RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bay City Texas ?

Wife has a potential nursing contract in matagorda regional med center - looking for a nice park for a 15 week stay

Any nearby recommendations? I have allstays but not much showing up

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

I made reservations at Bay City Holiday RV park once. Paid about $100 in advance just so they would reserve my spot. Got there and they didn't reserve it. They put me in "overflow" spots, which are just in the yard of the neighboring badly run down trailer park. The sewer connection was about a foot above the ground so I had a difficult time emptying my tanks. That stuff doesn't flow uphill well at all. Had to get water from a similar site about 100 yards away. They did provide extra water hoses to make up that length. I was told I would be moved into the real park in a couple of days, so I just stuck with it. A week later, they still didn't have the spot I reserved, so I moved parks. After trying to discuss the issues with the owner, I ended up having to put a stop payment order on the check because they refused to provide me the spot I reserved or give me a refund for it, while blaming me for the problem. I would definitely not recommend them.

I moved to 60 North RV park. No shade, but the concrete pad was level and everything worked. The owner was nice too. I would recommend them if you're looking for a place.

There isn't much in Bay City, so hopefully you aren't looking for lots of food choices or any entertainment. 9er's Grill had a decent breakfast that I ate a few times. K-2 Steakhouse also made a pretty good steak that wasn't overcooked like most places do. I didn't try any of the other places during my stay there. I did my own cooking.

Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the great feedback.

I think we will skip Bay City nursing opportunity - we want to go to places that have some activities and a good selection of RV parks to choose from.

Appreciate it - Holiday RV was one of the places we were looking at 😒

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
I made reservations at Bay City Holiday RV park once. Paid about $100 in advance just so they would reserve my spot. Got there and they didn't reserve it. They put me in "overflow" spots, which are just in the yard of the neighboring badly run down trailer park. The sewer connection was about a foot above the ground so I had a difficult time emptying my tanks. That stuff doesn't flow uphill well at all. Had to get water from a similar site about 100 yards away. They did provide extra water hoses to make up that length. I was told I would be moved into the real park in a couple of days, so I just stuck with it. A week later, they still didn't have the spot I reserved, so I moved parks. After trying to discuss the issues with the owner, I ended up having to put a stop payment order on the check because they refused to provide me the spot I reserved or give me a refund for it, while blaming me for the problem. I would definitely not recommend them.

I moved to 60 North RV park. No shade, but the concrete pad was level and everything worked. The owner was nice too. I would recommend them if you're looking for a place.

There isn't much in Bay City, so hopefully you aren't looking for lots of food choices or any entertainment. 9er's Grill had a decent breakfast that I ate a few times. K-2 Steakhouse also made a pretty good steak that wasn't overcooked like most places do. I didn't try any of the other places during my stay there. I did my own cooking.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
I think we will skip Bay City nursing opportunity - we want to go to places that have some activities and a good selection of RV parks to choose from.
It's not terribly far from Houston, which is full of activities. About an hour and a half to two and a half depending on where in Houston you're going. It would work for a day trip, but not something you can do in an evening realistically.

I went there because I had to for work. I had a one month job at the Oxea chemical plant there. It's definitely not somewhere with a decent selection of anything but fast food joints. Activities are essentially non-existent there.

If you're going somewhere for 3 months, definitely consider other options first.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Wife has a potential nursing contract in matagorda regional med center - looking for a nice park for a 15 week stay

Any nearby recommendations? I have allstays but not much showing up

Thanks
I have stayed at 60 North Rv Park, and agree with the previous poster. There is actually a lot around bay city. You are not far several interesting areas. I don't know if I would forego it. Take a look what is in the area. Corpus Cristy isn't far away. Sometimes those litte town have gems around them. That's my opinion.
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem is this time of year, the few open spots are flooded with snowbirds. Most of the parks are pretty full year around with construction workers.

Google, RV parks, Bay City, Texas..
https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+p...hrome&ie=UTF-8

You may have to expand your search area.

Ken

Tags
texas