Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #1

Backwards Campground

We camped this past week-end in Boone, NC. I saw something I had never seen before,
A campground where the site where backwards.
We believe it was just because of the decline in the roads and having to direct campers in the wrong way.
It is such a shame, because it is one of the prettiest campground settings we have visited.
It makes me sad to see the potential in campgrounds unfulfilled.

If you are planning to camp in Boone, you might want to check out my last blog post first.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P View Post
We camped this past week-end in Boone, NC. I saw something I had never seen before,
A campground where the site where backwards.
We believe it was just because of the decline in the roads and having to direct campers in the wrong way.
It is such a shame, because it is one of the prettiest campground settings we have visited.
It makes me sad to see the potential in campgrounds unfulfilled.

If you are planning to camp in Boone, you might want to check out my last blog post first.
Please explain what you mean "A campground where the site where backwards". What is backwards? My mind is running wild!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Do we assume that you mean that the utilities and sewer hook ups were on the same side as the patio?

Dan
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
Please explain what you mean "A campground where the site where backwards". What is backwards? My mind is running wild!
I'm guessing either a back in site that is designed for MH's to be pulled in facing forward (usually for the view) or side-by-side hookups and they were on the wrong side. We stayed at a place in NC where you had to pull in, that way we could see their little man made pond.

Bob
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of campgrounds both public and private had hookups placed wherever it was convenient and the least expense for the CG owner. Early on there was no standard as there is today. We have stayed in more than one campground with utilities on the "wrong" side. I always carry a 50' shore power cord and extra hose for those sites.
Some of the state parks are renovating to more conventional standards, as funds permit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf7 View Post
Do we assume that you mean that the utilities and sewer hook ups were on the same side as the patio?

Dan
No, It seems the original layout was a loop, but the road is now gravel so larger campers can't do the steepness of the original design so you are sent in the opposite way to your site, which makes backing into your spot backwards. It makes it almost impossible if the campsite across from you is occupied.
Does that make sense?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
As for backward camps, I stayed in one, in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It's the "Isleta Lakes, RV Park". All sites are pull-through and the covered, picnic table, plus the standing BBQ grill, was on the driver's side, the same side as the utilities. Not sure why, but I think it was because they had a patch of grass on that side and didn't want to maintain another patch of grass on the curb side of the coach. We didn't use the BBQ grill, because it was right under the driver's window and much too close to the RV. Strangest set-up I've ever seen!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've been to a few where the utilities were at the front of the site. It was easier and cheaper for them to lay it out that way. I carry extra hose and elec cord so Its not a big deal if I can't reach with my standard equipment.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I looked on google earth....which campground did you stay at?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Navajo Lake State park in NM has many bass-akward sites including up and down and pull through sloping sites. An awesome lake but poorly laid out campground.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am thinking he means like this the / or \ are campsites, the > is the direction of travel and the ___ is the road.

>______/___/___/ That is backwards

>___\___]____\ is forwards (note the one in teh middle is either way).
Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I am thinking he means like this the / or \ are campsites, the > is the direction of travel and the ___ is the road.

>______/___/___/ That is backwards

>___\___]____\ is forwards (note the one in teh middle is either way).

Exactly my thought - Because campers are now being directed into the loop from another direction, the parking driveway (not the whole site) is now angled at the wrong angle to back into the site. You should probably write a letter to the campground manager to see if this can be corrected. Perhaps whoever re-designed this was not an RVer!! You think?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #13

We have stayed at a camp ground in Sequoia National Forest, where the sites were facing the wrong direction for the one way road. We had to drive the wrong way inorder to get the correct angle to back our trailer in the sight.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Exactly my thought - Because campers are now being directed into the loop from another direction, the parking driveway (not the whole site) is now angled at the wrong angle to back into the site. You should probably write a letter to the campground manager to see if this can be corrected. Perhaps whoever re-designed this was not an RVer!! You think?
That is exactly what I meant. I believe it must be a financial issue. It looked like they were working on some other projects. but paving didn't seem to be in the future, but I didn't ask. I didn't want to insult them. They were really sweet people.
My husband and I both said that if someone with money would purchase this campground, add a pool, pave the roads and up date the camp store, this one be the best camping experience out there.
The grounds were beautiful (deep in the mountains) and it is right in the center of two wonderful mountain towns with great shopping, amusement park, hiking, whitewater rafting and some of the best restaurants.

Here are some pictures to show how beautiful this place is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	20956   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	20957  

Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG