Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #1

Mike's Texas Style BBQ
Inks Lake State Park, Texas
April, 2006

This review is a bit different then most of the ones I've done. It also starts on a different note then most will have become accustom to. Sometimes you just have to break the mold and try something new. Please read on.

RANT, "ON".

Now we have all been in different parks, private or public, where someone has gotten the approval to set up a business of some sort. Could be boat rental, firewood sales or some kind of service. In my experience, these outfits often sell an inferior product/service at an exorbitant price. Why, you ask? Only one reason. They can! They have a corner on the market and know it. Quite often we need what they are selling and don't want to drive a bazillion miles to get it. This is called "supply and demand" and I have no objection to it so don't expect me to rail on against it because I won't. I just make a choice between buying, driving or doing without. I usually do without.

RANT, "OFF".

The above having been said, I have found a guy selling an outstanding product at a fair price in one of our state parks. Down in Inks Lake State Park, just a few miles west of Burnet, Texas, Mike Matlock has set up shop to sell Texas Style BBQ that is so remarkable, I felt compelled to mention it here. He is putting out a better BBQ beef sandwich then many of the "brick and mortar" places I've come across over the years. And to top it off, he's doing it out of a converted trailer.

I'm not sure how Mike got his start at this. He has indicated that he has a past history with the United States Marine Corps (Semper Fi) and has said that he is running cattle in addition to making BBQ for campers. He's told me that he had great difficulty convincing the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department that allowing him to run this business in the park would be a good idea. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the best decisions the department ever made.

Mike's stand is centrally located about 100 yards west of the Park Store. His menu consists of three different sandwiches; sliced beef, chopped beef and BBQ sausage. At this time, the selling price for each sandwich is $4.95 and each comes with pickles and onions. I would suggest that you be sure that your hungry if you choose any of these three. Mike is not the least bit stingy about loading on the meat. All three listed meats plus BBQ ribs are also available "by the pound". In addition you can purchase potato salad and coleslaw to fill out your meal. Beverages are not available at his stand. As part of his agreement with the Parks Department, he is not allowed to compete with the Park Store (I˜ve mentioned many times what a great store Inks Lake SP has and nothing has changed). Beverages, chips and the like are available there. For those who prefer not to mess around cooking breakfast, Mike also offers a Breakfast Burrito. Haven't tried it myself but have heard many speak highly of it.

If there is anything wrong with Mike's Texas Style BBQ it's that he's only open on the weekends. By the same token, since DW are down at Inks Lake State Park a week at a time, I'm not at all sure my waistline could stand much more. One of his sandwiches is something I look forward to each time we head down that way. If your at the park or even close, don't pass this up.

Happy Camping!

Pictures: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=32172761&f=
Due to limited capacity, pictures associated with this review may only be available at the above link for a short time. If you find that the link is no longer active, feel free to contact me via "Private Message" and I will do my best to e-mail the related pictures to you.

Note: Information and site references contained in this review were current as of this writing. I apologize for any errors you may find and will attempt to correct them if notified.
Turn Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #2

Mike's Texas Style BBQ
Inks Lake State Park, Texas
April, 2006

This review is a bit different then most of the ones I've done. It also starts on a different note then most will have become accustom to. Sometimes you just have to break the mold and try something new. Please read on.

RANT, "ON".

Now we have all been in different parks, private or public, where someone has gotten the approval to set up a business of some sort. Could be boat rental, firewood sales or some kind of service. In my experience, these outfits often sell an inferior product/service at an exorbitant price. Why, you ask? Only one reason. They can! They have a corner on the market and know it. Quite often we need what they are selling and don't want to drive a bazillion miles to get it. This is called "supply and demand" and I have no objection to it so don't expect me to rail on against it because I won't. I just make a choice between buying, driving or doing without. I usually do without.

RANT, "OFF".

The above having been said, I have found a guy selling an outstanding product at a fair price in one of our state parks. Down in Inks Lake State Park, just a few miles west of Burnet, Texas, Mike Matlock has set up shop to sell Texas Style BBQ that is so remarkable, I felt compelled to mention it here. He is putting out a better BBQ beef sandwich then many of the "brick and mortar" places I've come across over the years. And to top it off, he's doing it out of a converted trailer.

I'm not sure how Mike got his start at this. He has indicated that he has a past history with the United States Marine Corps (Semper Fi) and has said that he is running cattle in addition to making BBQ for campers. He's told me that he had great difficulty convincing the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department that allowing him to run this business in the park would be a good idea. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the best decisions the department ever made.

Mike's stand is centrally located about 100 yards west of the Park Store. His menu consists of three different sandwiches; sliced beef, chopped beef and BBQ sausage. At this time, the selling price for each sandwich is $4.95 and each comes with pickles and onions. I would suggest that you be sure that your hungry if you choose any of these three. Mike is not the least bit stingy about loading on the meat. All three listed meats plus BBQ ribs are also available "by the pound". In addition you can purchase potato salad and coleslaw to fill out your meal. Beverages are not available at his stand. As part of his agreement with the Parks Department, he is not allowed to compete with the Park Store (I˜ve mentioned many times what a great store Inks Lake SP has and nothing has changed). Beverages, chips and the like are available there. For those who prefer not to mess around cooking breakfast, Mike also offers a Breakfast Burrito. Haven't tried it myself but have heard many speak highly of it.

If there is anything wrong with Mike's Texas Style BBQ it's that he's only open on the weekends. By the same token, since DW are down at Inks Lake State Park a week at a time, I'm not at all sure my waistline could stand much more. One of his sandwiches is something I look forward to each time we head down that way. If your at the park or even close, don't pass this up.

Happy Camping!

Pictures: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=32172761&f=
Due to limited capacity, pictures associated with this review may only be available at the above link for a short time. If you find that the link is no longer active, feel free to contact me via "Private Message" and I will do my best to e-mail the related pictures to you.

Note: Information and site references contained in this review were current as of this writing. I apologize for any errors you may find and will attempt to correct them if notified.
Turn Key is offline   Reply With Quote