check that out.

CincyBuckeye: We're from Cincinnati originally and stayed 9 days at Winton Woods last summer. That's an outstanding park! Will stop there again this summer.
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

We have kids in the Atlanta area and have stayed at several campgrounds there. Stone Mountain is the best, but there is a daily entrance fee for your guests. You pay it one time to get into the campground but your pass is good for the length of your stay. We have also stayed at Victoria Landing COE campground and like it, but it is a hike into town. Same goes for the Alatoona Landing campground. We like them all, but SM will be closer for you.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Appreciate all the feedback! Looks like it will be Stone Mountain for us.
CincyBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I don't remember how far north of Atlanta but there are a couple of Corps of Engineers parks that are pretty nice. You might consider one of those if close enough.

I stayed here last june. Nice place. huge spots, a lot are lake side and shaded ( important near atl in june.) I really liked the place.

Getting into atl from anywhere outside the loop can be an issue.........just time it right, easy, morning they are heading inbound, afternoon outbound, do not do that and it is fine. i think this place would be a 30 or so min drive on off peak times.

gl

Facility Details - BALD RIDGE CREEK, GA - Recreation.gov
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stone mountain is great. No problem with traffic just steady and slow, I stay in the next to far right lane. Let em all pass. No worries.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #11

We stayed at state park at Carrolton. It's west of Atlanta.
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping