Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Austin TX Options for Football Games

Hi!

Anyone have suggestions for large Class A rigs in Austin? 39 foot DP, no toad currently. I'll be there for sure starting Oct 27. Can boondock if need be.

The closer to campus, the better!

Thank you!
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #2

Lone Star RV on 35 just south of downtown
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
I'm on their waitlist for that weekend Thank you!
Old 10-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some info shows Sam's / Walmart welcomes RVs overnight, some says no. Any experience with Austin?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #5

X2 On Lone Star. It is a very nice RV park.
I would recommend you make your reservation quickly.
We stayed there for a couple of days last year, when Our Granddaughter's Club Soccer Team was playing in San Marcos at Texas State University.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

Stayed there many times sister full timed there it is a old Koa
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #7

We stayed at Oak Forest last weekend for the ACL. Not a bad park. Plenty of room for your Motorhome and concrete pads that are reasonable level. Lots of permanent tenants but we didn't have a problem. Ten to fifteen minute drive to campus.
jpgrocery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The way the Horns are playing, why risk the traffic in Austin?
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
My, how times have changed. What used to be at the edge of the universe is now considered "just south of downtown."

To the OP--you're not going to get anywhere near the UT campus, even boondocking. Austin is very keen on infill and increasing density. The ideal would be Pecan Grove, but (1) it's pretty much impossible to get a site even when it's not a football weekend, and (2) I wouldn't even think about trying to get my 40-foot moho in there, although people claim to have done it.

Oak Forest is okay, but the neighborhood, and the drive to downtown/UT, is very dispiriting.

Although you don't have a toad--do you know how you'll be getting around? Last I heard, Uber and Lyft still aren't there--they tried a power play against the city, threatening to leave if they didn't get their way, and they lost, and left. You'll need to check into alternative ride share options if that's what you were planning on, although if you're okay with staying at Lone Star, then you probably have all this sorted out.

You might also try Midtown RV Park--it's not great but it does exist; it has a trailer park vibe to me.

One that doesn't get much mention is Royal Palms RV Park. I've never laid eyes on it, but it looks to be way in the back of a mobile home dealer--I've driven by that place tons of times and never knew there was an RV park back there. It's not somewhere I'd seek out but if you're desperate, it might work. But again, getting around without a toad will be challenging.

Out on Lake Travis is La Hacienda. It's very nice, but will definitely be problematic without a toad.

McKinney Falls State Park has RV sites (E/W only), but it's usually booked up on weekends. And it's out kind of in the middle of nowhere. You have to pay a daily per-person entrance fee in addition to the camping fee. The sites are way in from the gate, and it would be a very long trek on foot to get to the gate if you're using ride sharing.

Walmarts in Austin are a no-go. A couple are in unsafe locations (and I'm not a scaredy-cat on that sort of thing), and one is in a location that was heavily fought by the neighborhood, it made a lot of concessions to placate them, and its lot is most definitely not big-rig friendly.

Maybe out in Round Rock would be okay, but you're a long way from campus, and of course Walmart is really only for one night anyway.

Sorry, but a football weekend in Austin is probably a pretty big ask.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #10

Pecan Grove has 2 sites that will handle 45' MH. I work there. Walmart and Sam's on 290 allow RV parking.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe College Station? :-)
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote