Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #15

O.K. I just called the state park and talked to a woman ranger...sorry, didn't get her name.

She stated that they have a capacity limit for day use and when there are no more parking spaces they will not let you in.

She stated if you already have a campsite and you were out of the park shopping or whatever with your vehicle, you will have to wait in line with the others but you most definitely will be allowed back in to your campsite if you have the appropriate tags on your vehicle.

She couldn't understand what information I had about the confusion as the workers definitely know the procedure.

Bottom line - no problem getting back in if you already have a campsite.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
She stated if you already have a campsite and you were out of the park shopping or whatever with your vehicle, you will have to wait in line with the others but you most definitely will be allowed back in to your campsite if you have the appropriate tags on your vehicle.

Bottom line - no problem getting back in if you already have a campsite.
Does this mean I would have to wait in the line of day users that they are denying access to the park until a current day user exits?

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Does this mean I would have to wait in the line of day users that they are denying access to the park until a current day user exits?
I don't know the full procedure all she said was yes, you would have to wait in line. I posted a link to the park brochure. I got the phone # off it and left a message and was called back by the ranger. If you have further questions you could call.

This could mean that those being denied access would be told to park somewhere by the gate until the next person leaves. Therefore, the line would move.

Or perhaps they'd have someone walking by each car to find out their requirement.

She kept stressing that campers already on a site would be let in so they must have some procedure for doing that.

If the park is so busy it's not a place we would want to go.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
We had a not-so-pleasant stay at St. Vrain State Park, which is near Denver. We couldn't get a site at Cherry Creek. We will never go back to St. Vrain, and this makes me think their state park system - at least in the Denver area - has a problem. That's absolutely nuts to make you wait to go to your RV. Typical stupid government decision.
I am curious about your stay at St. Vrain State Park. I live in Longmont about 6 miles from there and have stayed in the park many times and never had a bad experience. Did you have problems with the personnel or with the campground itself?

Can you share what issues you had? I have not been there since the major flood of the area in 2013. Did the problem you had there have anything to do with that? I think they were closed for about a year after the flood before they reopened. Also, I have always stayed on the older (north) end of the park where there are lots of trees and several lakes and the St. Vrain river frontage. Never stayed at the new section which is kind of barren. Only foliage over there are new trees planted maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

Jack
Old 07-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
On the Parker Road entrance the gate is never closed on the right side of the guard shack. Many campers use this park to visit friends and family in the Greater Denver area. Park employees leave for the evening around 5-6 PM and close the pass through gate to the left of the guard post but not the right side entrance. If they closed all gates visitor could not get back in the park after having dinner in Denver. I've entered the park at every hour from 4pm through midnight without a problem probably 100 times over a 5 years span. They can't close the gates for emergency access. Call 911 and the police and EMS service have to be able to enter the park. This happened to one camper who had heart problems.
Not sure you repeating the same thing over and over again is of any help. Glad you had nice experiences there. That does NOT MEAN everyone that has gone there had the same experience. Surely you can understand that?
Old 07-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
I am curious about your stay at St. Vrain State Park. I live in Longmont about 6 miles from there and have stayed in the park many times and never had a bad experience. Did you have problems with the personnel or with the campground itself?

Can you share what issues you had? I have not been there since the major flood of the area in 2013. Did the problem you had there have anything to do with that? I think they were closed for about a year after the flood before they reopened. Also, I have always stayed on the older (north) end of the park where there are lots of trees and several lakes and the St. Vrain river frontage. Never stayed at the new section which is kind of barren. Only foliage over there are new trees planted maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

Jack
Sent you a PM
Old 07-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Not sure you repeating the same thing over and over again is of any help. Glad you had nice experiences there. That does NOT MEAN everyone that has gone there had the same experience. Surely you can understand that?
I'm not trying to repeat anything. What I'm trying to do is clarify the information and dispel any misleading information. Regarding waiting in line during normal, remember there are 2 lanes around the guard post. The one on the right takes fees, issues passes, etc. This line is always backed up taking time with each vehicle entering the park etc. This is probably the lane the host was speaking of. The lane going the the left of the guard post is for vehicles with passes and they are waved in at about 5 MPH. Reservations for the summer months for any length of time must be made about a year in advance to get the 65 ft full service pads. This speaks to how popular this park is.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Be cautious of Cherry Creek State Park in Denver

It is a one lane road leading up to the gate, so if there is a line, there is no way to get to the front. The backup on the East entry was about 100 cars. (Big guess)

When the park is "full" of day users, then they will let one car in if a car leaves. So you have to wait in line. There is no logistical mechanism to enable you to go to the front. And if you could it doesn't matter if you already have a MH in a reserved spot. You wait until someone leaves once you get to the front of the line. Those are the facts of how they run the park which was confirmed by 3 different park employees.

So the whole point is don't go to the park if it's going to be a busy weekend!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
I'm not trying to repeat anything. What I'm trying to do is clarify the information and dispel any misleading information. Regarding waiting in line during normal, remember there are 2 lanes around the guard post. The one on the right takes fees, issues passes, etc. This line is always backed up taking time with each vehicle entering the park etc. This is probably the lane the host was speaking of. The lane going the the left of the guard post is for vehicles with passes and they are waved in at about 5 MPH. Reservations for the summer months for any length of time must be made about a year in advance to get the 65 ft full service pads. This speaks to how popular this park is.
From your 5, 10 whatever posts we have all figured out that you have never been at the park when it was at max capacity. You're not adding anything to the discussion. If the park is closed you have to wait in line with everyone else and wait for someone to leave. It took several people 4 hours to get back to their MH.
I'm sure you know the secret handshake but that's not really helpful when the park is closed.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
This is my experience at the park, as well, TexasTom:

Quote:
It is a one lane road leading up to the gate, so if there is a line, there is no way to get to the front.... When the park is "full" of day users, then they will let one car in if a car leaves. So you have to wait in line. There is no logistical mechanism to enable you to get to the front.... You wait until someone leaves....
The additional lane to get around the guardhouse does not appear until you are about 75 feet from the guardhouse. Until that time, you are waiting in line with everyone else on a small, curvy entry road.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
We had a not-so-pleasant stay at St. Vrain State Park, which is near Denver. We couldn't get a site at Cherry Creek. We will never go back to St. Vrain, and this makes me think their state park system - at least in the Denver area - has a problem. That's absolutely nuts to make you wait to go to your RV. Typical stupid government decision.
We've been to St. Vrain many times and always enjoyed it. Sorry you had a bad experience
Old 07-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
From your 5, 10 whatever posts we have all figured out that you have never been at the park when it was at max capacity. You're not adding anything to the discussion. If the park is closed you have to wait in line with everyone else and wait for someone to leave. It took several people 4 hours to get back to their MH.
I'm sure you know the secret handshake but that's not really helpful when the park is closed.
The best time to visit any very popular park close to an urban center is in the off hours. Not Saturday morning or the beginning of a holiday weekend. Chatfield and Cherry Park are very popular with the locals who make up most if not all of the traffic at the gate area. Cherry Creek has another larger entrance area at the Dam. Yes I usually arrive from Kansas on our 3rd day of a trip from Atlanta. We usually arrive in the afternoon and have never had a problem. If the Parker gate is the issue I'd go over to the larger main entrance off the Dam road. Chatfield also has other entrances. The key is to avoid the locals which is very easy for campers. The issue is you can get back to your motorhome but you need to know the area and be prepared to make adjustments to avoid traffic and the locals.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
jeeze gdawgs... we got it

the point IS that he gave us some good information that if we went out to lunch we should think about bringing back supper so can eat supper while we wait in line if we are unfamiliar with the area...
Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Be cautious of Cherry Creek State Park in Denver

What is interesting is Gdawgs is trying to provide options on getting back in and some folks don't want to hear it.
I have come to believe some peoples comfort level these days is just being angry.
All the time.