Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bar Harbor, Maine in July

Thinking about loading the RV and heading to Acadia National Park / Bar Harbor in Mid July. The campground we like the best from RV Park Reviews and with the most desirable location is Bar Harbor Campground. The problem is... that it doesn't accept advanced reservations. Since this is one of my first trips to a far off place that doesn't accept reservations in July... my question is... am I taking a 10 hour drive chance of getting a suitable site? Should I have a back up or skip this CG altogether? Any seasoned advice would be appreciated... thanks

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
paz

I will be watching for answers to this question also. We are headed there as well, but hesitate planning to stay there and then not being able to find a site.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #3

While in ME, I encourage you to see THE REAL MAINE. This means yes do see Bar Harbor, Acadia NP and such, but the real Maine begins after Bar Harbor. After BH, every road to the right leads to the shore or a cove. You will find villages with restaurants that have better and cheaper food than the tourist spots. In mid August the wild blueberries are full, and 10 to 13 a quart in BH, but as little as $3 a quart in Whiting and other towns further along. And the lobster is much cheaper farther "Downeast" also. And the farther you go, the more down-home it gets. Eastport is awesome. Enjoy your trip!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

BTW, the lobstah is sweetah furthah downeast because the watah is coldah.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at the Narrows Too Campground and either used the toad or took the shuttle bus onto the island. See link:

FACILITIES
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We stayed at Smugglers Den (http://www.smugglersdencampground.com/) in Southwest Harbor last fall. Just a short drive to Bar Harbor (about 12 miles) and Acadia. They take reservations. Seemed like a nice place!

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
FYI.. In addition to not accepting advanced reservations, when we stayed there Bar Harbor Campground didnít accept credit cards.

Also Iíve seen Bar Harbor Campground kick someone out for leaving their dog unattended. Me, I was lucky, they only gave me a warning note about leaving my dogs while we went out to eat dinner.

We now stay at Narrows Too Campground.

Enjoy Bar Harbor and Acadia NP.. And donít miss the Bass Harbor Lighthouse
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gMw View Post
FYI.. In addition to not accepting advanced reservations, when we stayed there Bar Harbor Campground didnít accept credit cards.

Also Iíve seen Bar Harbor Campground kick someone out for leaving their dog unattended. Me, I was lucky, they only gave me a warning note about leaving my dogs while we went out to eat dinner.

We now stay at Narrows Too Campground.

Enjoy Bar Harbor and Acadia NP.. And donít miss the Bass Harbor Lighthouse
I saw that they don't accept credit cards... It amazes me when most people don't carry cash anymore... that there are still businesses out there that will not take credit cards. Some because of tax reasons (I'll leave it at that) and some that dont want to pay the fees... It's under 3%... Geez... On $50, that's $1.50... Build the cost into your rate and do right by the customer... Anyway, other than paying by check or cash, and the dog thing, did you have any issues at check in finding a good site?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Last August we stayed at the Bar Harbor Campground KOA for a week. It was full the entire time we were there. We made reservations about now. There was a site here & there that was vacant for a day or so, but to have a site for any length of time needs preplanning.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsflight View Post
Last August we stayed at the Bar Harbor Campground KOA for a week. It was full the entire time we were there. We made reservations about now. There was a site here & there that was vacant for a day or so, but to have a site for any length of time needs preplanning.
Bob, according to their website, they do NOT accept advanced reservations. How did you make reservations this time last year? Is this a new policy?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Bar Harbor is mobbed that time of year I would not go with out a reservation. If you travel just a bit farther North on RT 1 there is a campground in Sullivan Me. its called Mountain view (or something like that) Its nothing Fancy, but its right on the water and its 45 minuets to Bar Harbor and about 30 minuets to Schoonic Point (spelling??) which is also part of Acadia. Its a great spot to explore the "real Mane". And since its kind of out of the way, you may not need a reservation. I hope this helps.....Bruce
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
We stayed at the KOA Oceanside, don't confuse that one with the Bar Harbor Campground. I made reservations at the KOA about this time last year. Reservations can be made online or by phone. I prefer the real person on the phone.

The island public bus service (free) works real nice. It solves trying to find a parking space in cramped & busy Bar Harbor. We enjoyed the whale watching trip & consumed dozens of lobster.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsflight View Post
We stayed at the KOA Oceanside, don't confuse that one with the Bar Harbor Campground. I made reservations at the KOA about this time last year. Reservations can be made online or by phone. I prefer the real person on the phone.

The island public bus service (free) works real nice. It solves trying to find a parking space in cramped & busy Bar Harbor. We enjoyed the whale watching trip & consumed dozens of lobster.

My confusion... Sorry. I will check out the KOA. Sounds like i was right to be concerned about their (Bar Harbor Campgrounds) policy... Works for them but probably a real problem for campers on occasion! Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #14

We statyed at Narrows II a couple of years ago in late July/early August and really like it. . We did drive around to all the campgrounds in the area just to see what they looked like and for reference for our next visit. . We stopped at Bar Harbor CG, for a look araound. The staff in the office was pleasant and gave us a map and their rate sheet. In driving through the CG, there were some empty spots, but as you say, it's tough driving that far without a good feeling you will have a slot.