Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Bahia Honda State Park Reservation Tips??

We are wanting to travel to Key West and are looking strongly at this location. Apparently it is a highly desired park and reservations on the water are hard to get. We are looking at the end of May into June of next year and our dates are very flexible.

So what are the tricks to getting a waterfront spot?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We are wanting to travel to Key West and are looking strongly at this location. Apparently it is a highly desired park and reservations on the water are hard to get. We are looking at the end of May into June of next year and our dates are very flexible.

the res site says that you can book 11 months in advance, so you have to book as soon as the dates become bookable. with your moho and toad, imho you need spot 18, 71 feet long.
Campground Details - BAHIA HONDA SP, FL - Florida Department of Environmental Protection
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

It is very difficult, but possible. I tried last year to get a spring time reservation on the water but was unsuccessful. I tried this year and finally got a waterfront site for next April. I tried daily using two computers and would either be too early or too late - when the site said reservations open at 8:00am, they mean exactly that. I opened several windows and would move and click as fast as I could. Some would be too early and some too late. Persistence is the key. I tried daily for 2 months before I hit one. I guess I'm just stubborn. There is no secret except keep trying. Don't bother to call for this park - it will be full. The only other option (if you are flexible) is to keep looking as time approaches and see if anyone cancels - people try to cancel 15 days prior to their visit in order to avoid the one night camping fee.
rvgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

I was primed and ready for the war at 8 AM EST, but got beat by someone with 3 nights. But I checked a few hours later and it was available. I jumped in and got spot #17 for 7 nights for next May.

I just then realized that we will be there for Memorial Day also. Now I need to find out what Key West does on Memorial Day.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

The water sites are not that big a deal, only that you are near the water. No swimming at the CG site etc.. They are also noisy due to the proxiimity to the highway bridge, especially if the wind is from that direction.

We will go back, but won't struggle for a watersite. Key West is 37 miles if I recall correctly.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Having just returned from a trip to the keys, don't go expecting great beaches. BHSP has two or three places to swim and are called beaches, but they are not like the coasts of Florida. We stayed at point of view rv park in key largo for 3 days then Bluewater key rv resort for 10 days. Wonderful time, but just don't expect real "beaches". IMHO
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Having just returned from a trip to the keys, don't go expecting great beaches. BHSP has two or three places to swim and are called beaches, but they are not like the coasts of Florida. We stayed at point of view rv park in key largo for 3 days then Bluewater key rv resort for 10 days. Wonderful time, but just don't expect real "beaches". IMHO
Thanks for the input. We actually are not looking for the beaches at Key West. On our trip either there or back we will most likely stop off at our favorite beach at Gulf Shores.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #8

You have to check every week for cancellations and be able to go quickly,they are usually cancelled close to the reserved days.Living in fl. we have got sites that way fairly often.I also think there is no comparison between a water site and the rest, they are much nicer.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks for the input. We actually are not looking for the beaches at Key West. On our trip either there or back we will most likely stop off at our favorite beach at Gulf Shores.
Navarre Beach, Orange Beach, Destin, Gulf Shores are all great beaches. Enjoy your time in the keys. Great food, beautiful scenery, no place like it!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #10

This trip will be a late 40th anniversary present to ourselves. We went to Key West once 10+ years ago for one day, but it rained the entire time we was there. Our trip there and back will be about 2 weeks if not longer. I am retired, so we have plenty of time, but maybe not money. This is why we will mostly stay at state parks instead of the pricey resorts.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #11

Here's a wonderful review of the state park with a video. Your Site 17 looks very nice. Enjoy!

By the way, on the top line is a 'clicky' for reviews of the states they've stayed, organized by state. It's very helpful for those with big rigs and those that like public campgrounds or boondocking. They had a 40' motorhome.

Look for other links within their particular park description about nearby attractions, etc. They also had a dog, like you, and were always on the lookout for places to take the pup... beaches, outside cafes, etc.

https://wheelingit.us/2017/04/13/sp-...ahia-honda-fl/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here's a wonderful review of the state park with a video. Your Site 17 looks very nice. Enjoy!

By the way, on the top line is a 'clicky' for reviews of the states they've stayed, organized by state. It's very helpful for those with big rigs and those that like public campgrounds or boondocking. They had a 40' motorhome.

Look for other links within their particular park description about nearby attractions, etc. They also had a dog, like you, and were always on the lookout for places to take the pup... beaches, outside cafes, etc.

https://wheelingit.us/2017/04/13/sp-...ahia-honda-fl/
FYI, this post is from 2013!

Additionally, Bahia Honda was hit hard by Hurricane Irma in 2017 and is still in a rebuilding mode. Sandspur campground has been closed since the hurricane, most of the sand beach facing the Atlantic was carried across the channel to the Girl Scout camp. It was a mess.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
FYI, this post is from 2013!

Additionally, Bahia Honda was hit hard by Hurricane Irma in 2017 and is still in a rebuilding mode. Sandspur campground has been closed since the hurricane, most of the sand beach facing the Atlantic was carried across the channel to the Girl Scout camp. It was a mess.
If you begin reading you'll see the review was updated in Feb. 2018 - AFTER IRMA.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote