Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #15
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Sounds like a note to corporate thanking them for their hostile manager would be appropriate. Even if the park is a franchise, it's the KOA name and brand he's tarnished. Would be interested in their response back to you.
I agree 100%. We will occasionally use KOA parks and my response to the "manager" for his less then "customer friendly approach"would have been quite direct and to the point. The corp office does need to know about this incident.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #16

Yes,the manager was rude...
Why are you so concerned about wifi when you are at Yellowstone!!!!!
Get out & see the park!!!
Almost every McDonald's or Starbucks has free Wi-Fi.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #17

The lodging industry in general is in a tough spot when it comes to Wi-Fi. People are demanding it but at the same time the people that actually own and run the RV parks or hotels usually have very little technical knowledge. The only way that they can provide this amenity is to either throw up a $100 access point that they buy at Best Buy or contract it out to a third party company.

On one hand I understand that when they advertise Wi-Fi the expectation is that is functional WiFi. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of people demanding that they fix the WiFi for them now, like the poor front desk clerk has the skills of the Apple Genius Bar or something.

It's fine to report the Wi-Fi is not working but it's entirely a waste of time to get into an argument about it or demand that it be fixed when it is clear that the people you're talking to have absolutely no ability to fix anything themselves about Wi-Fi.

I'm with the other comment in this thread. If having Wi-Fi while you are traveling is that critical to you then in my opinion you need to travel with your own technology that you control. Wi-Fi then becomes nice to have when it works, allowing you perhaps better speeds or to save the data allowance on the technology that you bring with you.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
Yes,the manager was rude...
Why are you so concerned about wifi when you are at Yellowstone!!!!!
Get out & see the park!!!
Almost every McDonald's or Starbucks has free Wi-Fi.
I've always thought that it is dangerous in these situations to reach a conclusion like the manager of a certain campground was rude or disrespectful. After reading thousands of posts for years on this forum and on rv.net, have you ever had an OP write a post about a bad experience and include the fact that they, the OP, was rude or disrespectful or demanding or out of line? I know in a perfect world that the customer is always right but I also know that in reality sometimes the customer is a jerk.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
The challenge is if we all got sideways if every time something doesn't go quite as planned, we would be sideways a lot!
Yes wifi is important. Will we find it to our satisfaction at every stop?
No way, never going to happen.
So we also got our own hotspot.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #20

The solution of course is for campground owners to invest in commercial grade wifi instead of a $100 Linksys router at Best Buy and to hire technically competent staff members. I'm not sure many campground customers are willing to pay the nightly rates that would result.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #21

Yes. Hotspot!
We are fulltime. When in a place with grand natural wonders and 1st class sightseeing, the most we do is an email or two via our hotspot. The rest of the time we are busy adventuring.
We always try the camp wifi, but it's never a show stopper, and it is seldom that it works good.
Let the Journey be your Destination

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I think the point is that the manager was very rude, this is not the way to run a business. He probably knew you couldn't get another site at a different campground which gave him the "courage" to say what he said.

I think a letter to KOA is warranted.

We stayed in a park in Oklahoma City and when we were checking in the desk manager apologized right up front and said the WiFi wasn't working. He had done everything he couldn't get it running. At least we knew up front it wasn't working and the matter was handled in a very professional manner.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
And there might be the managers side of the story we are not hearing.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hate rude!

I probably would have apologized to him for expecting him to understand anything about the technical world or he wouldn't be managing a KOA.

Nothing against KOA owners or managers (got one in the family actually), I just would have had to have a snarky comeback to getting pointed to the door.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #25

Maybe you could switch spots to be closer to an wifi connection that you could access?
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
I've always thought that it is dangerous in these situations to reach a conclusion like the manager of a certain campground was rude or disrespectful. After reading thousands of posts for years on this forum and on rv.net, have you ever had an OP write a post about a bad experience and include the fact that they, the OP, was rude or disrespectful or demanding or out of line? I know in a perfect world that the customer is always right but I also know that in reality sometimes the customer is a jerk.
I agree. I work in the service industry and it is rarely the person on the business side of the counter that jumps straight to being rude (although it does sometimes happen). It's usually the bantering and unrealistic expectations from the customer that eventually wear the worker down or get to the point where the only solution the customer has to fix their problem is to take their business elsewhere or deal with the product or service you are offering.
To those saying a full refund is due, that is ridiculous and unreasonable. A discount sure. WiFi at a campground (especially at site) is a perk, it's not however, the primary service they are providing you. That would be like going to a hotel and demanding a full refund because they are out of soap and shampoo or the mini fridge wasn't working.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Whatever the problem, there's no excuse for the manager's attitude!

Does KOA have a headquarters that you could report that to?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #28

Wow, as usual we are hearing only one side of the story. I think it was the OP or another poster who said the Park was well maintained and neat/clean with beautiful spots. When we are traveling I will take that over the WiFi access any day. We don't really trust a common Wifi access anyway so we upped the data on our smart phone and use that as our hotspot, which is always available and is secure. So if you really have to have it for work or whatever your needs are, spend a little money, and don't be so quick to condemn the location that may have no control over the WiFi access. Only so many people can use a common WiFi access at one time, without it becoming slow or not accessible.

I would think that someone being blessed enough to be spending time in Yellowstone, wouldn't be wasting enough time on the computer that WiFi access would be a big enough issue to badmouth an otherwise nice location. But some rush to judgement that it was rude on the managers part and he should be reported, who knows how it was handled on the other side that brought out that response.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote