Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #1

Banff area provincial CG's?

I realize that it is late in the game for reservations, but we plan to spend some time in the Banff, AB area beginning August 1st after we leave our CG in Whitefish, MT. Fairmont Hot Springs and Canyon RV parks are booked through mid-August. Anyone have any experience with provincial CG's such as Castle Mountain, Kicking Horse, Mosquito Creek, or Tunnel Mountain? I thought that I would try to get some intel before I called to check on availability. Thanks much.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stayed at Tunnel Mountain a few year ago, nothing fancy but but a perfectly good and roomy campground. One of the best trips we have taken.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We did Tunnel Mountain last June (early June) for 3 nights. We stayed in the "Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court" Very nice sites...I think their mostly pull-thru's, all very level with great views. Looks like they were re-done recently, all 321 are full service sites.

Option 2 located right next door is Tunnel Mountain Village 2 has 188 electric sites. It was going to be closed all of last summer to modernize the campground, but construction was set to start July 1st of 2016, so I'm not sure if they finished.

Option 3 again right next door is the Tunnel Mountain Village 1 with 618 non-electric sites. If you do reserve here, the sites further back in the campground serve larger RV's better.

When I say "right next door" I mean you can't drive between all 3 campgrounds, but you can walk or bike thru all 3. There is a mountain bike trail that makes a loop around all 3.

If I recall, I made a reservation about 4 months before and about 2/3 were still available.

Remember their main tourist season for Banff is July 1st thru Sept. If I recall, biking thru the 3 campgrounds they were very full, but the non-electric campground they didn't have all the loops open yet because it was early June.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #4

I also stayed at Tunnel Mountain trailer court. Had to keep logging on daily to get a cancellation. If you find nothing, up the road at Lake Louise just south of town on the highway is an overflow dry camp area that you should be able to find a space with no advance reservations.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

the Canadian national parks are free this year so spots will be hard to find.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote