Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Autumn Trip to Banff/Lake Louise

Hello One and All,
We are starting to plan our Autumn to Lake Louise and would like some input from those in the know.
Stage 1 is Olympia to Kelowna, BC. We have been there before and already know our route.
Stage 2 is Kelowna to Banff/Lake Louise. This where I need some input. It is about 1300 miles and I do not want to drive anymore than 250 miles a day. So that makes about 5 stops. The third day we will spend 2 nights, just to give me a break, as the DW refuses to drive the MH. We plan on spending a week in the Banff area and then head to Stage 3
Stage 3 is Banff to Brownsville, MN which is another 1350 miles. This is totally uncharted territory and depending on what information/feed back I get we may not make that journey at all.
So there you have it.
Any and all advice/directions/help and donations will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dean
aka The Toads
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Done this trip many times. I find it hard to believe Kelowna to Banff is anywhere near 1300 miles. May want to double check that.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
Hello One and All,
We are starting to plan our Autumn to Lake Louise and would like some input from those in the know.
Stage 1 is Olympia to Kelowna, BC. We have been there before and already know our route.
Stage 2 is Kelowna to Banff/Lake Louise. This where I need some input. It is about 1300 miles and I do not want to drive anymore than 250 miles a day. So that makes about 5 stops. The third day we will spend 2 nights, just to give me a break, as the DW refuses to drive the MH. We plan on spending a week in the Banff area and then head to Stage 3
Stage 3 is Banff to Brownsville, MN which is another 1350 miles. This is totally uncharted territory and depending on what information/feed back I get we may not make that journey at all.
So there you have it.
Any and all advice/directions/help and donations will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dean
aka The Toads
Well, if it were me, (and I can relate to the 250 mile rule) I would take Hwy 97 across the border at Oroville, WA and stay in Osoyoos at the Nk Mip campground. Nice park.
Then I would boogie on up 97 past Kelowna since there are no decent parks there and carry on to Revelestoke, BC. There are a couple of parks , including Canyon Hot Springs just East of Revelstoke. Then it is an easy ride to Banff.
Leaving Banff, heading toward Calgary, you can stay around Cochrane (west of Calgary) or near Okotoks, south of Calgary. If you want a little longer drive, try Lethbridge. The Bridgeview RV Park is nice and from there, head south to Coutts and cross into Montana to Great Falls and follow your nose East. Dicks RV Park in Great Falls is a good place.
Have fun....
Old 05-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Or instead of going up Kelowna way, you could choose to hug the Canada US border going through Osoyoos, Grand Forks, Creston, Cranbrook. The country is beautiful and although the drive is longer, I find it somewhat less hectic at times. You can then head up through Radium Hotsprings and into Banff from that direction. Lots of good choices none of which you will really go wrong with. Spending a day or two at Radium is always a good way to ease the driving cramps out as is Canyon Hot Springs (mentioned in a previous post) before Revelstoke. Both have good RV Parks.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club

Thank you 96 W,
You are absolutely right about the distance from Kelowna to Banff. It is only 260 miles +/-. My mistake.
To the rest of you thank you for all the information. Now back to my Good Sam trip planner and look up some of these CG's.
We have been to Kelowna before and really enjoyed the area. Reminds us of the Sonoma/Napa Valley in California (home). Plus all the golf etc. We did find a good RV park when we were there last (senior moment - can't remember the name) so we will probably go there again.

But I like the idea of going along the border and see new country.
Thanks
Dean
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you are up that way, I would include Jasper. Banff is a nice city, but Jasper is the Canadian Rocky experience...
Old 05-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #7

Bing map website says 307 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Done this trip many times. I find it hard to believe Kelowna to Banff is anywhere near 1300 miles. May want to double check that.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 AM   #8

Keep in mind autumn in Olympia isn't the same as autumn in Banff, nor for that matter Minnesota.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #9

The best trip is to go up to Kamloops, then on to Tete Jeaune Cache via #5 then hi-way 16 to jasper and then the icefields parkway to Banff. From Banff go east to Alberta and then hi-way 22 south, the "Cowboy Trail" through Manning Park and then west on hi-way 3 to wherever you wish or you can go on south to Montana. I may do it again this summer for the 6th time.