Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #1

Arrow Bar Harbour, Maine

What a zoo.

We haven't been here in 20 years and what a change. The old ferry terminal is still there but soon to be torn down and replaced with huge pier system to service two massive tour cruise ships at a time. The traffic is stupidely insane and don't try to be a Class A down town, very narrow roads and impossible turns for the big boys.

PEOPLE everywhere. It's like Disneyland. Acadia park is awesome and carraige ride(s) well worth the money to get a feel for how beautiful and big the park is. Lobster is wonderful and Haddock fish sandwichs are totally good.

We stayed/RV camped on the "Quiteside" at Bass Harbour campground. Nice place, make certain if you want TV, to ask for a site with good hookup. Forget antenna TV, "about every 3rd day we get reception". I doubt we will every come back, just too many people and with the cruise industry coming in, well this place will in a short time, but a zoo.

dan
Fleetwood 24D 2010

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 06:04 AM   #2

Good information. I will file this away for use during an eastern Canada trip next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Johnston View Post
What a zoo.

We haven't been here in 20 years and what a change. The old ferry terminal is still there but soon to be torn down and replaced with huge pier system to service two massive tour cruise ships at a time. The traffic is stupidely insane and don't try to be a Class A down town, very narrow roads and impossible turns for the big boys.

PEOPLE everywhere. It's like Disneyland. Acadia park is awesome and carraige ride(s) well worth the money to get a feel for how beautiful and big the park is. Lobster is wonderful and Haddock fish sandwichs are totally good.

We stayed/RV camped on the "Quiteside" at Bass Harbour campground. Nice place, make certain if you want TV, to ask for a site with good hookup. Forget antenna TV, "about every 3rd day we get reception". I doubt we will every come back, just too many people and with the cruise industry coming in, well this place will in a short time, but a zoo.

dan
Fleetwood 24D 2010

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dan...... Unfortunately-- and inevitably-- no place is as it was 20 or 40 years ago.

My family has been spending summers on Cape Cod since WW II. Now, many of my siblings and cousins have retired there and reside year round. I return almost every year for family gatherings and just to visit. I love the place still, but each year a part of me is disappointed, and I think to myself that I'd rather remember the way it was than experience anew what it has become.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #4

Yeah-- just like pretty much all of Florida has become-- terrible traffic, too many people -- a real zoo .
At least on Mt. desert Island, you can drive a few miles and get away from the congestion in Bar Harbor.... not here - no where to go within a reasonable distance to escape.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

We stayed at Blackwoods CG inside Acadia the week before Memorial Day. Actually, we are fortunate enough to do most of our tourist areas off season in our class C. Bar Harbor was not real busy end of May. It was very comfortable driving and walking and weather required jeans and a sweatshirt. I'll do that any day to avoid crowds of people ( and dogs) walking the sidewalks along with higher prices, lines and traffic. It is so disheartening to return somewhere and find it isn't the same as in our memory banks. Maine coast is my very favorite state, but I stay away in the summer. Lobster is just as good in September!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladie View Post
.........Maine coast is my very favorite state, but I stay away in the summer........

LOL. Gladie, my dad was an attorney. Back around 1960 or so one of his clients was a 2nd cousin of his, an old Cape Codder who owned a small bar in Hyannis. Strictly local traffic, what used to be known as a "mens' bar".
This branch of the family had lived on the cape for well over a century. Even back in 1960 this curmudgeon was disgruntled with the way the Cape was changing and wanted no part of the damn summer people. He would actually close his bar in early June (before school got out and the influx began). He would reopen a few days after Labor Day. He thought this was just fine. ;-)

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just was in Bar Harbor last Friday and Saturday. Stayed at Blackwoods CG in Acadia. Wonderful national park CG. Drove the park loop and had lunch at Northeast Harbor. Much less crowded and lunch was great at Dockside restaurant on the hill. Easy exploring the shops.

Bar Harbor was as crowded as you say. Surprised no truck/RV loop around downtown. Drove Class A through crowds and narrow streets.

Hated to pay tolls to drive I-95 (Maine Pike), but advised to drive the Pike until at least past Freeport to make any time traveling. Followed advice and glad we did.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #8

I totally agree with the OP hat Bar Harbor has become to "commercial" and crowded. We still go to Maine, but we prefer Boothbay. It is what Bar Harbor used to be 30 years ago.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #9

Good info. We should be in the Acadia area in about a month. In NJ now. Hopefully the summer crowds will have all returned to work/school.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #10

JFXG.....I live only 90 minutes from the Cape Cod bridges and have been there 100s of times. Quaint villages, gorgeous beaches if ya know where to go, great fresh seafood, shops, bike paths, but you won't see me there either in July or August.! Thanks for sharing.
On another note, love Boothbay Harbor also but I find it just as congested as Bar Harbor. Acadia NP is beautiful at dusk, sun setting on the ocean and lots of wildlife appear.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 AM   #11

We stayed at Timberland Acres in Trenton this year. Very nice campground and only10 minutes from Acadia. That way we get the benefit of being near without the madness of the crowds. Guess you can't really escape crowds in great areas .... but it's worth a try!
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladie View Post
JFXG.....I live only 90 minutes from the Cape Cod bridges and have been there 100s of times. Quaint villages, gorgeous beaches if ya know where to go, great fresh seafood, shops, bike paths, but you won't see me there either in July or August.! Thanks for sharing.
On another note, love Boothbay Harbor also but I find it just as congested as Bar Harbor. Acadia NP is beautiful at dusk, sun setting on the ocean and lots of wildlife appear.

We live on Cape Cod (mid cape) During the summer months we do not drive Friday - Sunday. Friday starting around 3 PM you have the crowds trying to beat the traffic across the bridges. It slows down around 9 PM. It starts again around 7AM Saturday and continues until mid afternoon when the traffic leaving the Cape starts up (the rental cottages turn over on Saturday). Then on Sunday it depends upon the weather. If it is sunny the traffic starts to back up around 3 PM, if it is raining the traffic starts earlier. It will free up by 9 PM. If it is a holiday weekend that changes to Monday. Either way the first work day morning after the weekend the morning commute will be bad. Back ups approaching the bridges can run 6 - 8 miles. Mass DOT has installed signs that give you driving times.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Agree with Gladdie. Acadia is best hit early May thru June(lot of bug spray and wet weather gear)and September thru October. Lupine on Bar Island are gorgeous and the carriage paths are apleasure to ride. Love the whole coast from Portland to Schodic we ride Rt 1 in a sunseeker towing and prefer it to the Maine pike.