Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Austin Lone Star RV Resort or Austin Oak Forest RV Park??

My wife and I will be in Austin, TX for a week in June. Normally we seek RV parks for their close proximity to nature, but this time we want to stay close to the city so we can do "city-stuff."

We have narrowed our choice of where to stay to two places--the Austin Lone Star RV Resort and Oak Forest RV Park. The Lone Star place is one of those "Carefree living" places that sells memberships, which we aren't interested in, but we think that anybody with money that's green can also stay there. Assuming that's correct...

I'm curious to hear from people who have stayed at either of these places about likes/dislikes. I'd be particularly tickled if someone has been to both places and can make a recommendation!

Thanks!
Rob
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

Why don't you check here for reviews: Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews
Old 05-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have stayed at Austin Lone Star RV Resort, I would not call it a typical Carefree Resort as I have stayed at others. Yes, as long as they have space you can stay. If you are a light sleeper I would recommend requesting one of the sites in the rear, this park is very deep, but the front is right on the outer road of I-35. I love the location to downtown Austin and you shouldn't have any issues maneuvering in your 40', I have stayed there with both a 40' and a 42'.

The other park I have not stayed at. I believe it is closer to downtown but much smaller? Don't take my word for it, but I would investigate.

Couple of recommendations is plan on leaving before morning or after morning rush hour, very congested getting out of the park especially in the motorhome/toad combination.

If I wanted to stay in Austin again and needed to be near downtown, I would definitely stay at Lone Star again.

Hopefully the moderator moves your posts to Locations and Information as I think you may get valuable feedback to your question.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have lived here for 19 years and never heard of either of those two places you mentioned. Had to google both on a map to find them.

The Austin Lone Star is located in one of the worst areas of Austin next to one of the busiest freeways in the entire US. Would pass if there were other options.

The Oak Forest is located in a much better location as far as not being in the hood, but have never been there. Do a lot of Dove Hunting in that area around all the gravel pits out that way.

You might try this place, Sunsetrvresort. I have never stayed there or even been on the property, but I do know the owner and he is a pretty good guy. It is close to a lot of stuff, and there is no hood out on this side of town.

Good Luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #5

Statgeek: We go to Austin often because our daughter and GS are there. I have stayed at BOTH of the CG you asked about. It is "no contest" in my opinion. Oak Forest on Decker Lane is BY FAR the better choice.

When I made reservations there for next week, I learned they no longer accept PA and the nightly charge is now $45.00 (before discounts), but there is no way I'd go back to Lone Star on I-35, even if it was FREE.

The sites at Oak Forest are long and level concrete, full HU including cable TV. They have a nice pool and hot spa, and a fenced area for dog walk just a short walk from the RV sites. They also have full-time residents, but they are in a separate section from the regular "short term" sites near the front office and pool.

I highly recommend Oak Forest based on many, many nights there over the last 5 years. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Thanks for the quick feedback folks. Reserved at oak forest...
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #7

I haven't stayed at the other but I've been to lone star dozens of times sister full timed there about 5 years ago new management came in much better I still stay there sister has moved just south of there chech out Whembly and eat at Salt Lick in Dripping Springs
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I've stayed at Lone Star - nothing special. But doable. I'm going to try Oak forest next time we go to Austin.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We stayed at Oak Forest 3 times we love that place Clean and friendly Texas style we stay there every time we are in Austin .
George
2013 Monaco Monarch 33 SDF
toad 2002 Saturn LW 200 pushing 180.00 miles still drives like a champ
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #10

We stayed at Oak Forest in November. would definitely stay again. Level site, good dog walk areas, plus play areas. Very nice people in the office. Easy route to get downtown.
Bobcat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #11

Although not on your list Pecan Grove is a 5 minute walk from downtown. We stay there and will bike to downtown or around the parks that surround it. It's much, MUCH closer to downtown than those other parks.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #12

Thanks for the info.....
hoping to have a trip to Austin the last week of May for High School Softball state champion games.........
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Although not on your list Pecan Grove is a 5 minute walk from downtown. We stay there and will bike to downtown or around the parks that surround it. It's much, MUCH closer to downtown than those other parks.
I have lived in austin for 35 years. I have never been in a position to look for an RV park here. All I can say is that this park is in the heart of the heartbeat of Austin. Barton Springs Pool, Zilker Park, Barton Springs restaurants, Lady Bird Lake hike and bike trail. Congress St bridge bat migration, State Capitol, Bob Bullock Texas State Museum, Warehouse district, 6th Street. If I wanted to experience the real essence of Austin, that is where I would stay.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:14 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post

We have stayed there - yes much closer and yes- get the vibe of Austin (keep Austin Weird). IMO it is more of a trailer park than a RV park. Big rigs or 5th wheels may find it challenging getting in and out. Low tree limbs, too. No cement - all dirt. Wiring in our location was very loose and the box was dangling. But- one persons stone is another's diamond.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote