Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #1

AZ trust land permit?

I know a permit is needed to use/ travel through AZ trust land, but if I'm reading this correctly from their FAQ it only allows for a total of 14 days of camping a year. Now is that for one particular area or all of AZ? Is there a sign in or something at locations? How does AZ know how many days you camped or is it an honor system?

From the faq page...
"WHAT DOES MY RECREATION PERMIT ALLOW ME TO DO ON TRUST LAND"?

ShowAnswer...
Your recreation permit allows you to enjoy non-consumptive recreational activities including: hiking, horseback riding, bicycling, picnics, photography, bird watching, sightseeing, camping (limited to 14 days per year), and limited off highway vehicle use (restricted to designated roads and trails), for non-commercial and non-competitive purposes.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

14 Days applies everywhere. There are rangers that "may enforce" it but I have seen it ignored at times. The problem comes when "squatters", as I call them, show up. They find the ideal spot and pretty much hog it until they are forced to leave. Many don't leave until they are forced to. Some of the RVs out there are real hoopdees that would not be allowed at a campground due their deteriorating appearance. Often many stay well over the 14 days. Some places have more enforcement than others.

The other issue I have come across are the waste-oids that set up there with the intent of going absolutely hog wild. They bring loud sound systems and party HARD, sometimes for days. In their minds, they can do whatever they want, despite how it impacts anyone near by. Sadly there is little law enforcement at these places. And then they leave all their trash behind.

With anything else, there are many that abuse the permits and abuse the land. We all end up paying for that one way or another. Sadly many areas are trashed with debris from losers. For some reason many in AZ feel they can haul anything out to these sites, fill it with bullet holes and leave it.

There are some peaceful places to be found if you look.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.

It's the same every where, trailers left unattended for long periods in prime locations, garbage/ debris left behind, piles of crap/ tp in the open or a rock placed on it (nice bury job) in the camp site, shooting targets & broken glass used as shooting targets left behind. Then they wonder why areas get shutdown.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
What Raineman said.

I have a saying: "There are those who cause policy to be set"
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #5

The only enforcement I have seen of this in AZ is rangers checking to make sure the camper has a State Land permit, and that they only stay at the same campsite for a maximum of 14 consecutive days. This was at a site close to Lake Pleasant, which has a lot of enforcement. This is the only place I have witnessed rangers present on state land.
Before that, there were class A rigs from Idaho staying there from November until March. It's at a very coveted spot that allows camping at the edge of a small cliff.

I have not seen a way for the rangers to know if someone has already camped on state land at another place.

Tags
rust