Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #15

We're staying at the bar harbor Oceanside koa end of June. Made reservations about a month ago. I saw the website for the place you are talking about. No reservations seems dysfunctional, not my travel style. I'm a planner.
GuidoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoDoc View Post
We're staying at the bar harbor Oceanside koa end of June. Made reservations about a month ago. I saw the website for the place you are talking about. No reservations seems dysfunctional, not my travel style. I'm a planner.
Agreed! Thanks!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #17
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoDoc View Post
...No reservations seems dysfunctional, not my travel style. I'm a planner.
Ditto on being planners. There's nothing wrong with being spontaneous, but we don't like to be inconvenienced, so we also like to plan. We are really uncomfortable traveling to a tourist area in high season with no predetermined place to stay.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #18

We stayed at Bar Harbor Campground last August. We arrived on a Wednesday and there were several camping spaces available. We enjoyed staying there. They do enforce the rules. There was a free shuttle bus running hourly into Bar Harbor. You can even load. Your bikes on the front of the bus. ( great).
Have you considered camping at the National park. You can make reservations there. If you are over 62 and have a senior pass ($10) you can stay for $18 per night ( I think). We stayed there two years ago and loved it. There are no hookups if that is a problem. The ranger led programs and the bike trails made it a great experience.
Wherever you stay, have a great time. We really enjoy our trips to Maine.
Jim from PA
Fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
We ended up... At least so far... Reserving a "best oceanfront" site at Narrows Too @ $92 /night, which is the cost per night on their weekly rate. $100 deposit and $50 cancellation fee. Pricy and not on the island, but at least we have an oceanfront site nearby for the week. I checked with KOA Oceanside and they are already booked for a rig my size and with 50 amp service. Looks like there is a shuttle with several routes from the CG to all over the island. May not need to bring the toad... Any positive or negative comments about our choice, suggestions, advise, are all welcome! Thanks!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG
We ended up... At least so far... Reserving a "best oceanfront" site at Narrows Too @ $92 /night, which is the cost per night on their weekly rate. $100 deposit and $50 cancellation fee. Pricy and not on the island, but at least we have an oceanfront site nearby for the week. I checked with KOA Oceanside and they are already booked for a rig my size and with 50 amp service. Looks like there is a shuttle with several routes from the CG to all over the island. May not need to bring the toad... Any positive or negative comments about our choice, suggestions, advise, are all welcome! Thanks!
We stayed there a couple of years ago. The campground is ok, not anything special but nice enough. You will regret it if you don't take your toad. Things are pretty spread out and to rely on the shuttle will leave a lot of stuff out. Have fun.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Yes, take your toad. We used the our car & the bus service depending on the need. We also stopped in Portland & Freeport and used our car there too.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #22

You'll like the oceanfront site... lots of vegetation seperating sites to give privacy. They have fire pits also for the campfire. Yes, take the toad. There are many sights to see that you'd miss if you just relied on the shuttles
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #23

We stayed at Acadia and loved it. Were thinking about moving over to Bar Harbor CG for the full hookups, but after driving through, decided we liked where we were better. If you can get into the NP, nail a site down then drive over to the CG to see if you like it and what their availability is. You will want the car to drive around and through the NP. It is breathtaking there ... but in July it is going to be mobbed. We were there after Labor Day and it was packed! Find the Lobster pounds for lobsters, BH restaurants want a fortune and you can get a better deal at the lobster pounds. Our trip is on boatdogbilly.blogspot.com. There are entries for our trip to Maine.
TAKINBETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
We stayed at Narrows Two a couple of years ago and are going back this year for a seasonal site. We agree that you need to have your toad, but the shuttle is probably the way to go if you're going into Bar Harbor for the afternoon/day. We don't have any negative comments about the campground, it certainly served us well, and we expect it to do so this summer. We will be there July and August although we have the site from mid May through the end of the season, sometime in October. It was a money thing through Thousand Trails.
David Smith is offline   Reply With Quote