Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #1

Bakersfield to San Diego

On Monday Dec. 23rd we'll be leaving the Orange Grove RV Park in Bakersfield headed for Mission Bay RV Resort in San Diego.

Looks like there are 3 possible routes to consider;

1. the I-5 S

2. the I-5 S to I-15 S

3. CA-58 E to I-15 S

Suggestions?

Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where are you planning the cut-over in option #2?...I-5 to I-15.

Have driven most every way you can do it...CA Central Valley to SD. What do you desire and what do you want to avoid along the trip.

Later

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a personal favorite, a bit longer but I would do about anything to avoid I-5 all the way. I-5 to I -210 to I-15.

None of it in my view is very appealing but it is over in one day, one long hair raising day.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Where are you planning the cut-over in option #2?...I-5 to I-15.

Have driven most every way you can do it...CA Central Valley to SD. What do you desire and what do you want to avoid along the trip.

Later
The 210 would be the cut-over to the 15 using Mapquest...didn't blow it up enough to see that.

Google does not even show the I-5 I-210 to I-15 as an option.

We are not sightseeing on this leg and just focusing on getting to SD the easiest way and understand there will be traffic.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
This is a personal favorite, a bit longer but I would do about anything to avoid I-5 all the way. I-5 to I -210 to I-15.

None of it in my view is very appealing but it is over in one day, one long hair raising day.
Looks to be the best route.

Thanks all.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I-5 to I-210 to I-15. My recommendation is based on the condition of the road surface as of two years ago.

Went to San Diego on I-5, returned on I-15. I-15 was much better.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #7

I like the Tahachape pass better than grapevine. 58 to 395 into San Bernardido then follow mapquest. Been to the Orange Grove many times, just get on 58 from there
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
I like the Tahachape pass better than grapevine. 58 to 395 into San Bernardido then follow mapquest. Been to the Orange Grove many times, just get on 58 from there
My initial thought was 58 to 395 to the 15. Took that in March from Yuma to Bakersfield. Traffic not bad.

Was leaning this time the I-5 to the 210 to the I-15 to San Diego but going back to my initial thought, 58 to 395 to the 15. For the little difference in time and miles will be a better drive with less traffic, if there is such a thing in the L.A. area.

Thanks all.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Hadn't thought of that route but I think it is a good idea. Less traffic and, again, better road surface.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Us out West View Post
My initial thought was 58 to 395 to the 15. Took that in March from Yuma to Bakersfield. Traffic not bad.

Was leaning this time the I-5 to the 210 to the I-15 to San Diego but going back to my initial thought, 58 to 395 to the 15. For the little difference in time and miles will be a better drive with less traffic, if there is such a thing in the L.A. area.

Thanks all.
Concur that 58-395-15 is much better for a RV regarding traffic, conditions, and sights if you like the desert.

We NEVER go I-5 all the way...not even in a car. We avoid LA at all costs, even in car. There is always heavy traffic 7 days a week. The 5-210-15 route is fine in a car or truck...but not so much for a RV.

Southbound over the Gravevine is a harder grade than Tehachapi, so 58 is a better option for your RV too.

From 58, there is 395 - OR - you can continue down 14 to Palmdale and go east on the Pearblossom Hwy (18 and 138), Antelope Hwy. This diagonal route saves some miles and is a very scenic drive with lots of old Hwy66 type towns along the road to sight see or shop and the mountains to your right.

Then finally, you have to pick I-15 or the shorter I-215 through the Inland Empire...if it is near the commuter hours stay away from 215 due to some narrow bottle necks where there is HWY construction. But if it is mid-day or night, 215 is shorter and an easy drive.

In San Diego, you will have to cut over from I-15 to the coast on I-5 for Mission Bay. There are 2 easy options with no back-tracking...SR56 and SR52.
56 is very new (less than 7 years), and has no evening commuter congestion going toward the coast with wide and level ramp interchanges.
52 is much older and can have evening congestion...but just 2 months ago CalTrans smoothed the humps and bumps near the dump, so it is now a smooth road.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
In San Diego, you will have to cut over from I-15 to the coast on I-5 for Mission Bay. There are 2 easy options with no back-tracking...SR56 and SR52.
56 is very new (less than 7 years), and has no evening commuter congestion going toward the coast with wide and level ramp interchanges.
52 is much older and can have evening congestion...but just 2 months ago CalTrans smoothed the humps and bumps near the dump, so it is now a smooth road.

Best luck
How about the 163, off of the 15, to Balboa Ave to Mission Bay Drive then in?
Old 12-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Us out West View Post
How about the 163, off of the 15, to Balboa Ave to Mission Bay Drive then in?
Balboa Ave is just that...an Avenue. There are lights every 1-2 city blocks all the way from SR163 to your destination

San Diego is getting to be more and more like a big city, so keep your RV on the highways as long as you can or you will be creeping along the surface streets with every yahoo in an import and jerk in their luxo-SUV cutting you off.

From I-15, I would take westbound SR56 to I-5 south...be careful to stay on I-5 at the I-5/I-805 split...exit the freeway at Clairemont Dr., westbound for about 100yards (you will be able to see the RV park from the freeway). Take a right onto N. Mission Bay Dr., northbound...then it's just a nice drive along the park from that point....little or no traffic.

Enjoy your trip!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Balboa Ave is just that...an Avenue. There are lights every 1-2 city blocks all the way from SR163 to your destination

San Diego is getting to be more and more like a big city, so keep your RV on the highways as long as you can or you will be creeping along the surface streets with every yahoo in an import and jerk in their luxo-SUV cutting you off.

From I-15, I would take westbound SR56 to I-5 south...be careful to stay on I-5 at the I-5/I-805 split...exit the freeway at Clairemont Dr., westbound for about 100yards (you will be able to see the RV park from the freeway). Take a right onto N. Mission Bay Dr., northbound...then it's just a nice drive along the park from that point....little or no traffic.

Enjoy your trip!
Got it...SR56 it will be.