Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

August 21, 2017 Solar Eclipse Event

Starting to make plans for this celestial event which has not happened in the US mainland for 40 years. A total eclipse occurs casting darkness along a 200 mile wide path across the US. The eclipse viewing starts near Portland OR and exits near Columbia, SC including RV hotspots Yosemite and Great Smokey Mountains in the path. Any one starting to make plans to view and where? I'm sure as the date approaches, top CG's will be harder to find.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

I am now !!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #3

Hadn't heard about this.
Live 2 hours north of Portland.
I see a road trip to Stonehenge allong the Columbia river in my future!!
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #4

Im thinking GSM or SC for this.
gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I've been watching this for awhile. Aside from general location, I think the most important thing to think about is weather. For example, in Wyoming the total eclipse line passes near Grand Teton national park, but also Casper, WY. For a vacation, its hands down Grand Teton, but if you want a statistically better chance of a clear sky, its Casper. In fact, the Astronomical League have chosen their 2017 convention in Casper that day. The League also talk about the ease of moving location in case of bad weather without traffic concern.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
I've been watching this for awhile. Aside from general location, I think the most important thing to think about is weather. For example, in Wyoming the total eclipse line passes near Grand Teton national park, but also Casper, WY. For a vacation, its hands down Grand Teton, but if you want a statistically better chance of a clear sky, its Casper. In fact, the Astronomical League have chosen their 2017 convention in Casper that day. The League also talk about the ease of moving location in case of bad weather without traffic concern.

You are correct. My location makes the Great Smokies on my list however, the Smokies are a 50/50 shot for a clear day. The best chances for a clear day ( if I recall) was in Missouri. Yosemite would be really nice, but I would think very hard to get into. South Carolina beaches may be good as well.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #7

NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2017 Aug 21

Here is a site showing the path of the eclipse, greatest duration and greatest eclipse.. Looks like a spot in the Shawnee National Forest, IL would be a prime spot to see the show !!

Pretty cool !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2017 Aug 21

Here is a site showing the path of the eclipse, greatest duration and greatest eclipse.. Looks like a spot in the Shawnee National Forest, IL would be a prime spot to see the show !!

Pretty cool !!

May be Ill check into that area as well.
gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Snake View Post
You are correct. My location makes the Great Smokies on my list however, the Smokies are a 50/50 shot for a clear day. The best chances for a clear day ( if I recall) was in Missouri. Yosemite would be really nice, but I would think very hard to get into. South Carolina beaches may be good as well.
There are loads of websites about the eclipse, and particularly its path and duration. This page gives an interesting image showing the statistical chance of afternoon cloud cover in August. http://www.astroadventures.net/2017/...ud-Map-Aug.png

There are other sites that drill down to specific locations, such as this one: Best places to view — Total solar eclipse of Aug 21, 2017, the Great American Eclipse
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #10

Another warning here: I have been through three total eclipses and a dozen partial ones. If you study the path of the eclipse, only a small part of it is actually total (the maximum duration of total is less than three minutes). You might wonder why 99% coverage partial is not good enough, but believe me it makes all the difference in the world. If you are serious about experiencing the eclipse, make sure you are going to be in the zone of totality.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I am now !!!

X2!!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:15 AM   #12

Fortunately the Eclipse goes right over my son's house in Missouri. Here come grandma and grandpa!
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Hopefully fuel will still be in the $2.00 range. We're going on a road trip .
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
Hopefully fuel will still be in the $2.00 range. We're going on a road trip .
X2
I've already but the grandkids on alert. On Grandpa's birthday Aug 21 in 2017, we're going on road trip to Athens Tn.

We'll also do whitewater rafting and camp at an old copper mine in the area. Best news is it's only a 1 tank trip.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, vent