Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Really cold everywhere right now EXCEPT Quartzsite, it seems... 84 degrees today, and no wind

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Really cold everywhere right now EXCEPT Quartzsite, it seems... 84 degrees today, and no wind
Don't rub it in! Haha. I'm in Horizon City, TX, where it will be in the 20s tonight, and I ain't got no hookups! Brrr! Fortunately I've got a little catalytic heater to take the edge off the chill, but you can bet I'll be wearing all the clothing I own to bed tonight! LOL.

I was in Big Bend for a couple days. I left yesterday because of the cold. I just wrote a travel report including my fabulous photography (he said immodestly. Ha!) Find it here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	83025  

Old 01-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning, RussOnTheRoad.
I didn't See what your traveling in but no furnace? Brr is right...
JS,Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Morning, RussOnTheRoad.
I didn't See what your traveling in but no furnace? Brr is right...
JS,Tim
I have a furnace, but can't run it for long without running down my coach batteries when I have no hookups or when running the generator isn't allowed such as in Big Bend. It wastes so much propane too, venting maybe half the heat outside. I also have a catalytic heater, but I don't like to use it when I'm sleeping. I suppose if it got down into the 20s I would, but I'm quite comfortable under my comforter and sleeping bag in the thirties. It was 39 in my coach today when I got out of bed! I was quite comfy while sleeping though.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Gila cliff dwellings near Silver City NM. Biosphere 2 near Oracle Az.

Russell
The Bioshpere sounded very interesting, but alas I wasn't able to make this go 'round. I landed in Quartzsite yesterdasy after a 3 week journey to get here and posted a report about the trip from Austin to here on my blog if you're interested.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Hi Russ. I've done the Austin to Quartzsite trip a couple times now, headed to Lake Havasu. I'm a native Texan and original from West Texas. In West Texas you are limited but one spectacular place that doesn't get much attention is Sonora Caverns. It's the most intricately decorated cavern I have ever seen. There is supposed to be a decent RV park there but have never stayed there. Another lesser known place is Balmorhea Springs State Park west of Ft Stockton. McDonald's Observatory is about an hour off I-10, near Ft Davis, where Davis Mountain State park is located. Just a few options. I have stayed at Lajits at the Resort Ranch and it is a nice place.
All great suggestions. Thanks again. I'm going to have to check them out when I head east in a month or two. I made it to Quartzsite. The route I followed, places I went are described in my new blog post here, should you care to see it.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	30
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	84009  
Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I'll add a few more for your trip home. The Devil's Sinkhole State Natural Area is near the intersection of US 377 and Texas 41, just outside of Rocksprings, TX (south of Junction and west of Kerrville). It is impressive to say the least. I haven't been there since it became a SNA, but I assume they have placed handrails and safety features around it. I was there as a young adult before the state acquired it. It was just an open hole in the middle of nowhere with nothing to stop you from walking right into it. My dad lived in Rocksprings and was friends with the rancher.

If you are there after mid March, there is the Frio Bat Cave and Garner State Park just a few miles south on US 83 near Concan, TX. The bat flight at dusk is a sight to be seen. There are at least 4 kinds of raptors dive bombing the clouds of bats as they exit the cave.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I'll add a few more for your trip home. The Devil's Sinkhole State Natural Area is near the intersection of US 377 and Texas 41, just outside of Rocksprings, TX (south of Junction and west of Kerrville). It is impressive to say the least. I haven't been there since it became a SNA, but I assume they have placed handrails and safety features around it. I was there as a young adult before the state acquired it. It was just an open hole in the middle of nowhere with nothing to stop you from walking right into it. My dad lived in Rocksprings and was friends with the rancher.

If you are there after mid March, there is the Frio Bat Cave and Garner State Park just a few miles south on US 83 near Concan, TX. The bat flight at dusk is a sight to be seen. There are at least 4 kinds of raptors dive bombing the clouds of bats as they exit the cave.
Thanks for all that. I've put the info into my Texas file. I won't be passing through there on my way home but I may be passing through there when I turn my RV east in the springtime. I'm in Quartzsite now and expect to spend the next 4 to 6 weeks in the Arizona area before heading east.

Here's a shot I took while in Big Bend. More on my blog (see my signature file below).
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	33
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	84046  

Tags
quartzsite