Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Average Number of Days Spent in Alaska?

I realize that everyone has different agendas when going to Alaska but how many days did you spend there and the surrounding area? We are planning a trip in 2016 and already have The Milepost and I am ordering Church's guide for Alaska. I am thinking that somewhere between 30 and 60 days would be enough but is that too much time to spend in Alaska. I am already planning on approximately 2 weeks to get to Dawson Creek, BC to start with. And then 3 to 4 weeks for our return probably from somewhere in BC (like Smithers, BC).
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

Your 2015 Milepost will be out-dated by 2 years in 2016. Every Milepost edition is based on surveys and actual experience-the preceding year. Yours is good for planning purposes, but should be verified 2-3 months preceding your trip.

Your timeline sounds good to me. Don't forget there is as much to see and do traversing Canada as there is in Alaska, which may slow down your timeline to Alaska.
Depending on your plans while in AK, you might consider buying the Alaska Travel coupon book. While it is expensive to buy, you will recoup the purchase price using perhaps a half dozen discount coupons for attractions, boat trips, shows, etc.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We spent the summer there in 2012. We met up with friends in three other RVs in Everett WA on June 4 and the four RVs headed North. We spent three weeks driving up the Stuart- Cassiar Hwy (including the side trip to Hyder) while listening for delays. BC and Yukon had experienced a terrible winter and everything was melting at once. The Alaska Hwy west of Watson Lake was washed out for over two weeks, so we took our time, explored a lot of BC and waited it out. When we finally arrived at Tok, we spent six more weeks in Alaska proper, then three weeks down through the Alaska Hwy going south. Worked our way into Jasper and Lake Louise, finishing up around the first week of September at Glacier National Park. If we found extra things to do, we extended our stay anywhere we were. It made for a very relaxed trip.
Church's was very useful in Alaska; make sure your gps will take lat and long.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #4

We crossed into Canada from Washington May 23 and returned into Montana Sept. 8. We never felt we overstayed. I guess it depends how you like to travel. We took our time in Canada and the Yukon and explored everything we could. We did the same for Alaska exploring every little town surrounding us. Many days we stayed in camp and just enjoyed the immediate surroundings.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:59 AM   #5

We crossed into Canada at Sweetgrass/Couts second week of May in 2012, and into Alaska May 31st of 2012 ahead of the washouts that year. Some lakes & rivers were still partially frozen, but it wasn't really that cold. To make a long story short, crossed back into the U.S. Sept. 4th. Wished the season was longer, but it is what it is. Going back in 2016.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

You certainly will not run out of things to see and do in one Summer. The only limit for me would be to get out of there by October. I haven't actually seen it, but I hear rumors that bad things start to happen then.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

We stayed in Alaska 58 days. We plan to return in 2017 and will spend the majority of our time in Homer, Valdez, and Denali Natl Park and will probably stay just as long or longer.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We hustled, right at 30 days total for entire trip, about 12,000 miles. Toledo Ohio to Prudhoe Bay.

About 10 days of this was in Alaska.

We're planing a longer stay next time. This was an "exploratory" stay
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote