Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #1

Angry Bad campground

We recently took a trip to tour the Michigan Upper Peninsula in our motorhome. We decided to stay 2 nights at Wandering Wheels Campground near Munusing.

I would like to tell you and all your members to AVOID this campground.

When you first arrive it seems like a nice place. They appear to have recently made many upgrades and had a very nice campground at one time but it has been neglected and allowed to go into disrepair. I was told by another camper that the management has changed this year .

I'll try to give you a breif description of our experiance there:

It was a rainy day (July 6 2014) when we arrived. I called ahead and booked a full hookup site for $46.50/night. I asked about the AAA discount my campground guide said they offered and was told it was no longer available. (I noticed the AAA sign was being displayed in front of the campground.)This price was quite high I thought but it must be a first class campground. Boy,was I wrong!

Another camper was in the office when we were checking in and he was complaining that his WIFI was not working.The woman asked him what kind of computer he had. The guy said he had many different devices and none of them worked. She said she would send a kid to check the transmitter. My first clue something was wrong with this place.

She offered us several spots to check before we picked one.We drove around and settled on one that had a pile of garbage on the picnic table but looked OK. None of them looked great. The roads and campsites were potholed and large puddles were flooding many sites. It had rained, but if the sites were graded properly to aid drainage it wouldn't have caused such a mess. At this point I should have just left and went somewhere else. We pulled into the spot the way it looked to best suit an RV. No good. Hookups were in the wrong side. Drove my 32 foot Rv out and went around the block to turn it around,all the time avoiding the overgrown and overhanging trees. Pulled in again. Ok now but I realized I would need at least 35 feet of cable to hook up my electicity. Connected 2 cables together and plugged in. Went in the rv to check for and my electrical monitor was beeping to give me a warning. Ground fault. The electrical box was not grounded! Very dangerous. Especialy in wet weather. When I unplugged and tried the other outlet on the box it started sparking inside the box. Decided to disconnect and inform the management. When I told the woman about the problem she did not seemed too suprized and immediatly told me to move to another spot. I didn't want to move again so I asked if she had a maintenance person who could check it and she said he was 2 hours away from the campground and could not come today. ????? My second clue something was seriously wrong here.

I moved to another spot and plugged in. Also a very long reach for my hook-ups. Every thing seemed to be OK now.

Next day at 6:00 a.m. I started my coffee maker and the power went out. Checked all my stuff and it was all good. No power was coming from the campground electrical box but it's breaker was not tripped. Here we go again. Asked a few other campers and they also had no power. Complained at the office and they said they were looking into it. I should add that I have camped with this RV at many campgrounds and I have never had electrical problems. This campground has some serious electrical problems. We had some plans for the day and left the campground when the power was still out.

I called later in the day and they said they had it all fixed. Came back in the late afternoon and the power was on. Great. End of problem! Not! Just before supper the power went out again. The guy in the campsite next to us was livid. He said that it was the 5th time that day! He went to the office and they told him to move to another site.Problem is there were not many sites with good electricity. I had had enough. I finished my supper and went to ask for a discount for all my trouble. She told me I was a miserable person that had too many problems and that there was no discount but we could have a refund for that day if we left immediatly. We did. And we won't be going back in the future.

On top of all the electrical issues with this place they had very poor customer service. Their so called large heated pool was green and milky. I wouldn't let my dog swim in it. The grass was long on most sites. The washrooms and showers were fairly nice but dirty and unkept. The firewood was $7 a bundle and you needed 2 for a 2hr fire. It was mosquito infested due to all the puddles everywhere and lack of pruning of all the very large trees. They need to do some road and site grading. Many of the water hookups leaked.The wifi did work at my site but I had to do some adjusting to my computer to get it to work and not everyone are nerdy enough to know what to do. Maybe that's why the other guys didn't work. It was very slow once it was connected.

To make a long story a little shorter. This was a nice campground at one time but now it is too expensive, poorly managed,poorly maintained and don't go there unless you want to be aggrivated and lose valuable time while on your hard earned holiday!! Enough said.

Sincerely, Scott Hadley
Scott hadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

If you haven't already done so, post your review at Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews. It is invaluable for getting info about CGs.

I use it and Google Satellite to check out a CG before making reservations.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
don't know where you are from but we live in Michigan and hope this experience does not discourage you from coming back. There are any number if nice campgrounds in our state. State parks are usually well kept but you need to reserve well in advance for a spot in one of those.
Wishing you a better experience next time.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #4

From some one that lives in Michigan, I am also sorry for your bad luck there. But don't let that make your decision not to visit our State again.

Tags
campground