Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #1

Austin and San Marcos

3days in austin for conference in April at Hyatt regency. I see pecan grove RV park is a few blocks away. Any experiences here?
Also 3 days prior in San Marcos area for pleasure. Suggestions on nice place there?
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
3days in austin for conference in April at Hyatt regency. I see pecan grove RV park is a few blocks away. Any experiences here?
Also 3 days prior in San Marcos area for pleasure. Suggestions on nice place there?
Welcome to our great city. April is a perfect time to be here. I've never stayed at Pecan Grove for obvious reasons, but I have been walking (or jogging) past it, going to my favorite restaurants for the last 35 years. If you want to enjoy the heartbeat of Austin, there's is no place like it. You have immediate access to about all the top spots and restaurants in the city, mostly within walking or easy bicycle distance. It's definitely within walking distance of the Hyatt. Check out the reviews on RVPark Reviews. The location is primo. I would make reservations as early as possible.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have been in the area for Med reasons - moved around a few time and then found Pecan Park Riverside in San Marcos - Love it here and its a short easy drive to Austin. {Except at rush hour} Great staff and very well kept grounds.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #4

Thanks y'all. Was not able to get in at pecanpark Austin. Only 2 nights available and I needed 3. Booked austinlone star for those 3 nights and pine park riverside in San Marcos for the 3 previous nights. Looking forward to the trip.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

I stay at lone star all the time no problems there
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Good to hear. Heading out tomorrow. Will be in San Marcos Monday morning.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

Got here one day early. Rained most of the way. David was very gracious in accommodating our late (8:30) arrival.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Welcome to our great city. April is a perfect time to be here. I've never stayed at Pecan Grove for obvious reasons, but I have been walking (or jogging) past it, going to my favorite restaurants for the last 35 years. If you want to enjoy the heartbeat of Austin, there's is no place like it. You have immediate access to about all the top spots and restaurants in the city, mostly within walking or easy bicycle distance. It's definitely within walking distance of the Hyatt. Check out the reviews on RVPark Reviews. The location is primo. I would make reservations as early as possible.
Thanks for the input. I am finishing up a contract in Houston and was wondering what all the hub-bub was about.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Same here. Spent a week and enjoyed the park. Traffic is another answer.

There is no easy way in and out of that park because of I-35. OK...out is not so bad going out the gate onto the frontage road but you can only make a right turn out of it. Getting back in means you have to drive south on I-35S or the south bound frontage road for a tad over a mile to get turned around. That was the worse part of it.

Whether you are approaching from the North or South you will want to exit at the Slaughter LN exit south of the park. If you south bound and exit at Slaughter LN but miss the turn onto it, you can continue south on the frontage road to the next crossing point but use some caution. The first bridge turn around over I-35 can be surprisingly tight and our 43' MH and toad got through it but watch your toad and keep as wide as possible otherwise wait for the next major road to get turned around. a couple miles further down.

Also...because of how I-35 is labeled if you use a GPS and head north to downtown the GPS may be telling you to drive I-35 SOUTH! Actually, the confusion is that on the GPS (At least all of our Garmin units) seem to interpret roads that are labeled "S IH 35 Frontage Road" as I-35 South. We KNEW we were heading north and that confused us. It took us a couple days to figure out why it was doing it and that made it easier to ignore the voice in the box.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
Thanks y'all. Was not able to get in at pecanpark Austin. Only 2 nights available and I needed 3. Booked austinlone star for those 3 nights and pine park riverside in San Marcos for the 3 previous nights. Looking forward to the trip.
While in the area last fall we wanted to use Pecan Park but they wouldn't let us bring our German Shepherd Dogs. Same for Hilltop near San Marcos.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #11

McKinney Falls State Park is a really great option to stay close in. We just moved out of Austin and used McKinney Falls as a base during closing and moving.

Looking for suggestions for San Marcos with three dogs for sons graduation.
cullergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #12

Sky_boss. Thanks for arrival advice. Drove right to the gate after taking slaughter lane exit. Set up now for 3 days. 😁
Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Cool deal, stayed there 7 months a few years back and a night recently. Walk to grocery, restaurants, etc.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
We just spent a few nights at Oak Forest, very nice park and close to town without the traffic issues. Large enough to get the rig and trailer around. Also, easy access to COTA for MotoGP racing. We will book again there next year for the GP.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote