Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #1

Bay Area to Vancouver

We had originally decided to take our family to the California Redwoods for a week about 10 days in July. After much discussion, we decided we would really rather go on a longer trip and venture further up north.

We have 10 days for the trip and decided on Vancouver since it's somewhere my wife and I have always wanted to go. We're deciding to spend 2 full days in Vancouver and spend a full day in Portland on the way back home.

My question is is about the first leg of the trip. We're planning on doing a large chunk of driving on day one. My question is whether we should drive towards Bend on Hwy 97 or should we shoot to Eugene on I-5 the whole way. They both seem to have the same ETA coming from the Bay Area in Ca. For this portion we're looking for ease, convenience easy places to stop along the way.

Does anyone have any recommendations on one vs the other? We'll have a Cherokee toad and traveling with a 6 year old and an almost 4 year old.

Thanks in advance! Also open to any other recommendations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Vancouver is only 6 miles north of Portland so not much difference. Oh wait you're probably referring to the newer one north of the US/Canadian border, right?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #3

Sorry, forgot about the US Vancouver. Yes, we're driving the Vancouver, B.C.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Let me throw in a third option, particulary since you will be travelling with children. My wife is from BC so we have taken this route a few times with one or more of our grand children. It will take you longer, but very scenic with lots to see and do on the Hwy 101 portion.

Hwy 101 North to San Jose
I-680 North to
I-780 North (near Benicia) to
I-80 North (near Vallejo) to
Hwy 37 West (near Marine World) to
Lakeville Hwy North to
Hwy 116 West to
Hwy 101 North to Reedsport
Hwy 38 East to
I-5 North to Vancouver
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:07 PM   #5

Thanks, BobGed. I'm more inclined to go I-5 because we plan to do the scenic 101 / hwy 1 as it's own trip in the near future as well. Just looking for a quick way to BC so that we can dedicate a few days there to enjoy.

Would you say I5 would be the quickest (although less scenic)?

We're hoping to be to Eugene by the end of day 1 and then drive to Seattle on day 2 and spend some time there in the evening. Because we've already been we don't need to spend too much time. Then on day 3 get to Vancouver and spend about 2.5 days there. Then on the way back spend about 1.5 days in Portland on the way back (we've also never been).
Old 04-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
Would you say I5 would be the quickest (although less scenic)?
I have also been on Hwy 97 which is also pretty scenic, however I-5 would definitely the fastest route.

Hope you have a great trip.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #7

Bay Area to Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I have also been on Hwy 97 which is also pretty scenic, however I-5 would definitely the fastest route.

Hope you have a great trip.

Any recommendations on the border crossings? I've read they can be tight. It sounds like there might not be a wide lane..
Old 04-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #8

When you get to Portland, check out Multnomah falls and the Columbia river gorge area. Many beautiful water falls in the area. Multnomah falls is 620 ft high and is right on the side of the highway about 30 minutes east of portland. There are some hydro dams that you can tour for free in the area as well. One is the Bonneville dam. Dont forget to stop at the Redwoods National forest and others and see the giant redwood trees in Northern California.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #9

If you head north on I-5 and plan on staying at/near Eugene, OR, consider Seven Feathers RV Resort. It is very clean and kid friendly (indoor pool). We stayed there recently as place to decompress after a few days on the road. Crater Lake is just a few hours away. Nice for a day trip.

I agree with the other post about the Falls, Dams, Locks, and fish ladders just east of Portland out I-84. Just a wonderful for you and your young children to see.

As for crossing the border into Vancouver, BC, the straight line crossing is at Blaine, WA. I've done that before. Very congested. My preferred crossing now is just a bit East in Sumas, WA. Less congested, but (maybe) slightly out of your way.

Enjoy your journey. Vancouver, BC is a wonderful base camp to exploring the western BC area. Vancouver Island is a short ferry ride away. Butchart Gardens are spectacular as is the rest of the island.

Lots of happy memories, yet to be made, are in your future. Don't forget your passports!

Travel safely.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote