Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Atlanta Georgia

We are picking up m/h we just bought in Augusta Ga feb the 19th A 40' monaco.We have never had one ,so we want to stay some were on the west side of atlanta for several nights.(we will go through Atlanta at 2AM)to get used to things.
Does any one know of a rv park with pull through spaces on the west side we could at. We will stay at a walmart near camp ground tell the office opens
Thanks for any advice.tagcat

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nothing real close on the west side but there are a couple of places close to the state line in Alabama.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Excellent choice of times. Straight through on I-20 just watch the speed on the area between the 75/85 Connector and I-285. Lot of quick little curves that you cannot see what is ahead because of the median wall. There are several truck stops between Atlanta and the Alabama state line, or the Welcome Station as you go into Alabama allows overniting
Old 02-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
We are picking up m/h we just bought in Augusta Ga feb the 19th A 40' monaco.We have never had one ,so we want to stay some were on the west side of atlanta for several nights.(we will go through Atlanta at 2AM)to get used to things. Does any one know of a rv park with pull through spaces on the west side we could at. We will stay at a walmart near camp ground tell the office opens Thanks for any advice.tagcat
There is a new park (I think it's been open about a year) owned by Carroll County. It doesn't show up on my iphone map but If memory serves me, it is about 5 miles south of I20 on HWY 113. We haven't camped there but drove through once in the car and it looked really nice.
http://carrollcountygaparks.com/node/8.

A 256 acre tract along the Little Tallapoosa River includes paved and natural trails for hiking and equestrian use, tent and RV camping, a comfort station and a 7 acre open meadow.

Amenities
256.25 acres
7 miles of natural trails
2.5 miles of paved trails
7 acre open meadow for events, disc golf, etc.
32 tent/pop-up campsites with 120 electric hookup
23 RV campsites with water, sewer and power hookups
All sites have picnic table and fire ring with grill
Equestrian parking
Comfort station with bathroom, showers, washer and dryer
Small pond for fishing
17 Geocaches

Rates

Contact Information
Little Tallapoosa Park
1930 Highway 113 N
Carrollton, GA 30116
Phone: 770.214.3580
ltpinfo@carrollcountyga.com
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
bjo

I would be more concerned about the weather about right now here in Atlanta
Were expecting real bad weather Snow/freezing Ice. coming in Monday night
thru wed. I live in here in Ga I'm staying off the roads. but if your comeing
watch the weather.
Good luck
BJO

I
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #6

West Georgia Campground

About the only campground between Atlanta and the Alabama state line is the Yogi Bear Jellystone campground. It is at exit 9, Bremen exit. If you are a Good Sam member or a Passport America member you can get the info in their directory. Passport America or Good Sam discount. They have 62 pull thru sites. The only other campground between Atlanta and Birmingham that accommodate a MH is the Kudzu Campground near the Talladega Speedway and requires reservations but can accommodate any size MH. Also has Passport America discount. Check with the dealer where you are picking up the MH and they should be able to give you directions.
Good luck, I hope the weather will agree with your travels. This time of year it can be iffy.
I almost forgot. You said you will be coming through Atlanta in the wee hours of the morning. There is a Pilot Truck Stop at Exit 19 and a Loves Truck Stop, exit 9, the same exit as the campground. And Walmart Supercenters at Douglasville, exit 34 and Bremen, Exit 11.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #7

Back to Arkansas

Are you planning to take US78/I-22 from Birmingham to Memphis. It is a couple hundred miles of Interstate highway. I've driven it a number of times and doesn't have as much heavy truck travel. It isn't quite complete to I-59 in Birmingham. It has been a couple years since I traveled that route. It lacks about 5 miles of being complete, mainly the interchange at I-59. Scheduled to be open around September 2014.

To get on US78/I-22 in Birmingham go north on I-59 to Exit 264 (41st Ave). Go west on 41st Ave about a mile to Coalburg Road and go north about 5 miles and you can get on US78/I-22 west from there. It should be marked. Get a good map. The Alabama state map sucks.

If you take it just check your fuel supply as not very many interchanges are developed yet in Alabama. Once you get into Mississippi it shouldn't be a problem. The bad part of this route is when you cross into Tennessee. The divided four lane ends just as you get to Memphis and your are dumped off onto city streets and traffic lights.

Rather than go straight into Memphis you may want to get off of US78 at exit 2 in Mississippi and take Route 302 west to I-55 and then North on into Memphis to miss the city traffic (fewer traffic lights). And then from I-55 north to I-40 west and home.

I presume the total length of I-22 will be quite a while away for now. Plans are for it to run diagonally across Georgia to join I-16 at Macon, GA.
When that happens it will be a very heavily traveled route because of the cargo coming out of the Port of Savannah. It will take a lot of travel time off of the truckers headed to the Midwest.